Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Ernest 2.0 - revival update
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:17 am 

This 'Naut is discontinued due to similarities to a character already in game. Designing Ernie was a great and wild ride and an experience I will never forget. But it's time to move forward. Even though Yoolip has different skills, the theme and a bit of the mechanics has already been explored by him. Therefore I would like to say THANK YOU to everyone who helped me with Ernest. You are amazing!

So, Ernest is turning 2 soon (the 22th Dec, to be exact, if any of you wants to make a cake :lolstar:) and I've decided that it wasn't the right thing to do to abandon him. Therefore, I've decided to revisit this little weird summoner once more and make some minor/major changes to him. For the purpose of this, I've decided to start an entirely new topic in order to overcome confusion and clutter. In case you're interested, the old one can be found here: https://www.awesomenauts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25174

Ok, let's begin again... Oh, by the way, I've decided to keep all the images for nostalgia's sake. I apologize to the real artists here, in case your eyes and artistic taste get seriously damaged.

The clockwork robot Ernest, created by a young Victorian scientist, was always destined to teach and help the others in the world of the rapid technological advancement. He has, however, been found too much of an advancement himself and caused nothing but fear amongst people. His creator was banished and an angry mob sentenced Ernest to deactivation. Luckily, his remarkable mechanical skills helped him to build himself a rocket and escape on the last minute.
As a very patient robot, he travelled across the universe and did what he was best at - observed new trends in technology, analyzed them and then taught the others, which led to some interesting situations during war conflicts, as it often happened that one side suddenly had access to a super secret technology of the other one for unknown reasons.
Until one day, many years later, he came across an interesting group called Awesomenauts, whose technology interested him greatly. All their absurd weapons and techniques were like from a silly cartoon. And that was when he decided that his next destiny would be to teach these new, potential students in action. The fact that half of them still don’t know what in the world is “that old thing” doing on the battlefield represents just a minor obstacle.

Ok, so who is this Ernest guy?

Ernest is partially a Support with crowd controlling capabilities and ranged basic attack, partially a Defender or a semi-role I would call "a Turtle" - which is actually quite fitting, as you’ll soon find out. Besides that, he also rewards patience and good timing.

So, let me introduce his kit to you.

Basic stuff

Health - 1550 (I've had a huge approx. 2 years long break now, so I'm not good with the new numbers, I'm afraid I'm probably going to need your hand in this, in case you wouldn't mind helping me out a bit)
Movement speed - 7 (is this even still a thing?)

AA - Throwing Gears

Base attack is basically a gear-like bullet which, by itself, works exactly like a normal ranged attack. It, however, has some impact on his primary skill with every successful hit reducing the cooldown of the "special effect" by 1s (more on that later). So, yeah, basically just a normal bullet, that's it. No boomerangs, CC, fireworks, ghosts or any of that stuff.

Range - 7
Attack speed - 166.7
Damage - 45

Upgrades

The uprgrades are most likely a subject to change, because I've simply taken them from the old thread for now. I hope to renew them a bit in the future, though.

Minibomb 3-pack
- Every 3rd bullet explodes, causing damage in area.
- Cost 150 solar
- 1 phase

Because three is more than one!

Needle
- Piercing
- Cost 135 solar
- 1 phase

It stings!

Gluestick
- DoT (50 per phase)
- Cost 135 solar
- 3 phases

And two becomes one...

Nanobot engineers
- When you kill an enemy naut, he turns into your turtle (see below)
- Cost 180 solar
- 1 phase

Keep in warm dry place.

Rasper
- +9 dmg.
- Cost 120 solar
- 3 phases

Sharp bullets are good bullets.

Oil
- +2 range
- Cost 150 solar
- 2 phases

But it before the inflation strikes again!

Skill 1 - Cane swing

Ok, so this one is going to be a bit more complicated.

This skill has a wide range of different uses. It has two cooldowns - one (short) for the skill itself (resets every time you press the skill button) and one (60 seconds) for a special effect that comes with it, which only resets when the effect is used (in addition to the base cooldown resetting, of course). So, now you maybe think that I'm crazy for proposing a 60 seconds CD, but even though I maybe am, it's irrelevant. Hear me out, please.

Using the skill makes Ernest whack his walking cane, dealing damage. If he is currently airborne, he smashes his cane vertically down, banging his targets in their head and making them fall rapidly downwards (even through glass platforms) for a set distance. If he stands on the ground, he makes a horizontal smash and knocks the hit enemies back a bit. If he hits a friendly turret or summon with the special effect ready, it gets some of its lost life back, resetting the effect CD.

The CD of this effect is lowered by 1s after every successful cane, gear or turtle (see below) attack per enemy hit. If he plays actively enough and times his attacks well, Ernest can sustain turrets very effectively this way.

Poor Lonestar...

Range - 3.2
Attack speed - 95

Cooldown - this is where it gets tricky.

