Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: [fan naut] Overlord C-48, the siege engine (reworked)
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:45 pm 

Disclaimer: everything is subject to change. I haven't a clue how to balance a damage oriented summoner to be able to push without them just inevitably turning into either an inept solo character (Voltar) and/ or a nightmarish solo pushing monster (old Voltar), so I'm just going to do my best. With that out of the way, I present to you: Overlord, the siege engine.

"Direct control established. Unit C-48 is now under the jurisdiction of the AI designate Overlord."
"This'll be fun."

Roles: summoner, brawler, harasser

Utility: hydraulic limbs
Misc: when on the ground: Overlord's weight is increased by 50%, Overlord takes 50% reduced knock back (and Skolldir's throw), so basically he gets pushed less. Overlord is immune to pulls.
Base health: 1450

Summons: all summons gain passive regeneration equal to 50% of Overlord's passive regeneration.

Movement type: tactical/swift (could go either way, he's fast and has a special jump)
Movement speed: 10.5

Jump: Hydraulic Pounce: Throw yourself up into the air at a 60* angle (90* if stationary) toward the direction of movement, Dealing 50 damage to all nearby enemies upon landing. (Range: 1.3, damage CD: 5 seconds)

Upgrades:
1 Pills
2 Med-I-can
3 Solar-plated claws: Solar cost: 150 increases movement speed by 8%, gain a 10% armor while on ground.
4 Solar Burger
5 Solar Bank (because apparently this is standard instead of SC or WS)
6 Baby Kuri Mammoth

Auto Attack: Photon Fusillade
Max charges: 4
Max range: 7 (center of spread, follows a 30* arc to strike the terrain directly below the reticle)
Charge recharge time: 1 second
Damage (per charge): 50
Ability cooldown: 1 + 0.5 seconds per charge.
Shot AoE: 2
Shot spacing (on impact with ground): 1
Use: expends all available charges, lobbing projectiles in a 30* ballistic arc, striking the target area with an even spread of projectiles. Shots cannot strike overhead terrain but can strike enemies before reaching the target area.

Upgrades:
1: Extra launch tube: stages: 1. Ability now only consumes 50% of max charges (rounded up), allowing for a follow-up shot at the cost of greatly reduced burst. Also halves base cooldown. Price: 110

2: photoelectric intensity intensifier: stages: 2. Stage 1 makes AA shots leave flames on the floor. Stage 2 increases the size of the particles by 50%. Particles persist for 1.5 seconds. Price: 150.
Stage 1 DPS: 45
Stage 2 DPS: 90

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

Summon: destroyer drones
Max charges: 4, recharge independently.
Recharge time: 12 seconds
Deploy cooldown: 4 seconds, will deploy automatically in pairs.
Max destroyer drones: 2
Summon damage: 70
Summon range: 6.5
Summon shot AoE: 1.3
Summon attack speed: 60
Summon health: 300
Summon movement speed: 12.5

In gameplay destroyer drones and lock on function much like voltar's suicide drones.

Ability 1: Lock On
Visual indicator: yellow/orange (changes with team) lights on Overlord's body,
Range: 12
Cooldown: 2 seconds
Effect duration: 15/10 seconds.

Mark a target to be eliminated by destroyer drones. Can only mark one target at a time, with the oldest being overwritten. Marker expires upon target's death or after fifteen seconds. If it strikes terrain or reaches max range, destroyer drones will hold position there for ten seconds.

Upgrades:
1: dragon pathfinding module: stages: 2. Increases drone movement speed by 10%. Price: 80.

2: VIP landing pads: stages: 2. Increases active drone count by one per stage. Price: 200.

3: rest shop & repair stop: stages: 1. Overlord will heal a single nearby friendly summon or droid at a time, in a range of 4.5. HPS: 250 Price: 220

4:

5:

6:

Summon 2: Battleship drone
Charges: 1
Charge recharge time: 30 seconds
Deploy time: 10 seconds. (Starts from drone death)
Max drones: 1
Summon damage: 40
Summon range: 7.5
Summon shot AoE: 0.5
Summon attack speed: 90
Summon health: 550
Summon movement speed: 8.5

Ability 2: White Hole Cannon
Channel duration: 3 seconds
Cooldown: 15 seconds
Damage: 50
Attack speed: 180
Channel attack range: 5
CC effect: 20% timeslow, 1 second duration (1.2 seconds because timeslow).

