Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Valentina the Valkyrie
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:35 pm 

I wasn't really happy with what I submitted to the contest. I had a character limit and wasn't allowed to be as expressive as I wanted, so here's a more fleshed out version that's been sitting in my head for quite a while.

Backstory
Valentina comes from an ancient warrior clan in a far-off galaxy. They're famous for their brilliant combat skills and team combat. In recent centuries, these valkyries have been outfitting themselves with sleek, shiny new armor that allows them to harness the power of light—in the form of shiny new wings and fancy exploding beams—to help fight battles.
Valentina is an eager valkyrie with a self-proclaimed strong sense of justice. She'll do anything in her power to fight the forces of evil, whether it's a world-destroying monster or a man cheating on his taxes. She's proud of what she does and loves doing it for the sake of making the world a better place. She won't take kindly to those who get in her way.
In her obsessive quest to rid the world of evil, she cleaned out her own galaxy and decided to move onto the next. After seeing some Awesomenauts fliers promising some action-packed fights that may or may not involve skewering bank-robbing fish and killer robots, she joined the team in hopes of finding new enemies to destroy.
Despite her tough personality and no-nonsense attitude, she has a soft spot for skroggles and other "cute" things. She loves winning because each victory is a triumph over evil.

Appearance
trinary's depiction is my favorite:
I'd rather have her with a more athletic physique (being nowhere near as thin) and with a larger shield, but it pretty much fits what first came to my mind when I thought of this character. Kudos to him for his neat-looking future-valkyrie art.
Normally her holographic wings will not be visible: they would phase in and out as she uses them.

General abilities
Valentina, befitting her role as a support fighter/tank, would be tall with a rather large hitbox.
Her acceleration would be decent, but her movement speed would be low. Definitely not as low as Clunk's, but maybe not as fast as Derpl can get.
She will only have average jump, but she has an additional mechanic: she can materialize small wings and flap them up to two times. These flaps do not gain her any height, and instead allow her to just keep her height or aid her in juking. Purchasing her boots would give her an additional flap.
Her HP is slightly below Derpl's.

Unique mechanic: flight
This is something I've been wanting in the game for a long time: a free flight mechanic, but on a timer.
Below her lifebar is a special meter indicating her flight time. Valentina can use the jetpack button (renamed to the "toggle flight" button) to initiate flight, where she materializes large fancy wings.
When in flight, she's faster than her slow ground speed, like 10% faster or something. She can use any of her skills in mid-air, and maybe she can even have utilitarian upgrades that grant her various bonuses while flying. She can get nice angles and harass well when in the air.
While flying, the flight meter is constantly draining. It drains rather quickly and it can be restored by landing spear attacks while in flight.
The flight meter starts slowly recovering after a few seconds when not in flight, and flight cannot be initiated when the meter is below a certain threshold (say 25%). The default flight duration, when at full meter, is 2s. It'd be enough for a decent escape like going to the jungle of Sorona or climbing the middle of Aiguillon. Considering Valentina's low movement speed, it shouldn't be too cheesy of an escape tool. Her boosts might increase duration by .5s.

Unique mechanic: shield
Valentina's giant shield is for more than just show: it passively reduces damage taken from the front by a percentage. While Valentina's HP is not spectacular for a tanky fighter, her shield mechanic allows her to reduce incoming damage.

Attack: Spear thrust
Thrusting her spear is Valentina's primary form of attack. It's a piercing melee attack with decent range, maybe comparable to Genji's. It comes out slower and only hits once, but it can pierce through walls. It would mostly be a form of zoning while having good damage if necessary.
While it won't be the most deadly auto attack in the game, it would be a good way to help her keep enemies off of her.

Skill 1: Spear cannon
Valentina's first skill. The end of her spear expands to fire a spear-headed beam of light that travels in an arc. It stops when it hits any solid surface and will explode after a short period, and the explosion would deal most of the skill's damage, meaning that it requires timing and aiming to be used most lethally.
It can serve as an additional zoning tool: enemies would have the leave the crash zone of the spear beam in order to avoid being caught in the incoming blast. It also forces enemies into the fray and into the range of Valentina's deadly spears. The explosion could possibly be upgraded to have various effects like knockback or a slowing effect.

Skill 2: Shield bash
Valentina charges forward with her shield over a very short distance. The move comes out very fast and has knockback and stun, but it can only be aimed horizontally. The animation is like, .2s long.
It has a base projectile reflection effect which promotes some skillful usage of it to protect herself and allies. The skill's short duration, in addition to the fact that you can't hug people and drain their HP with it, makes the reflection nowhere near as troublesome as Froggy's.
The shield bash doesn't deal much damage and is mostly designed to get people off her and her team. Some status effects like increased knockback and maybe even a slow effect can make it powerful depending on the enemy team.