As you already know, we have two of them here :D. The ability circle on the bottom of the screen is simply divided in two halves. One for being able to swing the cane and one for being able to heal friendly turrets. If you hit your turret without the healing cooldown ready, nothing will happen (except for damaging enemies, who get in his way -muhehe- or knocking turtles - more on that later).

Swinging cooldown - 3s (resets every time the skill is used, even if Ernest misses, just like any other ability)
Healing cooldown - 60s (resets only if Ernest heals his turret)

Base stun - 0.3 s
Damage - 150

Upgrades

Sawblade cane
- +20 damage
- Cost 120 solar
- 3 phases

You wouldn't believe how much work it took to combine these two...

Magician's cane
- Invisiblity after using cane + 1.5 sec.
- Cost 165 solar
- 2 phases

Huh? What killed me?
Magic...

Wrench cane
- + 60 friendly turret health
- + 1 solar cost
- Cost 160 solar
- 2 phases

Best hybrid of the year 3579.

Shocking cane
- + 0,3 sec. stun (+ base = 0.6 sec.)
- Cost 175 solar
- 1 phase

Your enemies will be stunned by amazement.

Bubblegum cane
- 45 DoT
- Cost 145 solar
- 2 phases

Comes with strawberry and peppermint flavour.

Bamboo cane
- Range +1
- Cost 150 solar
- 2 phases

Grows in front of your eyes...

I said he is turtling, and now you know why. There is, however, one more reason. Let me introduce.....

Skill 2- Mecha-Turtles

Ok, so Ernest can build these little cute critters that would probably celebrate a great success in the toy industry, but are also surprisingly useful in fights.

Ernest starts building a turtle entity with a hard shell that helps his team push the turrets. When he activates the skill (which has a CD of approx. 12 seconds), it takes him 3 seconds to build one. During this period, he can move but can’t attack or use skills. The skill is set back to CD after the turtle is deployed on the ground at his feet. If he is hit during the building, it is cancelled and the cooldown is set to half of the original amount.

The turtle acts like a droid, even drops solar, just has some additional health. Every time it bites an Awesomenaut or a droid (not a turret), the primary skill's repairing special effect gets its CD reduced by 1s, like after any successful attack. The turtles are vulnerable to knockbacks and, unlike droids, can even be knocked by their own Ernest's cane to help them reach the turret faster (doesn’t count as succesfull attack for Ernie, though).

Mecha-turtle

Health - 800
Damage - 80
Speed - 3.55
Damage against turrets - 100%
Turret shielding - 60
No solar bounty. If someone is so evil that he kills innocent little mecha-turtle, he doesn't deserve any solar.
Ability cooldown - 8 seconds

Upgrades

Backup guide
- When you turtle dies, cane healing cooldown reduces by 2.5s
- Cost 150 solar

There is nothing better than knowing your data are safe.

Protection guide
- + 10% shield
- Mecha-turtle reflects every 3rd bullet
- Cost 160 solar
- 1 phase

Must-have book if you don't have rich friends.

Liberty guide

- Your turtles can fly and shoot (like those guys on AI station)
- Cost 220 solar
- 1 phase

With this book, you will be free. Or at least you will think so...

Thief's guide

- Your turtles can lifesteal for you.
- Lifesteal 50% in first phase, 100% in second
- Cost 180 solar
- 2 phases

The only book that gives you your investitions back!

Anger guide

- +20 damage
- Cost 120 solar
- 3 phases

This book can be a terrible weapon in wrong hands. Wrong hands not included.

Overdrive guide

- -1 second cooldown
- Cost 180 solar
- 3 phases

New version out now! Explosions now happen 10% less often.

Boingy boing - Jump

Ernest can perform a normal, basic jump with the approximate height of the Ted's old one - by pressing the jump button briefly. He can, however, charge his jump by holding the button down for a while and then, after releasing, jumps much higher, depending on the time spent charging (max. height would be approx. from the bottom of AI station 404 to the platform located at the bottom of the jungle, ignoring the anti-gravity). He can't move when charging a jump, but can cancel it by pressing "down". He can attack and use his skills normally, though.

UTILITY ROW

- Power Pills Companion
- Med-I-Can
-Something like Lonestar's boots instead of normal ones (allowing him to charge jump in air - but only once in a "flight", not like Vinnie, who can jump in air all the time - it's basically just extended doublejump)
- Solar Tree
- Piggy Bank
- BKM

Lines

No lines so far.

MORE LINES COMING SOON (maybe) :)

So, that's it. I still have to do LOTS of tweaking and I hope you can help me with it. Constructive criticism is more than wanted.

But Necro, err, Nepro (sorry, I had to make fun of basically reviving a two years old topic), why do you want criticism? Wouldn't you be happy if there were only comments highlighting your birlliant work and dedication? :CocoWink:

Well dear asker. Of course I like positive feedback, but look at this formula:

See? Pretty cool eh?

Known Issues

- He is probably terribly imbalanced.
- He probably wouldn't require ANY skill... Let's see what I can do with that...
- Turtling seems too weak and not worth trying.

- Too similar to Swiggins (personality-wise) and Yuri (backstory-wise), eventually to Lonestar/Genji/Raelynn (Hyper Bull/The Last Pieridae Transformae/T-800 Dome)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To do list

- Fix issues :lolstar:
- Make an original theme for him.
- Maybe some skins? Not needed but, you know...
- More lines (next stretch goal: get above 0)
- Look at his upgrades and tweak them a bit
- Fix the numbers
- Change the image size, these outlines are driving me mad
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Possibilities

- Anything is possible.

Your creations

You wouldn't even believe how happy I am. ircannonfodder created this awesome sketch for Ernest. Look at him and his turtle. Aren't they cute? :ayla:

If you don't want me to post it here, just PM me and I will remove it.

Changelog

6. December 2015 - Ernest 2: Reborn, too many changes for me to be able to make a proper changelog, let's just start over again, shall we?
-To make him fight even more, Piggy bank gets replaced with Solar crab burger.
-And to make him fight EVEN more more more, added a passive ability (you can find it in Basic stuff).
-Removed these three notes from possibilities.
-Also completely changed Cheapskate's cane (it used to reduce solar cost for repairing turrets) and Engineer nanobot price (from 230 to 180).
- Added Your Creations section, feel free to draw Ernest, you will be 100% better than me :D .
25. December 2013 - Thief guide got nerfed.

26. December 2013 - little backstory remake (still the same plot, just with some minor changes, mostly because of Yuri and putting Ernest's origin 100 years to the past).
- added junk system finally (we've got Swiggins and Leon with similar abilities, similar AA's, similar healing, so I gave up :D ). Still not sure if it's original enough for this character not to become Gnaw 2.0 ...
- Extended cane's cooldown from 2.5 sec. to 4.5 sec., giving it 0.5 sec. stun at base
- Removed passive ability
28. December 2013 - I'm still alive :D .
- Marked everything junk-related with red colour (because I'm still not sure about it).
- Quality cane changed to knockback upgrade. Let's hope we will have more builds than knockback+silence+stun all the time... :D
- Changed Sawblade cane to the original Quality cane, giving it +2 damage per stage instead of +1

Big (not that much, I know) update 8. January 2014
- Replaced Cheapskate's cane with bamboo cane (Cheapskate's cane used to make every second healing cane swing solar free)
- Replaced the junk system (it's described on the 2nd page I think, so I won't write about it here) with cooldown-reducing system.
- Nerfed turtle turret damage from 120% to 100%

9. January 2014
- Added link to Chirimorin's userscript (with permission, of course)
- Added version number
- Added a new issue to the issues list (the no-skill-imo one)

11. January 2014
- Replaced Quality cane (knockback) with Magician's cane
- Wiped out some junk-related sentences I forgot to delete
- Wrench cane now gives +4 to healing, instead of +3 and increased price by 20 solar
- Bubblegum cane now has DoT instead of silence
- Ernest now has Piggy Bank again
- Out of the platform knocking
- Smaller healing cost (5 instead of 7)

16. January 2014
- Fixed giant Magician cane's and Backup guide's pictures
- Added some lines

17. January 2014
- Cane swing now heals friendly turret by 20 (5 was useless, thanks Blabble for reminding me to fix it).
- Wrench cane adds +6 healing to cane swing (used to be 3) and +1 solar cost (instead of 2). Price increased from 145 to 160.

20. February 2014
- Cane base stun 0.5s --> 0.3s
- Shocking cane additional stun 0.8s --> 0.3s (0.6s total) --- It sounded too terrible to spam 1.5 sec. stuns every 3 seconds

21. February 2014
- 15 dashes were deleted. I will never forget them...
- More detailed utility row
- Some descriptions reworked to make more sense

1. November 2014
- LOL surprise update :bluecheer: :redcheer:
- But now seriously:
- Removed the userscript link, since some of its most important features got implemented
- Corrected Know Issues --> Known Issues
- I have also rewritten some of the texts to feel better or more actual
- Damage and health numbers updated to match the 2.7's numbering
Thank you for your time and patience.

In case you'll find anything weird, something you think should be rewritten or just something you find imbalanced, feel free to tell me in the discussion. With a tiny bit of luck, I may be able to "resurrect" Ernest in a more epic and awesome way than before. So far, that's all. Thank you all for support and useful comments. Your Neprofík.

Ernest - The Clockwork Gentleman

Nepro Inc.
Killing every single discussion since 2013

Last edited by Neprofík on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ernest 2.0 - revival update
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:47 am 

Glad to see him back, he was personally one of my favorite Fannauts - so keep up with reviving him! :thumb:

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:18 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Ernest seems unique enough, but trying to balance him using a system that is out-of-date enough that it was used during one of Euclid's lectures is exeedingly difficult.

Would it be worth me updating this to use the newer methods in terms of updating and changing numbers to fit? In terms of "fit" I do mean using 2.12's values, not this percentage nonsense (as I am not entirely convinced that 2.13 will not be massively altered at this rate).