Use: The battleship moves into position and fires a beam which strikes the ground at a 60* angle. The drone will automatically move to keep enemies in the beam. The drone can still use its regular attack while channeling.

Upgrades:
1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

Obviously still a work in progress, but I think that with a bit of balance tweaks, this guy might just be my best fan naut yet. Except for maybe Grace. Grace put the bar really high.

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns?

Backstory:

Overlord was one of the core AIs built by the zeroes to command their robots in battle. Before the primary AI core was destroyed, Overlord installed a copy of itself into a modified C-48 artillery walker, set to activate automatically if and when the AI core went dark. After the end of the first AI war, the backup would have activated properly, had its power cells not been drained. Overlord drifted through space aboard a derelict Zeroes battleship.

As if by some inexplicable coincidence, he was discovered and repaired by Voltar the omniscient, who intended to make him an Awesomenaut. After instigating a brief civil argument over which side was "the good guys," Overlord relented and willingly joined the Awesomenauts as per Voltar's request.

GUESS WHO'S BACK?! nope, I'm still dead.

Last edited by Alphanoob393 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject: Re: [fan naut] Overlord C-48, the siege engine
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:14 pm 

Right off the bat, I'm already starting to see problems. I can certainly see how harasser applies. Utility is too vague and basically meaningless to use, given how many definitions I've found relative to MOBA terminology. Support I find difficult to apply, since only one skill has an indirect effect combat wise and it's basically controlling who your drones target. For the record, a support naut assists the team mid-combat in more indirect ways like providing buffs and debuffing enemies.
I find the knockback/displacement (effect that skills like Tongue Snatch use) resistance to be unnecessary since your nauts wants to keep their distance; such an effect would be more appropriate for a CQC naut. The armor mechanic is redundant, given how secondary health bars already exist in the form of a health shield. Just have it regenerate after a set amount time of not being damaged and you're good. They could also use more health, given how it's literally lower than every other naut and they have high mobility or something else to compensate. I question the need for Stomp since again, your naut doesn't seem to be built with CQC in mind.

Photon Auto-Cannon is kind of misleading as an AA since that would a powerful, high-fire attack. Not what seems to be more of a flame thrower functionally speaking. Assuming that the DOT effect can be stacked up to 3 times on a single target, not only being able to apply the DOT effect three times. The Brittle effect is unnecessary, given how little +5% DPS is and how that effect already exists as Amplify Damage. Otherwise, it just has high DPS which isn't as much of a problem as one think when tanking into account the following abilities.

Destroyer Drones is frankly weak. While 120 DPS isn't insignificant, the fact that they can easily be killed off with just a decent AA makes them rather useless.

Lock On is more mechanically complex than necessary as far as I can tell, given how it just marks enemies for your drones to target. Just increase the cooldown by a second or two to compensate. Also, if a skill doesn't do damage, you don't need to list that statistic.

Fusillade is actually pretty good right now. It does a pretty good of balance for the most part, if a little lackluster on the damage funnily enough. I do like how it's a fixed angle attack that's not horizontal.

Aside from all of that, I'd recommend double checking for grammar. I see improper capitalisation everywhere. I also recommend additional and more varied formatting to help keep everything distinct.

Overall, I think your naut needs a more focused design; given all these unnecessary little mechanics which seem to follow differing design philosophies. I could pitch some ideas if you'd like.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:26 am 

I would appreciate some ideas. I'll see what I can do about the grammar and formatting along the way. As far as buffing him, streamlining lock on and bidding his drones would ideally be the way to go. I'll get to work on tampering with his numbers a bit.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:52 am 

Given how Overlord is a harasser, I was thinking that the drone could be their escape tool. My current idea is to have it generate a small AoE that slows and silences enemies. Aside from that, you could streamline the drone by merging it with the lock on skill. The first press would deploy the drone and every subsequent press would be the lock on, with the added ability to lock on to a specific location by pressing the ability button again while midair.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:32 am 

I filled out some of his upgrades and reworked his auto attack completely. It now deals huge amounts of damage up close, while still maintaining its questionably large advantage at long range. The only real escape tool Overlord has is the distance enemies have to close to reach him. The stomp effect is his main defense up close, and it only works on the ground.

