Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Awesomenauts Fan Concept - Dr. Talbot
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:41 am 

I like it, very good so far. I'd definitely go with option 2 for the human skill 2. It sounds more fun mechanically and has a lot more potential for upgrades.

I would make it able to be detonated with a flask throw at base, and center the upgrades around debuffs as opposed to damage. Because, you know, science. For example, make one upgrade add slow, another for DoT, one for blind, etc. Turn it into a big debuff bomb.

Another interesting twist might be to have it do more damage the longer it sits on the burner. Say after a max of 5-10 secs or whatever it will explode naturally dealing max damage, but if you throw a flask at it to detonate it, it will do proportionately less based on the time you let it sit. This would raise his skill cap a good deal, but it could be very fun to see.

Also for his role, I would say harasser/brawler. Seems a good fit to me.

Mains: :cry:
Subs: :drool:

Fan 'Naut:Galena the Wrecker

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:19 am 

I like those ideas and I've had very similar ideas about that skill in the past. I think another good idea is also adding the ability for enemies to destroy it, resulting in it detonating at half its current effectiveness, probably in all areas (radius, damage, debuffs). I'll edit it in a few days time, maybe with some more sketches.

I also toyed with the idea of dual-purposing the upgrades, so that they effect both his human form and wolf form skills/AA, because right now he's limited to 3 scientist and 3 wolf upgrades. So maybe the Speed bag upgrade which increases his claw-strikes speed in Wolf form might increase the travel speed of flask in human form as well. However, I will probably stay with the current system for now, where you are forced to upgrade only one form. He would have to be play-tested to see if he could be good enough leaning one way or the other before deciding something like that.

https://www.twitch.tv/real_marshmallow_fox

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:30 am 

Try to do a mix of combined and separate upgrades. One of Derpl's biggest problems right now is that he has his skills limited to 3 and 3, and it prevents the player from reaching his full potential. Adding in a few combined skills would allow more versatility, but keeping a few separate would keep him from being too good all around.

Perhaps 2 human, 2 wolf, and 2 combo upgrades per row? That could be a good mix.

Mains: :cry:
Subs: :drool:

Fan 'Naut:Galena the Wrecker

Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:06 am 

I'm adding this post to here for now, eventually I'll merge it with the first post and delete this one, but for the contest, it's going here. Some changes and edits made with some of Ganz's input, varying the upgrades with form specific effects and dual-form effects. Also think the Scientist form is a much more tactical and skill related role now. I very much like the direction he is going in now.
Sorry, no flavor text for upgrades just yet. Also, I've tried to convert any mention of health/damage to the new x10 system, but I may have missed a spot.

Character Info
Name: Dr. Talbot
Race: Human
Role: Harasser/Support (Scientist) Brawler/Assassin (Werewolf)

SCIENCE!
TRANSFOOOOORM!
Wolf mode picture by Pockies.

Background Info: Here's a goofy little story. I used references from Awesomenauts lore at random. Obviously, it can be tweaked to fit more appropriately.

Despite his status amongst his peers as one of the top minds in the profession of SCIENCE!, Dr. Talbot's work and research seems to go largely underappreciated at Zork Industries. With business in the AI Wars booming, it seems advancements in the non-weaponized fields just aren't turning corporate heads. "Sorry Doc, you're gonna have to make due. We can't spare solar for your little experiments." Oh sure, when it comes to hiring Awesomenauts, there's funding; plenty of it.

It's not a total loss. Dr. Talbot has resigned himself to acquiring materials through less luxurious manners now. ScienzeStuffz.com may not be the most prestigious suppliers of all things SCIENCE!, but beggars can't be choosers. Not to mention, 30% off all beakers when you input the coupon code: "MeepMeep." Who could pass up those deals?

There was the occasional mishap; not totally unexpected, as they say, you get what you pay for. While working on a cure for Lupus, Dr. Talbot's order was processed incorrectly. Rather than his blood sample from a patient with the disease, what he actually received was a blood sample from the first discovered Lycanian referred to as "Lupus." The resulting chemical reaction induced a temporary but violent shift in Dr. Talbot. No lunch meat, shoe, or hydrant was spared that night. When he awoke from his state of blood (and science) lust, he had formed two hypotheses. First, by joining the Awesomenauts, Talbot could both ensure the future funding of any experiment while enacting his revenge upon the mercenaries at the same time. And second, that his new werewolf elixir was the perfect weapon to bring to the battle.

Style: Dr. Talbot begins as a typical, yet intelligent human. His speed is average, most likely leaning towards below-average. He has very little health, and his basic attacks are not powerful. When he ingests his Lupus compound, he transforms into his werewolf form, gaining more max health and immediately healing by the new difference. His moveset is different, and he gains a general increase in all stats. This power is limited and temporary, as is explained in his skills.

Move Set - I'll color his Scientist stuff blue and his Wolf stuff red

Scientist Jump: Chemical Reaction
Talbot's first jump is a short hop, on par with Lonestar's. Pressing Jump again in mid-air will cause him to smash two flasks together below him, resulting in a small explosive reaction which propels him higher.

Werewolf Jump: Wolf Leap
A high jump, like Leon's.