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:08 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Ernest seems unique enough, but trying to balance him using a system that is out-of-date enough that it was used during one of Euclid's lectures is exeedingly difficult.

Would it be worth me updating this to use the newer methods in terms of updating and changing numbers to fit? In terms of "fit" I do mean using 2.12's values, not this percentage nonsense (as I am not entirely convinced that 2.13 will not be massively altered at this rate).

Hello, I'd like to thank both of you for responding.

I am fully aware of the outdated systems and would be really grateful if you were kind enough to help me in this area. I'm getting back to the game (after slowly quitting videogaming altogether about a year and half ago, I was working on board game design, school and leading a group of Scouts) and it has changed so much.

Sadly, I kinda get the impression that the 'Nauts don't feel as unique as before, but that could be because I already know them. It's still quite fun, though. I should revive our old gaming group as well.

So, it'd be great if you wanted to make some changes and I'm looking forward to cooperating with you. I'd like the idea and mechanics to stand, though, if that's not too much of a problem.

Also, sorry for going OT in my own thread, but isn't this place a bit more dead and negative? Is the new patch really that bad?

Nepro Inc.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:44 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Neprofík wrote:
Hello, I'd like to thank both of you for responding.

I am fully aware of the outdated systems and would be really grateful if you were kind enough to help me in this area. I'm getting back to the game (after slowly quitting videogaming altogether about a year and half ago, I was working on board game design, school and leading a group of Scouts) and it has changed so much.

Interesting varied hobbies, I see. I would be more than happy to update Ernest for the modern system (I may tweak him as necessary).

Sadly, I kinda get the impression that the 'Nauts don't feel as unique as before, but that could be because I already know them. It's still quite fun, though. I should revive our old gaming group as well.

Awesomenauts has certainly lost some of its charm by trying to replicate other MOBAs, to little reward.

So, it'd be great if you wanted to make some changes and I'm looking forward to cooperating with you. I'd like the idea and mechanics to stand, though, if that's not too much of a problem.

The mechanics, especially the turret heal, are really quite nice - I shall attempt to change them as little as possible in my first draft.

Also, sorry for going OT in my own thread, but isn't this place a bit more dead and negative? Is the new patch really that bad?

Some people (actually an alarmingly large collection), myself included, feel that the newest patch has caused a significant amount of damage to the game as it stands: We will need to wait for Steam's charts to be updated before we can assess whether or not the game has taken a turn for the worst - it probably has.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:34 pm 

Here cometh my first draft in regards to pulling Ernest out of the ancient past he inhabits.

His core mechanics have been kept the same, though certain aspects about him (especially his healing allied buildings aspect) have been tweaked to require more input from the player than "zero whatsoever".

I have not meticulously scoured though him yet, and thus there may be imbalance: Inform me and I shall rectify it.

Ernest, the Clockwork Gentleman
"Complete with a dapper cane and endless supply of automated turtles, defending has never looked so good."

Ernest's Character:
Moral alignment: Lawful neutral
Overarching themes: Steampunk, intelligence, mechanisms

Backstory:
I have yet to incorporate your own: It shall be done shortly.

Ernest's Statistics:
Health: 1550
Health regeneration: 700 hitpoints per minute
Movement speed: 7 (7.4)
Height: Ayla-ish
Jump height: 6.5 | 8.5 (6.5 | 10.5)
Number of jumps: Two
Combat range: Close range
Roles: Turtler, pusher, defender

Ernest's first jump covers a fairly short distance, but his second propels him a fair bit more.

Ernest's Auto Attack: Bramblegear Toss
Damage: 80 (80% to buildings)
Attack speed: 90
Damage per second: 120 (96 to buildings)
Range: 7
Bounce range: 5.5
Refurbish maximum charges: 25
Refurbish charges on hit: 1

Ernest continually throws small, pointy gears some distance (Range) towards the mouse, dealing damage to the first enemy struck (Damage per second).

Should a gear hit an enemy it will bounce directly up into the air (Bounce range), making it capable of hitting enemies a second time. Gears will also bounce upwards should they hit the floor. Gears can only bounce once.

Each time an enemy is damaged (either on a direct hit, through a bounce, or both) by a gear Ernest gains a Refurbish charge - these charges are used by his other abilities.

Bramblegear Toss Upgrades:

Lubricating Substance: increases both ranges by 65%
Stages: One stage
Price: 140 Solar
"Bought before the inflation struck, now highly sought-after."

Aggressive Fireball Generation Devices: every third gear thrown will deal damage in an area (4.5 radius)
Price: 180 Solar
"Now comes in packs of threes, for the discerning pyromaniac."

Repeating Needle Attachment: each Refurbish charge will increase Bramblegear Toss' damage by 1 per stage
Stages: Two stages
Price: 155 Solar
"Now 1,430% more capable of stinging enemies."

Rocket-Powered Adhesive Rod: gears that hit enemies during their bounce will slow by 7% per stage (for 1.2 seconds)
Stages: Three stages
Price: 145 Solar
"Very useful for explosively rendering two halves as a whole, apparently."

Rapid Repurposing Machine: enemy Awesomenauts killed by Ernest will turn into one Steam Turtle per stage
Price: 165 Solar
"Ensure to correctly target aggressives, and not allies."

Flaming Grinding Rod of Flames and Fire: increases damage against droids and turrets by 25% per stage (additive)
Price: 170 Solar
"Sharp gears fill a very specific (and hilarious) requirement."

Ernest's Ability One: Transmorphing Cane
Damage: 225 (100% to buildings)
Range: 3.2
Stun: 0.015 seconds per Refurbish charge
Knockback: 0.9
Turret heal: 1% of maximum hitpoints
Solar Drill heal: 0.6% of maximum hitpoints
Droid heal: 12% of maximum hitpoints
Cooldown: 0.5 seconds | 3.5 seconds

Ernest swings his cane, either horizontally should he be on flat ground, or in an overhead fashion should he be airborne - it damages (Damage) every enemy in its range, knocking them back (Knockback) either horizontally or downwards respectively. Should Ernest strike one of his Steam Turtles, it will be knocked back as normal, but suffer no damage.

Ernest is capable of repairing allied droids, turrets, and the Solar Drill with this ability: Should he attempt to hit one of the aforementioned, he will instead spend one Refurbish charge and heal it based on its maximum hitpoints (Turret heal, Droid heal, and Solar Drill heal) - this cannot be done while at zero Refurbish charges.

This ability has a 0.5 second cooldown, but gains 3.5 seconds of cooldown should he strike an enemy (to total at 4 seconds).

Transmorphing Cane Upgrades:

Ambulatory Ally Attachment: increases droid heal by 75%
"Now works with all versions of the chassis."

Witchcraft Sticker: successfully striking an enemy will render Ernest and all nearby (7 range) allies invisible for 1 second per stage
"Some newer models are capable of bending even the Sun's power itself!"

Stalwart Ally Attachment: increases turret heal by 10% per stage
Price: 210 Solar
"Now comes preinstalled with the Amended Laws of Robotics."

Overcharged Cane: striking an enemy while at maximum Refurbish charges will inflict 300% damage and knockback, but subtract 12 charges.
Price: 200 Solar
"Robotic witticisms go here after a successful day at 'work'."

Time-Passing Chewing Substance: adds a 150 damage per stage DoT (over 3.5 seconds)
"Comes in peppermint, strawberry, motor runoff, and blackcurrant flavour."

Rod of Medicine and Medieval Methods: striking an allied object (turret, droid, Solar Drill, or Steam Turtle) will grant it a 25% shield (for 0.9 seconds)
Price: 220 Solar
"For all one's violent procedures."

Ernest's Ability Two: Steam Turtle
Duration: 35 seconds
Hitpoints: 750
Damage: 9 (175% to buildings)
Attack speed: 600
Damage per second: 90 (157.5 to buildings)
Range: 9
Construction time: 2.5 seconds
Self-Amplify: 65% (for 3.5 seconds)
Cooldown: 5.5 seconds

Ernest begins building a small mechanical turtle over a period (Construction time): Once this finishes it spawns by his feet. Turtles are initially inflicted with an amplify effect (Self-Amplify) upon being spawned, but lose it eventually.

These turtles function as a sawblade droid does, moving forwards to attack (Damage per second) enemies and push buildings with an eye-mounted laser.

The ability goes into cooldown once the turtle is created.

Steam Turtle Upgrades:

Thoughts For the Master: turtle will grant 4 Refurbish charges upon dying (not upon timing out)
"They do have quite the attachment."

Crescendo Drive: turtles' attack speed will scale up to 200% over their duration
"Here it comes here it comes here it comes here it comes."

Restorative Field and Matching Paintjob: turtles will grant nearby allies (aside from themselves) 700 hitpoints per minute per stage regeneration
"They have strength in numbers: What do you have?"

Infinite Coal Generators: increases duration by 8 seconds per stage
"Only time will tell if this is actually infinite. Wait a minute..."

Mandatory Leakage Mechanism: turtles will leave a trail of gravity-affected oil that alters movement speed by 15% per stage (increase for allies and decrease for enemies)
Price: 160 Solar
"Now with 100% more oil and 43% less Oxalic acid."

Inverse Repulsion Mechanism: turtles will collect nearby (8 range) Solar, and increase its value by 1
Price: 120 Solar
"Rolling in the... data. Data and the money. Data about money? Data are worth money... I should sell data!"

Summation of Ernest:
Single-target damage: Low to low-average
AoE damage: Low
Sustain: High to very high
Mobility: Average
Offensive presence: Low to low-average
Defensive presence: Very high to extreme
Survivability: High to very high
Supportive ability: High to very high

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Last edited by The Lord Protector on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:41 pm 

Let me begin by thanking you. I truly admire your dedication and brilliant use of language. Reading your suggestions made me really happy and motivated to continue with updating this 'Naut.

