Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: A reason to play: Solar Point System (Outdated)
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:21 pm 

(Edit: A more improved version of this idea: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26921)

Why do you play Awesomenauts? I don’t want you to answer that question… but I like to make you think about the next thing: “What does Awesomenauts give you for playing it?” If we look purely at what the game gives, not emotions or feelings, the answer to this is: Rating. When you play a game you are granted the magical rating numbers. (Excluding achievement and leveling up, aiming at the large crowd that has them or is satisfied enough to go on without them)

Now… when do we get rating? By winning. The one and only condition that can allow you to get rating is by winning a game. You can play an awesome match of 50 minutes against the best players in the word, imagine that you’re both just 1 grand attack away from victory. And they take it… all. The winner takes it all, the loser gets nothing. That’s what Awesomenauts does hand out.

The Problem:
I do believe that punishing players when they lose a game isn’t the right way to deal with this. Yes you should reward winning, but not punish losing. This creates a must-win attitude which encourages players to do ANYTHING to win a game; premades, bug abusing, boosting just naming some. But can we blame them? They are the puppies that get beaten up when they don’t win the pit-fight against the other puppies. I love this game, but I guess I must blame the system for creating these poor attitudes and bad manners which I don’t like to encounter.

The Question:
How can we still reward winning, but encourage players to keep playing when losing? To keep them on their toes to play as good as they can without punishing them when losing, but actually rewarding them for playing the game. Simple: Reward them for playing a game.

The Soltution:
How? Solar points (SP)! These points are awarded for teamkills, turrets destroyed, winning a game, anything really. Not only the winner, but also the loser gets these points. And what can you do with these points? SHOPPING SPREE! Remember those fancy league symbols? Yeah they’re old stuff now… new fashion says Custom Emblems are trendy! Ever seen those ducks, cats or monkey emblems? You can now buy emblems with your favorite ‘Naut on them for Solar Points! Not only ‘Nauts but also their abilities, health creeps and even the mighty Solar Boss and Worm will get one! You can represent the thing you want to, showing to everyone how awesome you think Fruggo Yay is! Shooooow usss!! Ok:

Solar Points Emblem Shop:

Special Skins:
But… but… but… there is more! As grand prize you can even unlock a special skin (which can then be purchased (#business model :derp: )) to show everyone that you are a really experienced Froggy G or maybe you’re a Lonestar! These will be very special skins which only the most experienced players might have. Examples? Gnawbot would’ve been perfect for it… but did I hear that maybe Gnagon wants to participate as well…?
Thanks to Reds94 for allowing me to use Silky Smooth Genji. His thread:(viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19253)

How much!?
The average game would grant 250+/- Solar Points, depending on how much you did! It will take about 200 games to get a sweet gold medal, with your favorite Awesomenaut on it, in front of your name. While it takes about 500 to unlock a special skin (Come on... you simply must buy this when you get this far!) Other ideas for Solar Point purchasable are things like: Double prestige level speed, Unlocking locked skills when prestiged and more!

Solar Points explanation:
A game of 15 minutes gives the average player 250 solar. Since we don't want to encourage killfarming, AFKing or just chatting instead of playing we want to reward some bonus objectives with small SP increases. These are the SP Multipliers, currently awarded for: Winning the game, Destroying turrets and getting a total amount of Team Kills. Here's a chart of the current idea:

- A new reason to play, and enjoy the game again!-

Edit: More emblems!

Don't like the normal emblems? Grab a skin based emblem!

Last edited by Corpit on Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Post subject: Re: A reason to play: Solar Point System
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:22 pm 

I don't play for rating, I play for fun. :P

I really like this idea though. It's genius.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:27 pm 

I actually really like this idea. It really encouraged the players to keep playing, even when they're on a losing streak.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:28 pm 

This is really cool. I love the idea!
*throws solar at the screen*

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:30 pm 

Hear hear for brother Corpit!
This should really happen.
Make it happen Ronma - everyone wants a Frog medal.... - aaand it encourages Fun Play :D

This is a well thought-out and a really good idea which would really enhance the game-experience of Awesomenauts. Nothing more to be said except:

Make
It
Happen

~ Embrace your dreams.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:34 pm 

Zold wrote:
Make
It
Happen

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:41 pm 

Pinecone wrote:
Zold wrote:
Make
It
Happen

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:48 pm 

Yes.
Plz.

Plz.
Yes.

.seY
.zlP

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:52 pm 

everythingdrago wrote:
Pinecone wrote:
Zold wrote:
Make
It
Happen

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:11 pm 

Love this idea and can't find a single flaw in it. It might be a good amount of work to actually make, but the Skin idea also makes them profit from it (something I think they deserve :monkey: ).

It would be fun if these Skins was purely awesome and something the community have wished for, like Gnagon, but that's up to them though.

Totally approve of this idea though, would be a great and interesting change ^^

r0estir0bbe wrote:
I always imagine daniel_brony to be a butterfly fairy with this look on his face: ^^
:lolstar: