Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: [Fan-Naut] Sonja, the Spider Seamstress
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:06 am 

Sonja, the Spider Seamstress

Overview:
Sonja works well as a ganker, but is primarily a support character that focuses on breaking up enemy 3-man-lane-stacks and Voltar pain trains through piercing abilities and the power to somewhat negate the effectiveness of bodyblocking. Her two abilities combo pretty clearly by threading the entire enemy team and then doing single target burst damage to one which spreads to everyone else.

Backstory:
Born to a poor critter farming family in Alpha-Phi D-168, Sonja seemed to have a knack for weaving and sewing. She would gaze up at the twirling twin stars and weave together great tapestries on an old loom in the broken down garage. Soon, her parents started to notice her amazing talent and began selling her art at the local market, where she acquired crowds of attention. Wealthy merchants traveled from foreign solar systems to marvel at the magic of Sonja's threads.
Eventually, Blabl Zork got wind of the wonders of this little girl and had to see it for himself. But to amuse him, he wanted to make a game out of it. He invited her to his headquarters, for a great competition with the best of the Galactron dimension. He offered the winner a lifetime's worth of solar and a gilded seat beside him. And so the competition began.
Her opponents, the masters of the craft, began to spin bold tales of the Awesomenauts and their heroics, in the thick of grand fights and proving courageous and triumphant. Sonja, on the other hand, wove the simple beauty of the stars, hung in peace, and the swirling death and destruction of the war consuming the tranquility from the unraveled end. Blabl Zork, furious at the insult and the mockery, abruptly ended the competition with a fiery eruption. Then and there, he ordered his men to take her, and transformed her into the creature she became, a hideous mix of human and spider. From there, he took her wide-eyed innocence and indoctrinated her into the Awesomenauts. But some say that the little girl can be seen deep down in the depths of her pupils...

Appearance:
Sonja is a strange mix of spider and human features. Her upper body is mostly human, but is still very bony, wiry, and skeletal while she walks around on multiple spider legs that are for the most part hidden under a large hoop skirt. Think the spider woman from Coraline mixed with the Dark Masquerade Qitara skin. She wields an oversized needle, from which red thread unspools from somewhere in her dress. Her animations also reflect her brutal efficiency, moving quickly and without extra flair.
The Beldam from Coraline drawn by Bailee1660 on DeviantArt.
Theme Music: Something with a similar style/ambience as this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnIUVHtLC08

Mechanics:

Movement/Utility: Arachna-Crawl
Sonja can stick to walls and ceilings indefinitely, and jump off from them as well. She only has a single, high jump, but it is relatively quick. She can move faster than about two thirds of the cast.

Hitpoints: 1300
Movement Speed: 8.1
Acceleration: 40
Jump Height: 9.4

Ability 1: Voodoo Doll
Sonja winds up and throws a spirit force in an arc at an enemy, only latching on to enemy nauts. The target is then marked for up to four seconds, at any point Sonja can terminate it prematurely by driving her needle into the doll and dealing destruction damage to her target. While marked, the target receives an amplify damage debuff.

Cooldown: 8 seconds (after destruction)
Destruction Damage: 275 (with amplify debuff increases to 316)
Max Mark Duration: 4 seconds
Amplify Debuff: 15%
Range: 6-8 (around rift and totem range)

Ability 2: Red Thread
Sonja winds up in a clear telegraph, and throws her needle fast in a straight line. It pierces through all enemies and embeds itself in any walls, expiring at max range otherwise. The needle deals piercing damage to every enemy it hits, and all Awesomenauts that are hit are connected by an unbreakable thread for three seconds. Any damage (outside of the thread*) that a connected naut receives is then instantly applied at a reduced rate to all other connected nauts.

Cooldown: 10 seconds (after needle thrown)
Thread Duration: 3 seconds
Windup Time: 0.5 seconds
Piercing Damage: 180
Projectile Range: 19
Projectile Speed: 80
Thread Damage Rate: 20% (If naut A takes 100 damage, connected nauts B and C will take 20 damage each)

Auto-Attack: Bob and Weave
Sonja thrusts her needle forward, piercing all enemies in a long melee range.

Damage: 110
Attack Speed: 100
Range: 4

Upgrades:

Voodoo Doll
1. Heart-Shaped Pin Cushion:
[2 stages|175 solar] Increases destruction damage by 15/30%.
Soft and full of love!

2. Rainmaker:
[2 stages|185 solar] Adds 30/60 DPS to target while marked.
Just one cloud to follow you wherever you go.

3. Tiny Zurian Doctor:
[1 stage|210 solar] For every 0.5 seconds the target is marked, they will drop a healthpack that heals 40 hp.
You might want to get Voltar to patch this one up, doc.