I'd like to give you some feedback, but my time tends to be very limited, so I'm going to have to choose a bit more "episodic" approach, by which I mean "occasionally updating this post" - for example, aside from the other things, I'll skip the upgrades for now, if you don't mind, as they require a great ammount of attention.

Here cometh my first draft in regards to pulling Ernest out of the ancient past he inhabits.

His core mechanics have been kept the same, though certain aspects about him (especially his healing allied buildings aspect) have been tweaked to require more input from the player than "zero whatsoever".

I completely agree with this reasoning, because I've been trying to increase the player input myself. The original (1.0) was even more of an auto-pilot mode than he's now.

I have not meticulously scoured though him yet, and thus there may be imbalance: Inform me and I shall rectify it.

I'll let you know about anything I'll find.

Ernest, the Clockwork Gentleman
"Complete with a dapper cane and endless supply of automated turtles, defending has never looked so good."

Ernest's Character:
Moral alignment: Lawful neutral
Overarching themes: Steampunk, intelligence, mechanisms

Backstory:
I have yet to incorporate your own: It shall be done shortly. No need to hurry here.

Ernest's Statistics:
Health: 1500
Health regeneration: 700 hitpoints per minute
Movement speed: 7 (7.4)
Height: Ayla-ish
Jump height: 6.5 | 8.5 (6.5 | 10.5)
Number of jumps: Two
Combat range: Close range
Roles: Turtler, pusher, defender

Ernest's first jump covers a fairly short distance, but his second propels him a fair bit more.

I see you've reworked his original jump. I don't really mind that, probably as I haven't been entirely convinced it would work myself. Still, I would love to get some insight into the thoughts behind this. As it stands, I agree - let's not overcomplicate him. An inverse double jump is quite interesting as well.

Ernest's Auto Attack: Bramblegear Toss
Damage: 80 (80% to buildings)
Attack speed: 90
Damage per second: 120 (96 to buildings)
Range: 7 | 5.5
Refurbish maximum charges: 25
Refurbish charges on hit: 1

Ernest continually throws small, pointy gears some distance (Range) towards the mouse.

Should a gear hit an enemy it will bounce directly up into the air, making it capable of hitting enemies a second time. Gears will also bounce upwards should they hit the floor. Gears can only bounce once.

Honestly, this one is just brilliant. I was thinking about a system like this myself, but cancelled the thought process almost instantly, because I didn't want to overload his kit. Seeing it written down, however, has convinced me it could actually work.

Each time an enemy is damaged by a gear Ernest gains a Refurbish charge - these charges are used by his other abilities.

Bramblegear Toss Upgrades:

Lubricating Substance: increases both ranges by 65%
"Bought before the inflation struck, now highly sought-after."

Aggressive Fireball Generation Devices: every third gear thrown will deal damage in an area (4.5 radius)
"Now comes in packs of threes, for the discerning pyromaniac."

Repeating Needle Attachment: each Refurbish charge will increase Bramblegear Toss' damage by 1 per stage
"Now 1,430% more capable of stinging enemies."

Rocket-Powered Adhesive Rod: gears that hit enemies during their bounce will slow by 7% per stage (over 1.4 seconds)
Price: 145 Solar
"Very useful for explosively rendering two halves as a whole, apparently."

Rapid Repurposing Machine: enemy Awesomenauts killed by Bramblegear Toss will turn into one Steam Turtle per stage
"Ensure to correctly target aggressives, and not allies."

Flaming Grinding Rod of Flames and Fire: increases damage against droids and turrets by 25% per stage (additive)
"Sharp gears fill a very specific (and hilarious) requirement."

Ernest's Ability One: Transmorphing Cane
Damage: 225 (100% to buildings)
Range: 3.2
Stun: 0.015 seconds per Refurbish charge
Knockback: 0.9
Turret heal: 1% of maximum hitpoints
Solar Drill heal: 0.6% of maximum hitpoints
Droid heal: 12% of maximum hitpoints
Cooldown: 0.5 seconds | 3.5 seconds

Ernest swings his cane, either horizontally should he be on flat ground, or in an overhead fashion should he be airborne - it damages (Damage) every enemy in its range, knocking them back (Knockback) either horizontally or downwards respectively. Should Ernest strike one of his Steam Turtles, it will be knocked back as normal, but suffer no damage.

Ernest is capable of repairing allied droids, turrets, and the Solar Drill with this ability: Should he attempt to hit one of the aforementioned, he will instead spend one Refurbish charge and heal it based on its maximum hitpoints (Turret heal, Droid heal, and Solar Drill heal) - this cannot be done while at zero Refurbish charges.

This ability has a 0.5 second cooldown, but gains 3.5 seconds of cooldown should he strike an enemy (to total at 4 seconds).

Ok, if I undertand it correctly, the system is effectively very similar to the old one, except it now has a more "engineer" feel to it, since you have to hit the turret (or droid now) more times in a row with short delays in order to get the same effect. I like that more than just running back when off CD, hitting once and then going back in fight again and agree that it opens up some interesting scenarios and generally makes player feel more involved.