In summary, I really wanted to see a character whose has a decent mid-range combat (with a long, narrow hitbox) with an option to force opponents away if necessary. I'm tired of sustain tanks and want a new type of tank.

Post subject: Re: Valentina the Valkyrie
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:56 pm 

Oh, so you're the one who created that female dog in which I destroyed her own galaxy,

I just wanted to say...

ZORK YOU!!!

Also I'm glad I destroyed her galaxy

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:57 pm 

Yarheeguy wrote:
Oh, so you're the one who created that female dog in which I destroyed her own galaxy,

I just wanted to say...

ZORK YOU!!!

If you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all ಠ_ಠ.
Re-word yourself kind sir to get some dignity back.

Reifiui wrote:
Catti is the forumer that we need, but don't deserve

I'm open to art Commissions!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:32 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
catgame21234 wrote:

On topic: Valentina seems to revolve around skillful play in order to succeed (which is something I applaud), and the flying mechanic and upgrade synergies therein are a fresh take on the otherwise stale infinite flights of those disgusting monkeys and revolting pufferfish.

Would it be worth us attaching some numbers and upgrades to this design, in order to see what we can concoct?

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:13 am 
Adminaut

I might prototype some of this in the game engine for the hell of it, really wanted this design to get in.

Yarheeguy wrote:

I just wanted to say...

ZORK YOU!!!

Keep this pointless nonsense out of here, thanks.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:44 am 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Would it be worth us attaching some numbers and upgrades to this design, in order to see what we can concoct?

I was afraid of giving out specific numbers because I'm not really knowledgeable about how damage should scale in this game. In general I wanted something like this:

• Spear AA would be similar to Genji's in terms of damage, with a longer animation and only hitting once
  • The flying light beam deals rather low damage (maybe about a bit weaker than base Snipe) with the explosion being much stronger, maybe 50% stronger than the flying beam is (or more)
  • Shield bash does probably as much damage as Pounce does, but maybe a little bit more considering that it's much closer-range and can't be aimed as freely.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:20 am 

I still like your fannaut. :thumb:

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:00 pm 

Definitely the best entry out of the 5 finalists. :CocoWink:

Winner of the Design-Your-Naut 2 contest (Ix the Interloper), and emote creator :yoolip:

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:41 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
conorbebe wrote:

kathy wrote:
I was afraid of giving out specific numbers because I'm not really knowledgeable about how damage should scale in this game. In general I wanted something like this:

• Spear AA would be similar to Genji's in terms of damage, with a longer animation and only hitting once
  • The flying light beam deals rather low damage (maybe about a bit weaker than base Snipe) with the explosion being much stronger, maybe 50% stronger than the flying beam is (or more)
  • Shield bash does probably as much damage as Pounce does, but maybe a little bit more considering that it's much closer-range and can't be aimed as freely.

I consider these justification enough to see what I can do with Valentina.

I have yet to meticulously scour though this design, so please feel free to inform me of anything you like, dislike, find abhorrent, and want so badly I have to writer an entire section solely on it.

Presenting:

Valentina, the Luminous Valkyrie
"Armed with shield and spear, there is no evil around that can oppose her."

Valentina's Character:
Moral alignment: Neutral Good
Overarching themes: Triumph, light, strength, pride

Backstory:
'Tis still in the works: CURSES!

Valentina's Statistics:
Health: 1200
Health regeneration: 700 hitpoints per minute
Movement speed: 7.1 (8.1)
Height: Raelynn-ish
Jump height: 7.4
Number of jumps: 1, but see below
Combat range: medium to medium-long range
Roles: Tank, support, assassin

Valentina possesses a charge meter below her health bar: This represents for how long she is able to fly in any direction. Should Valentina hold jump after her initial jump, she will instead fly for as long as the jump button is held.

The meter initially holds enough charge to enable her flight for 2.8 seconds, and drains as she is flying. It recharges while she is on the ground, at a ratio of 2:1 grounded time to flying time.

While flying, Valentina moves 18% faster, and has additional effects for her abilities.

Valentina's Auto Attack: The Bright Spear
Damage: 80 (65% to buildings)
Attack speed: 120
Damage per second: 160
Range: 6.5
Airborne flight increase: 0.35 seconds

Valentina thrusts her spear towards (Range) the mouse, damaging (Damage per second) every enemy in its path: It can pierce buildings and the map to do so, and thus is not blocked by anything.

Should Valentina land a hit while flying, she will gain some additional flight time (Airborne flight increase); this does not stack per enemy struck.

The Bright Spear Upgrades:

Great Brass Helm: every third successful strike against the same enemy will deal 40% more damage per stage
Stages: Two stages
Price: 170 Solar
"Worn by the one of the Stabbington brothers, said to be rather grim."