Upgrades (Basic 6)
Pills
Regen
Boots
Creeps Stone
Piggy Bank
BKM

Scientist Attack: Flask Toss
Dr. Talbot hurls a flask of an indeterminate, viscous liquid at his foes. The arc is similar to Lonestar's dynamite throw, but has a fixed distance, which is about half the total distance of the TNT. The flask shatters on impact, doing slight damage. The attack speed is not very fast, probably around the speed of Clunk's missiles after one or two speed upgrades.

Werewolf Attack: Wolf Combo
Talbot attacks with a three part combo consisting of two alternating claw slashes followed by a snapping bite. Each attack will have a more consistent speed than Skolldir's combo (less of an increased delay between 2nd and 3rd strike), but less ramped damage per attack in the chain. Fairly quick, decent DPS, can be done on the run like Leon' slashes or Gnaw's bites. Perhaps a damage of 50, 70, and 90 for each strike.

Upgrades - Two for Scientist, two for Wolf, two combined with lesser effects
Explosive Compound- Creates an explosive chemical reaction upon impact, resulting in splash damage.
Weighted Flask- Increases throwing range and direct hit damage of bottles.

Chew Toy- Adds slight snare to third strike in Wolf combo (bite).
Spiky Collar- Increases damage of Wolf Combo.

Office Door Speed Bag- Increases speed of slash strikes (1st and 2nd strikes in combo) by small amount. Increases travel speed of thrown Flasks.
Aloe Flavoring- Has healing effects when flasks are thrown at allies. Adds small lifesteal to third strike in Wolf combo (bite).

Scientist Skill 1: Bottoms Up
Talbot mixes two pipettes and downs his special concoction. There is a delay while he mixes and drinks and finally transforms. His max health is increased by a certain percentage and he heals this amount back upon transforming. (EX: If his base max health is 1000 and his max werewolf health is 1500, he will heal 500 points immediately upon transforming. When he reverts to human form, his max will drop back to 1000 but he will not lose any health other than what is over that limit.)
Talbot will remain in his werewolf state for a base time of maybe 10-15 seconds. Talbot will run faster, hit harder, and his attack as well as both skills will be replaced with Wolf Combo, Pounce, and Howl respectively. He can also cling to walls while in Wolf Mode.
When the timer runs out, Talbot reverts back to his human form, followed by a long cooldown. During the reversion, which lasts ~1.5 seconds, he cannot perform any actions.

Werewolf Skill 1: Lunge
Talbot takes a quick leap forward a short distance, slashing downward in the process. There is a slight arc to the jump and it can only be aimed left or right. Useful for pursuing, escaping, mobility, and supplementing combos.

Quick-Mix Stirring Rod- Decreases delay of mixing/transformation transition.
Extra-Large Beaker- Increases the duration of werewolf state.

Claw Sharpening File- Increased damage of slash.
Canikes- Increased lunge distance and speed.

Wet Dog Smell- Adds slight knockback to Lunge, and small knockback pulse (like Derpl's out of turret push) when reverting from Wolf back to Scientist.
Wolfsbane Chaser- Reduces cooldown time of both skills by staggered amounts (small amount for Lunge, slightly larger amount for Bottoms Up).

Scientist Skill 2: Modern Chemistry
Sets down a beaker over a Bunsen burner which reacts, detonating when its "fuse" time is up, when hit by a flask, or when damaged enough by an enemy. The liquids inside will bubble faster and the beaker will shake more violently as it comes closer to exploding. The longer the beaker sits before it explodes (a base time of ~6 seconds), the greater its effects. To add an extra element of skill, if detonated prematurely with a flask, its percentage of effects will be increased by a small percent. So if the beaker burns for 50% of its time, if detonated via flask, it will be at 50% + 5-10% for detonation bonus (mixing the chemicals with the flask chemical). So theoretically, if you waited for just the right moment and managed to still be by the beaker when it was just about to explode, you could get over 100% effectiveness by manually detonating it.
The explosion itself has decent damage, but five globs of chemicals also fly out of the explosion (similar to Gnaw's spit split.) They always travel on the same arcs (no random, don't worry): one travels straight up and down, two travel left and right on short arcs, two travel left and right on a longer, lower arc. These hit the ground and quickly dissipate, but they carry the debuffs. Being hit by these will cause some small DoT, as well as slight blind. The effects of these debuffs and the explosion damage, as well as the explosion size and glob distance all depend on the effectiveness of the final blast.
While a flask instantly detonates it, it has a small health amount (maybe around 300) and can be destroyed by enemies. This will reduce its effectiveness by 50% of its current percentage, possibly saving whatever might have been caught in the blast, or even rendering it near harmless.

Werewolf Skill 2: Howl
Talbot throws his head back and unleashes a chilling howl, pushing back all bots and 'nauts around him a short distance while also applying a mild slow effect. It affects a radius around him similar to Voltar's push effect on healbot, but it has a greater effect that only lasts for a short second. Talbot will also be immobile for the entire move. Nauts affected will also be "frozen with fear" (slowed down for about ~1 second).

Extra-Unstable Polymer- Increases the flask detonation bonus.
Double-Thick Beaker- Increases health of beaker.

Megaphone- Increases radius of howl.
Dirty Mouth- Adds silencing effect to howl.

Adhesive Chemical- Chemical globs now have small slowing effect. Slight increase to slow debuff on Howl.
Toilet Water- Increases DoT on chemical globs. Howl will now do slight damage to enemies.

https://www.twitch.tv/real_marshmallow_fox