Transmorphing Cane Upgrades:

Ambulatory Ally Attachment: increases droid heal by 75%
"Now works with all versions of the chassis."

Witchcraft Sticker: successfully striking an enemy will render Ernest and all nearby (7 range) allies invisible for 1 second per stage
"Some newer models are capable of bending even the Sun's power itself!"

Stalwart Ally Attachment: increases turret heal by 12.5% per stage
Price: 240 Solar
"Now comes preinstalled with the Amended Laws of Robotics."

Overcharged Cane: striking an enemy while at maximum Refurbish charges will inflict 300% damage and knockback, but subtract 12 charges.
"Robotic witticisms go here after a successful day at 'work'."

Time-Passing Chewing Substance: adds a 150 damage per stage DoT (over 3.5 seconds)
"Comes in peppermint, strawberry, motor runoff, and blackcurrant flavour."

Rod of Medicine and Medieval Methods: striking an allied object (turret, droid, Solar Drill, or Steam Turtle) will grant it a 25% shield (for 0.9 seconds)
Price: 220 Solar
"For all one's violent procedures."

Ernest's Ability Two: Steam Turtle
Duration: 35 seconds
Hitpoints: 750
Damage: 9 (175% to buildings)
Attack speed: 600
Damage per second: 90 (157.5 to buildings)
Range: 9
Construction time: 2.5 seconds
Cooldown: 5.5 seconds

Ernest begins building a small mechanical turtle over a period (Construction time): Once this finishes it spawns by his feet.

These turtles function as a sawblade droid does, moving forwards to attack (Damage per second) enemies and push buildings with an eye-mounted laser.

The ability goes into cooldown once the turtle is created.

This is probably where our viewpoints differ. If I understand it correctly, you have removed the damage -> cancel building mechanic. I have implemented this one in order to make the skill more risky and it's also the main reason I've created the turtle-cane interaction.

Basically, I wanted the player to have a harder time the sooner he wants the turtle to push the turret. He can spawn it far away with no problems and then try to support her and get her as far as possible before she dies, or he can try to spawn her closer, but he has to watch out for sources of damage. I don't really see a reason for removing this mechanism, but I think you could easily convince me othervise, should you explain your reasoning.

Steam Turtle Upgrades:

Thoughts For the Master: turtle will grant 4 Refurbish charges upon dying (not upon timing out)
"They do have quite the attachment."

Crescendo Drive: turtles' attack speed will scale up to 200% over their duration
"Here it comes here it comes here it comes here it comes."

Restorative Field and Matching Paintjob: turtles will grant nearby allies (aside from themselves) 700 hitpoints per minute per stage regeneration
"They have strength in numbers: What do you have?"

Infinite Coal Generators: increases duration by 8 seconds per stage
"Only time will tell if this is actually infinite. Wait a minute..."

Mandatory Leakage Mechanism: turtles will leave a trail of gravity-affected oil that alters movement speed by 15% per stage (increase for allies and decrease for enemies)
Price: 160 Solar
"Now with 100% more oil and 43% less Oxalic acid."

Inverse Repulsion Mechanism: turtles will collect nearby (8 range) Solar, and increase its value by 1
Price: 120 Solar
"Rolling in the... data. Data and the money. Data about money? Data are worth money... I should sell data!"

Summation of Ernest:
Single-target damage: Low to low-average
AoE damage: Low
Sustain: High to very high
Mobility: Average
Offensive presence: Low to low-average
Defensive presence: Very high to extreme
Survivability: High to very high
Supportive ability: High to very high

All in all, I am really very, very grateful and happy. You have managed to actually take this broken concept and give it a shape and you did a great job with it. I can't wait to have more conversations with you and hope you are interested in occassionally cooperating with me. By the way, the fact I still haven't commented on most of your post doesn't mean I didn't read it. I'm just currently in a great hurry. :ayla:

Thank you once more.

Nepro Inc.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:28 pm 

Neprofík wrote:
Let me begin by thanking you. I truly admire your dedication and brilliant use of language. Reading your suggestions made me really happy and motivated to continue with updating this 'Naut.

That is more than is usually said of my discursive abilities, so thank you.

I'd like to give you some feedback, but my time tends to be very limited, so I'm going to have to choose a bit more "episodic" approach, by which I mean "occasionally updating this post" - for example, aside from the other things, I'll skip the upgrades for now, if you don't mind, as they require a great ammount of attention.

Not a problem in the slightest.

I completely agree with this reasoning, because I've been trying to increase the player input myself. The original (1.0) was even more of an auto-pilot mode than he's now.

I'll let you know about anything I'll find.

I see you've reworked his original jump. I don't really mind that, probably as I haven't been entirely convinced it would work myself. Still, I would love to get some insight into the thoughts behind this. As it stands, I agree - let's not overcomplicate him. An inverse double jump is quite interesting as well.