Gilded Feathers: striking an enemy will grant a 15% speed boost (for 0.9 seconds)
Stages: One stage
Price: 155 Solar
"The bird these were plucked from did put up quite the chase."

Blazing Halberd: adds a DoT equal to the damage dealt (over 2.5 seconds)
Price: 195 Solar
"This was once used to turn the embers of a fantastically short demon."

Randomly Enchanted Dagger: while at less than 65% of maximum hitpoints, adds a 16% lifesteal per stage
Price: 175 Solar
"I suppose you could... glue it to, ehem, the end of your... spear...?"

Chain Flail of Flailing: increases range by 12% per stage
Price: 135 Solar
"Flail all the things!"

Scale Mail of Champions: after not auto attacking for 4.5 seconds, the next auto attack will damage everything in a 5.5 radius AoE, and inflict a 20% amplify (for 1.1 seconds)
Price: 255 Solar
"None can best this Valkyrie!"

Valentina Ability One: Aegis of the Sun
Duration: while button is held
Damage reduction: 40%
Charge damage: 320
Charge range: 5.5
Airborne range increase: 3.5
Charge knockback: 1.4
Charge stun: 0.45 seconds
Cooldown: 5.5 seconds

While the RMB is held down Valentina will raise her shield, reducing (Damage reduction) all damage she takes from the direction she is facing. This has no cooldown.

Should Valentina attempt to use her AA while she has her shield raised, she will instead charge some distance (Charge range) horizontally in the direction she is facing, damaging and knocking back all enemies she contacts with (Charge damage and Charge knockback respectively), while also stunning them (Charge stun).

If Valentina charges while flying, the range of her charge will be increased (Airborne range increase).

This ability goes into cooldown (Cooldown) if Valentina charges, and during this time she is unable to raise the shield at all.

Aegis of the Sun Upgrades:

Fake Golden Studs: upon charging, all projectiles in a 6 radius will be reflected
Price: 190 Solar
"They are actually made from diamonds: Really expensive diamonds."

Reverberation Horn: enemies struck will deal 90 damage per stage in an AoE (4.5 radius) around them
"More and more and more and MORE!"

Runic Shield Attachment: increases range while airborne by 120%
"Now you can look like a true warrior!"

Wing Bracers: after having the shield raised for more than 1.4 seconds the damage reduction will increase by 20% per stage
Stages: Three stages
Price: 165 Solar
"Do these not just look fabulous?"

Holy Rocket Launcher: the shield will launch projectiles in the direction it is facing: dealing 29 damage per stage, with 180 attack speed, 5.5 range, and 45 degrees of homing
Price: 180 Solar
"Now comes with 'automatic', 'burst fire', and 'illegal activity' settings."

Blessings of Cthulhu: while Aegis of the Sun is on cooldown, Valentina will gain 1,200 hitpoints per minute per stage regeneration
Price: 145 Solar
"Now includes free dictionary."

Valentina Ability Two: Fiery Slice
Piercing damage: 190
Explosion damage: 260
Range: 11
Explosion AoE radius: 4.5
Airborne DoT: 190 (over 2.5 seconds)
Airborne HoT: 300 (over 8 seconds)
Cooldown: 9.5 seconds
Airborne cooldown: 12 seconds

Valentina fires a large glowing spear some distance (Range) towards the mouse: This spear arcs as it makes its way to the target location, and arrives fairly rapidly.

Enemies that touch the spear while it is in-flight will suffer damage (Piercing damage). Once the spear reaches its maximum distance it will explode, dealing additional damage (Explosion damage) in an AoE (Explode AoE radius). The spear will only detonate if it reaches this maximum distance; it will not explode should it touch the map.

Should the spear be thrown while Valentina is flying, its explosion will additionally inflict a DoT (Airborne DoT) on enemies, and a HoT (Airborne HoT) on allies that are in the radius.

The spear goes into cooldown (Cooldown) once it explodes, but if thrown while flying it has an increased cooldown (Airborne cooldown).

Fiery Slice Upgrades:

Book on Arson: increases airborne DoT by 50 per stage
Price: 155 Solar
"Prohibited in seventeen superclusters."

Lance of Justice and Ice Cream: increases both explosion damage and airborne HoT by 20%
"Two sides in perfect harmony. Warning, not actually perfect harmony."

Clock of Re-Re-Re-Reset: reduces cooldown by 10% per enemy struck with piercing damage
"We do not know how deep it goes, but we should try, as we do not know how deep it goes, but we could try..."

Aggression Sticker: enemies damaged by the spear will be marked for death, increasing the damage Valentina deals against them by 8.5% per stage
Price: 165 Solar
"Eyes on the prize, boys."

Gemini: upon detonating, a smaller spear will be launched back at Valentina, dealing 11.25% of the original's damage per stage (this does not repeat infinitely).
Price: 200 Solar
"Now comes with one more for the price of two."

Hellfire and Brimstone Booklet: successfully damaging an enemy Awesomenaut with Valentina's AA will increase the damage of the next thrown spear by 7%: this stacks additively up to 20% per stage
Price: 180 Solar
"Patience, my darling, patience..."

Summation of Valentina:
Single-target damage: average to average-high
AoE damage: average-high to high
Sustain: average to average-high
Mobility: average
Offensive presence: average
Defensive presence: average-high to high
Survivability: average-high
Supportive ability: average

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:46 pm 

Some notes as I look at your post:

1. On flight mechanics: I don't like unnecessarily mapping multiple buttons to the same action. Jumping and holding the button is used for gaining height and triggering flight by accident would be a nightmare. It was terrible with jumping down glass platforms on a controller, and it could be even worse if it screws over a particular character's mechanics. There's already a button that toggles flight, so why not just use that? Nobody would care if it were renamed to a generic "toggle flight" button.
2. Great Brass Helm: I'm not a fan of these "every second/third hit" upgrades and mechanics. Could anything replace it, though?
3. Gilded Feathers: I think I'd prefer it to be nauts-only. I don't think we want her traveling the field at that speed all the time.
4. Blazing Halberd: I like the idea quite a bit. It theoretically doubles the damage of each hit, but it's conditional and can be countered by regen.
5. Chain Flail of Flailing: Looks like an awfully big range increase. I might just be bad at visualizing it, though.
6. Randomly Enchanted Dagger: I'm glad to see a unique type of lifesteal upgrade. It helps her get HP but only when she really needs it.
7. Scale Mail of Champions: I like the idea of a Rage-sized flash of damage that requires delaying. It seems like a nice initiator tool.
8. On shield mechanics: I like how active you made it. I think she should be slowed a bit.
8. Fake Golden Spuds: I guess I like this, but I can't picture actually using this. It's part of why I wanted the reflection to be on base: the skill basically has Valentina step forward in a flash over a very short distance (think the distance of a turret) with a cool afterimage effect, lasting less than half a second. Projectile reflection sounds too niche and unspectacular to justify spending money on it.
9. Reverberation Horn: I like the idea of a radius effect on impact. I just don't know what on earth "4.5 radius" means in terms of actual radius.
10. Runic Shield Attachment: It's a niche upgrade, but I can imagine it being quite useful. With the bash's limited aiming and not particularly good base range, this shouldn't be too overpowered.
11. Wing Bracers: I really love this. It makes for a great and unique way for a character to tank a turret for allies and sustain a push without allowing the character itself to deal damage to the turret. It's a unique mechanic that really sells the shield. I don't know much about this game's numbers to know how much of a difference that 56% makes, especially in the new system, moreso if she gets Barrier Magazine. People might be afraid of its interaction with Voltar, but that's a problem with Voltar, not Valentina.
12. Holy Rocket Launcher: Decent enough, I suppose.
13. Blessings of Cthulhu: I wanted to stray away from a regen upgrade like this. It promotes rather wasteful use of the skill for free healing, just like Herring Snack Badge can.
14. On Fiery Slice: I didn't really imagine Valentina as being a healer. I was thinking of something sorta like Raelynn who can be a "support fighter" by fighting from the back lines and helping tank stuff, but also having tools to deal with people up close. I guess that if it's tied to flight it's fine for her to have some healing.
15. Clock of Re-Re-Re-Reset: A nice idea for cooldown upgrade. It won't always be useful in the ways that a flat cooldown upgrade would because it has a condition that depends on how the skill itself is used. It sounds much more useful in the air than on ground. Maybe it could have a different reduction when on the ground? Maybe it's just fine as it is.
16. Aggression Sticker: Another nice twist on a preexisting mechanic (amp) and I really like it. It's much more interesting than a plain amp or a plain damage increase. The only thing I don't know is how long it should last.
17. Gemini: A nice conditional damage/area denial mix. No problems here. It's a cool idea, but I'm wondering whether it should go to Valentina herself (like Skree's sawblades) or back to where she stood when firing. I can imagine fun droid clearing with this if it's the latter: having your spear blast back and forth on a lane.
18. Hellfire and Brimstone Booklet: Sounds neat. Would buying three stages mean that it stacks to 60%? It might be too powerful.

Overall, I like how you took my rather vague descriptions and totally fleshed them out with unique upgrades. The only thing I don't really like are the reflection upgrade (I wouldn't buy it) and flight not having its own button (it sounds really awkward as you presented it).
I don't know much about pricing or ranges so I didn't mention them much.

conorbebe wrote:

Thanks.

Last edited by kathy on Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.