That said, ~435 base DPS in CQC is nothing to scoff at. Assuming a player can land all the damage from fusillade on an enemy, that number becomes a terrifying 1,005 damage in a single second. That's half a clunk. I think I overdid it. I'll knock the damage for fusillade and auto cannon back down a peg, and maybe come up with something cool for his jump. Maybe a 5 second damage reduction?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:48 am 

You're still over designing this naut. Plus it's unbalanced that they get to start off with this passive effects that other nauts don't. And a straightforward 435 DPS without damaging abilities at base is a bit much for having summons. Cut out the stomp because it's a passive effect that doesn't really tie into how the naut works and it acts more like an autonomous AA than a means of escape, given how it just causes damage. I still suggest merging the drones and Lock On into one skill, both because nauts don't really have passive abilities and it allows the player to have control over when the drone deploys so that somebody can't just snipe them. My point about the drones attacking in an AoE was to inflict CC effects, both so that Overlord could escape and a means of supporting allies; like say, 15% slow and weaken (reduces target's damage output).

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:34 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
Ah, a fan-'Naut.

I will go off whatever is stated in the first post, since you have made revisions with BrassAsteria.

The idea of the 'Naut being very heavy while on the ground is interesting, and could function as the core mechanic around which everything else is based (it might fit better with some sort of immovable tank instead of a summoner, though). The base movement speed is very high indeed, so you might want to reconsider 11.2, especially considering it is potentially 10% higher than that.

On that topic, I would avoid having effects tied to jumping or landing unless they have a cooldown or cannot be spammed, otherwise players will be hopping everywhere (unless that is thematic/you are designing a frog). With the additional stomp mechanic, the utility does feel very complex already; given that this is a summoner, that does not bode well.

The auto-attack seems fine, although I do have to question why we need another status effect (brittle) when its end result is the same as an amplify. Two seconds of "brittle" is also quite long but not unworkable, just be careful with CC stacking—look at how we mutilated Penny's amplify.

Having Destroyer Drones summon automatically as a passive effect is quite neat, and opens up both abilities to commanding (or otherwise influencing) them. Usually, we would have an ability to summon them—and occasionally also to command them—but this is clever and unique. As a result, Lock On is simple and effective. VIP Landing Pads would be absolutely mandatory.

Fusillade deals quite high damage on what is a veritably short charge cooldown, although if the shots strike one after another in a line as I believe they do, it might not be so bad, so long as the enemy does not walk with the barrage and be hit with all of them (in which case it is their fault). Extra Launch Tube strikes me as strange, because consuming half the charges (so 3 if at 5 charges) makes no sense if the ability has, at base, a 2 second cooldown (+ 0.5 seconds per charge): surely by the time it were able to fire again, all the charges would have regenerated already? I suppose that does increase the potential DPS by a fair amount.

The idea of it summoning seems slightly like an afterthought: perhaps if there were more focus on controlling the summons or otherwise using them beyond targeting an enemy and having them make their merry way to be one-shotted by something. I would also remove the cooldown from Lock On, because five seconds is a lot of time and you would definitely want your drones to be more responsive than "one command every teamfight."

Not a bad start, but try to simplify some of the complexities. ...That is super unhelpful, Tiberius

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:55 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Ah, a fan-'Naut.
I was wondering if you'd pop in for a visit. :derp:
I will go off whatever is stated in the first post, since you have made revisions with BrassAsteria.