I must admit, I did not actually read though Ernest's original jump in enough detail to notice it had a charging mechanic: If you prefer the older version I shall see how I can incorporate that.

Honestly, this one is just brilliant. I was thinking about a system like this myself, but cancelled the thought process almost instantly, because I didn't want to overload his kit. Seeing it written down, however, has convinced me it could actually work.

I reasoned that rewarding those with good aim in the form of more quickly building Refurbish charges would be a good incentive.

Ok, if I undertand it correctly, the system is effectively very similar to the old one, except it now has a more "engineer" feel to it, since you have to hit the turret (or droid now) more times in a row with short delays in order to get the same effect. I like that more than just running back when off CD, hitting once and then going back in fight again and agree that it opens up some interesting scenarios and generally makes player feel more involved.

I felt that implementing this system as a charge-based one would open up a greater range of options in regards to balancing: Ernest is now capable of repairing things on the go so long as he earns Refurbish charges (and could thus support a push more easily), while still having a fantastic structure repair quality about him.

This is probably where our viewpoints differ. If I understand it correctly, you have removed the damage -> cancel building mechanic. I have implemented this one in order to make the skill more risky and it's also the main reason I've created the turtle-cane interaction.

Basically, I wanted the player to have a harder time the sooner he wants the turtle to push the turret. He can spawn it far away with no problems and then try to support her and get her as far as possible before she dies, or he can try to spawn her closer, but he has to watch out for sources of damage. I don't really see a reason for removing this mechanism, but I think you could easily convince me othervise, should you explain your reasoning.

My main reason for removing the mechanic was that avoiding damage for three seconds would generally require Ernest to entirely back away from a fight (and three seconds is a very long time), which could cause him to become quite passive, where instead he would contribute a lot from being in the thick of the skirmish, building charges and caning people to death.

Now that I look at my design, the amount of immediate push that the turtles can generate might be a slight too high: I may alter them to be weaker for the first few seconds of their existence, so that spawning them directly on top of turrets is less effective.

All in all, I am really very, very grateful and happy. You have managed to actually take this broken concept and give it a shape and you did a great job with it. I can't wait to have more conversations with you and hope you are interested in occassionally cooperating with me. By the way, the fact I still haven't commented on most of your post doesn't mean I didn't read it. I'm just currently in a great hurry. :ayla:

Ernest was never really broken, per se, but merely unfinished: I have not really altered anything drastically, but rather simply plugged holes where they were present (and balancing 'Nauts as complex as this is more-or-less a nightmare, so I do not blame you) - this was mostly in the form of missing damage values, which are largely arbitrary, but I like to give people some view on how the 'Naut would perform (as opposed to the IX design where it it nought more than a few lines' description).

Thank you once more.

I shall refine my design, and update the original post (but I will post changes in a separate comment later).

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:47 pm 

Look Ernest, an update for you:

• Increased Ernest's hitpoints by 50
    • Made Bramblegear's bounce mechanic more clear
    • Clarified Bramblegear's damage per second aspect
    • Added a self-amplify effect for the first few seconds of the turtles' lives
    • Reduced Rocket-Powered Adhesive Rod's slow duration from 1.4 seconds to 1.2 seconds
    • Added a third stage to Rapid Reporposing Machine, and removed its kill requirement (any source of lethal damage from Ernest will trigger it)
    Rapid Repurposing Machine's price reduced from 180 Solar to 165 Solar
    Flaming Grinding Rod of Flames and Fire's price reduced from 180 Solar to 170 Solar
    Stalwart Ally Attachment's turret heal increase reduced from 12.5% per stage to 10% per stage.
    Stalwart Ally Attachment's price reduced from 240 to 210.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:27 pm 

Look Ernest, an update for you:

• Increased Ernest's hitpoints by 50
    • Made Bramblegear's bounce mechanic more clear
    • Clarified Bramblegear's damage per second aspect
    • Added a self-amplify effect for the first few seconds of the turtles' lives
    • Reduced Rocket-Powered Adhesive Rod's slow duration from 1.4 seconds to 1.2 seconds
    • Added a third stage to Rapid Reporposing Machine, and removed its kill requirement (any source of lethal damage from Ernest will trigger it)
    Rapid Repurposing Machine's price reduced from 180 Solar to 165 Solar
    Flaming Grinding Rod of Flames and Fire's price reduced from 180 Solar to 170 Solar
    Stalwart Ally Attachment's turret heal increase reduced from 12.5% per stage to 10% per stage.
    Stalwart Ally Attachment's price reduced from 240 to 210.

Nice changes. Also, please don't get me wrong - I'm not abandoning him again, despite my recent inactivity and am going to give you the rest of my feedback as soon as I can. Your interest has definitely motivated me to continue with this.

I also intend to rewrite the main post a bit to be more clear and refined using your proposal. Let's hope I'll be able to do so before his birthday, to have a properly reborn 'Naut at the time it comes.

By the way, the self-amplify on turtles is an elegant solution and basically serves the same purpose the older system did.

Nepro Inc.