Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Rules for making fan-games and fan-animations
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:28 am 

Sorry if this sounds completely dumb but:

Me and a couple other folks from here want to work on a free open source game that while very heavily inspired by Nauts in both general gameplay and aesthethic (80s cartoon 2D platformer MOBA, possibly also containing -nauts in the name (but that's undecided)), doesn't have much else in common with it beyond those general themes, but is it still okay for us to work on it (while making it clear that it is not related to Awesomenauts beyond the inspiration)?

I mean, I get that it's probably a question I could answer myself but I'm paranoid and would rather make sure that we're safe early than having to deal with unnecessary legal shenanigans later.

(plus beyond the early brainstorming we haven't even started yet...but again, that's why I'm here now and not later.)

Steam | Discord Tag: Mes#5930
Yes, hello.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:54 am 

Maks wrote:
Sorry if this sounds completely dumb but:

Me and a couple other folks from here want to work on a free open source game that while very heavily inspired by Nauts in both general gameplay and aesthethic (80s cartoon 2D platformer MOBA, possibly also containing -nauts in the name (but that's undecided)), doesn't have much else in common with it beyond those general themes, but is it still okay for us to work on it (while making it clear that it is not related to Awesomenauts beyond the inspiration)?

I mean, I get that it's probably a question I could answer myself but I'm paranoid and would rather make sure that we're safe early than having to deal with unnecessary legal shenanigans later.

(plus beyond the early brainstorming we haven't even started yet...but again, that's why I'm here now and not later.)

As long as you're not using characters, settings, or plot elements explicitly from Awesomenauts you should be good. You can't copyright a genre.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:55 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

If it is clearly not Awesomenauts and just using the same general ideas like you describe, then it is just a different game that happens to be somewhat similar. Nothing wrong with that.

If you actually use the word "Nauts" in the title or names or designs of our characters then it becomes a fan-game. Fan-games are also allowed, but under the conditions mentioned in the starting post of this topic.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:03 pm 

Joost wrote:
If you actually use the word "Nauts" in the title or names or designs of our characters then it becomes a fan-game. Fan-games are also allowed, but under the conditions mentioned in the starting post of this topic.

Funnily enough, Maks decided to change to title a little while ago so it doesn't contain "nauts" because it was already used multiple times and he did not want to cause confusion :ayla:

game needs more drastic, controversial changes so i can read more salty posts

Kailler wrote:
Democracy. Does. Not. Work.

Steam

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:35 pm 

Joost wrote:
If it is clearly not Awesomenauts and just using the same general ideas like you describe, then it is just a different game that happens to be somewhat similar. Nothing wrong with that.

Thanks for the clarification then. :thumb:
(and yeah, I changed the name since it was already used elsewhere so there's that too)

Steam | Discord Tag: Mes#5930
Yes, hello.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:58 am 

what if they use the word "nauts"? lower case

Frankie3nig has been permabanned by Sony 0

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:09 pm 

This is really cool!

Also mostly replying here so I don't forget about it :weedling:

Main: :ix: :party: :ksenia: :rae:
Watch my youtube.