The idea of the 'Naut being very heavy while on the ground is interesting, and could function as the core mechanic around which everything else is based (it might fit better with some sort of immovable tank instead of a summoner, though). The base movement speed is very high indeed, so you might want to reconsider 11.2, especially considering it is potentially 10% higher than that.
My thought process was that his claws stuck into the ground as anchors, hence it only applying while on the ground.
On that topic, I would avoid having effects tied to jumping or landing unless they have a cooldown or cannot be spammed, otherwise players will be hopping everywhere (unless that is thematic/you are designing a frog). With the additional stomp mechanic, the utility does feel very complex already; given that this is a summoner, that does not bode well.
I just cut that ten minutes ago.
The auto-attack seems fine, although I do have to question why we need another status effect (brittle) when its end result is the same as an amplify. Two seconds of "brittle" is also quite long but not unworkable, just be careful with CC stacking—look at how we mutilated Penny's amplify.
I never liked his AA. Going to replace it.
Having Destroyer Drones summon automatically as a passive effect is quite neat, and opens up both abilities to commanding (or otherwise influencing) them. Usually, we would have an ability to summon them—and occasionally also to command them—but this is clever and unique. As a result, Lock On is simple and effective. VIP Landing Pads would be absolutely mandatory.
Having both abilities affect his summons actually sounds really cool. Going to add that.
Fusillade deals quite high damage on what is a veritably short charge cooldown, although if the shots strike one after another in a line as I believe they do, it might not be so bad, so long as the enemy does not walk with the barrage and be hit with all of them (in which case it is their fault). Extra Launch Tube strikes me as strange, because consuming half the charges (so 3 if at 5 charges) makes no sense if the ability has, at base, a 2 second cooldown (+ 0.5 seconds per charge): surely by the time it were able to fire again, all the charges would have regenerated already? I suppose that does increase the potential DPS by a fair amount.
what if I halved its damage, reduced its CD, and made it his auto attack?

The idea of it summoning seems slightly like an afterthought: perhaps if there were more focus on controlling the summons or otherwise using them beyond targeting an enemy and having them make their merry way to be one-shotted by something. I would also remove the cooldown from Lock On, because five seconds is a lot of time and you would definitely want your drones to be more responsive than "one command every teamfight."
super short cd on his ping abilities sounds reasonable
Not a bad start, but try to simplify some of the complexities. ...That is super unhelpful, Tiberius

>land based aircraft carrier
>simplify design
>pick one.

Edit: I just finished overhauling his entire design. I wonder what insane nerfs will be needed to bring this into the realm of balance.

Post subject: Re: [fan naut] Overlord C-48, the siege engine (reworked)
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:00 pm 

A jump with a fixed angle of movement might be a bad idea, given how much platforming you'll need to do in a match.
Photon Fusillade is simply underpowered. A potential 200 damage in one shot doesn't justify a cooldown or taking 1.5s for a single charge. It also needs to clarify if you can only shoot at a 30 degree angle and if you're just trying to say the shots are gravity affected.
If the lock on effect expires after 15s, it would be easier to just list that as Lock On's effect duration.
rest shop & repair stop is rather weak, given how expensive the upgrade. And frankly, the drones should have health regeneration out of combat anyway.

Post subject: Re: [fan naut] Overlord C-48, the siege engine (reworked)
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:34 pm 

BrassAsteria wrote:
A jump with a fixed angle of movement might be a bad idea, given how much platforming you'll need to do in a match.
jumping while stationary being vertical would fix that. Adding to OP.
Photon Fusillade is simply underpowered. A potential 200 damage in one shot doesn't justify a cooldown or taking 1.5s for a single charge. It also needs to clarify if you can only shoot at a 30 degree angle and if you're just trying to say the shots are gravity affected.
The angle is locked but the distance isn't, and shots are gravity effected, so to speak. Think of it like a fixed mortar or howitzer with the ability to adjust the firing arc. As for it being UP, his drones are about half of his damage. Will buff it though.
If the lock on effect expires after 15s, it would be easier to just list that as Lock On's effect duration.
Why didn't I think of that? Adding to OP.
rest shop & repair stop is rather weak, given how expensive the upgrade. And frankly, the drones should have health regeneration out of combat anyway.

RSRS will be either buffed or replaced.