4. GPS Tracking Doll:
[1 stage|240 solar] While marked, the target is switched to Team None, which is the same team as the creeps and solar boss.** However, Red Thread and turrets regard their team as unchanged.
Say cheese for big brother!

5. Magnet-stuffed Bear:
[1 stage|180 solar] Destroying the doll will give a small knockback, pulling them towards Sonja.
Come back here, you bad boy!

6. Little Zurian Workshop:
[2 stages|135 solar] Reduces cooldown by 1/2 seconds.
It's like Santa, except for dolls.

Red Thread
1. Spidey Senses Sensor:
[1 stage|275 solar] All "simple" debuffs are shared via thread (complete list: stun, slow, snare, silence, amplify, weaken, blind).
Now for only 9.99!

2. Epitaph-Writing Monkey:
[1 stage|230 solar] If one naut dies, all other connected nauts take half of their current health in damage (does not spread via thread).
He plays the cymbals too!

3. Cupid's Bow:
[1 stage|175 solar] Allies can be connected to the thread, receiving a 20% lifesteal effect from enemies that are damaged.
Side effects may include: unruly totems, 300 ping, and red triangles of death.

4. Spiderman Suit:
[1 stage|190 solar] If the needle hits the ground or a wall before its range expires, a second click will grapple Sonja to this location.
No refunds.

5. Microneedle:
[2 stages|180 solar] Increases the piercing damage to nauts by 20/40% and to droids by 100/200%.
Better than those used ones on the streets!

6. Genji Silk:
[1 stage|160 solar] Increases the duration of connection by 1.5 seconds.
Imported all the way from Sorona!

Bob and Weave
1. Sparkly Star Candy Sequins:
[2 stages|175 solar] Increases damage by 15/30%.
The best bait for an unsuspecting Nibbs...

2. Frog's Legs:
[2 stages|120 solar] Adds a 10/20% lifesteal.
They're great for patching up mistakes, but it's hard to resist eating them!

3. Needle Glasses:
[1 stage|165 solar] Voodoo Doll destruction damage will be increased by 40% if Sonja's last three auto-attacks hit that target.
The eyes of these babies let you see Derpl's brain!

4. Wind-up Baby:
[1 stage|180 solar] Sonja's next jab deals 100% more damage if she doesn't auto-attack anything for 2 seconds.
Peekaboo! Where are you?

5. Basilisk Fang:
[2 stages|170 solar] Adds 50/100 damage over 2 seconds.
Better than Cuddles, that's for sure.

6. Weavemaster 3000:
[1 stage|160 solar] Bob and weave does 30% more damage vs. enemies that are connected by thread.
Spend less time sewing and more time chewing!

Utility
1. Power Pills Turbo
2. Med-i'-can
3. Snail Juice:
[1 stage|135 solar] Increases movement speed by 5% and leaves a 10% slow trail that lasts for 1 second.
WARNING: Do not insert in eyes or mouth.
4. Wraith Stone
5. Piggy Bank
6. Baby Kuri Mammoth

*If thread damage could bounce back in forth, it would lead to an infinite geometric series that does converge, but it just ends up as a slightly bigger number. Fun math, but not really necessary to spend processing time computing.

**This has the effect of being unable to damage creeps/solar boss, as well as being able to take/deal damage to/from both teams. Friendly turrets are changed so that they don't target Team None (this would be too OP).

If the leaderboards were truly always designed to be strictly for the matchmaker's consideration only and not for players to climb, I'll film myself drinking several litres of condensed milk and PayPal you all £1,000

Last edited by EgyptFalcon on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: [Fan-Naut] Sonja, the Spider Seamstress
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:12 pm 

From a technical standpoint, this fan 'naut is really well designed. She's got a very intuitive design and I can already see how both her skills and upgrade can synergise together. She could use some tweaks though.

Voodoo Doll at base is definitely too powerful; especially if the destruction damage benefits from the debuff. It combines both strong damage, a strong debuf and fairly short cooldown. I'd definitely tone down the damage to maybe 250 damage and up the cooldown to 11s. Also, specify a range since that's also an important part of balance. GPS Tracking Doll might need to be more comprehensive about how it affects team specific elements like the barriers that go down when turrets are destroyed.

Red Thread seems fine at base, but I might make the projectile slower because 80 projectile speed is pretty fast for such a potentially deadly attack. Spidey Senses Sensor is very strong for what is does and could use either a higher price or a limiter like 'the first simple debuff inflicted after being threaded is shared via thread'. Epitaph-Writing Monkey is definitely too strong, given how many glass-cannon character the game has. Maybe a powerful poison/debuff is inflicted on all other nauts on the thread when one dies. Or maybe just have it upgrade Thread Damage Rate since there is no upgrade for that. Spiderman Suit is a little cheap for how good it sounds since you've basically given her an escape tool on a decent cooldown.

Bob and Weave is fine at base. I think she has too many potential damage ups though; especially for a support character. I think it could use a few utility upgrades to replace some, like maybe a ranged attack if no nauts are in melee range.

Character wise, I think she could bring something new to the table instead of another dark and sinister spider 'naut. Also, her backstory is out of place tonally with the Awesomenauts universe. Maybe she could be a kind, elderly character who happens to be a giant spider monster with dark powers or something instead. Basically make her funny in some way like pretty much every other naut.

Post subject: Re: [Fan-Naut] Sonja, the Spider Seamstress
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:47 pm 

BrassAsteria wrote:
From a technical standpoint, this fan 'naut is really well designed. She's got a very intuitive design and I can already see how both her skills and upgrade can synergise together. She could use some tweaks though.

Thank you! <3

BrassAsteria wrote:
Voodoo Doll at base is definitely too powerful; especially if the destruction damage benefits from the debuff. It combines both strong damage, a strong debuf and fairly short cooldown. I'd definitely tone down the damage to maybe 250 damage and up the cooldown to 11s. Also, specify a range since that's also an important part of balance. GPS Tracking Doll might need to be more comprehensive about how it affects team specific elements like the barriers that go down when turrets are destroyed.

I was going for that high single target damage since most of the abilities in this game do high damage and also pierce/aoe, but I see how 400 could be a little overbearing on a support character (since I forgot to factor in the 15% amp). The cooldown begins after you detonate, so if you wish to get the full mark effect it will essentially be a 12 second cooldown. As for GPS Tracking Doll, every part of the game considers them as Team None except for turrets and Red Thread (which consider their team unchanged). This means that the base and teamwalls will be unpassable, shop won't heal them, etc.

BrassAsteria wrote:
Red Thread seems fine at base, but I might make the projectile slower because 80 projectile speed is pretty fast for such a potentially deadly attack. Spidey Senses Sensor is very strong for what is does and could use either a higher price or a limiter like 'the first simple debuff inflicted after being threaded is shared via thread'. Epitaph-Writing Monkey is definitely too strong, given how many glass-cannon character the game has. Maybe a powerful poison/debuff is inflicted on all other nauts on the thread when one dies. Or maybe just have it upgrade Thread Damage Rate since there is no upgrade for that. Spiderman Suit is a little cheap for how good it sounds since you've basically given her an escape tool on a decent cooldown.

I included a small windup time, or at least a very large telegraph to compensate for the projectile speed (because so many deadly attacks don't have sufficient telegraphs). The reason I wanted such a high projectile speed is so that you could reliably hit multiple people. If you think about it, Red Thread hitting only one naut is somewhat of a waste, as it's only 180 damage with no other positives. I love Spidey Senses Sensor too much to nerf it (and as you said its simplicity), but I'll at least give it a solid price increase even though that won't make it less potent/mandatory. On second thoughts, Epitaph-Writing is indeed too strong ^_^ but I wanted to strongly incentivize focusing down one character. Didn't really know how to price Spiderman Suit since it wasn't damage, so thanks for the input.

BrassAsteria wrote:
Bob and Weave is fine at base. I think she has too many potential damage ups though; especially for a support character. I think it could use a few utility upgrades to replace some, like maybe a ranged attack if no nauts are in melee range.

Agreed. It's just hard to come up with utility upgrades. I'll try my best though.

BrassAsteria wrote:
Character wise, I think she could bring something new to the table instead of another dark and sinister spider 'naut. Also, her backstory is out of place tonally with the Awesomenauts universe. Maybe she could be a kind, elderly character who happens to be a giant spider monster with dark powers or something instead. Basically make her funny in some way like pretty much every other naut.

Yeah, I think I went a little overboard. :blabl: I was trying to recreate the Greek myth of Arachne in the Awesomenauts universe, but reading the other backstories is getting me to rethink that idea.

Thanks so much for the feedback, it was all on point!

If the leaderboards were truly always designed to be strictly for the matchmaker's consideration only and not for players to climb, I'll film myself drinking several litres of condensed milk and PayPal you all £1,000