Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: How to configure your network for best online play
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:22 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Awesomenauts networking is peer-to-peer based. Configuring your network correctly results in a higher chance of establishing direct connections with other players, more stable connections, lower latencies and also a lower chance of connection errors.
Simply said your online gaming experience will improve when your network is configured correctly.

How to configure your network?
Turn on Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) on your router. If you are still having network issues with UPnP enabled, reset your router and try again. Also make sure ports from the list below are NOT forwarded to any other computer.

If UPnP is unavailable on your router Port Forwarding should be used. This should only be done if UPnP is not supported.

The following ports must be forwarded:

Steamworks P2P Networking:
UDP 3478 (Outbound)
UDP 4379 (Outbound)
UDP 4380 (Outbound)

Steam Client:
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
UDP 4380

If that doesn't seem to improve anything, resetting your router (and modem) might help.
If that doesn't help forward:
Ports: UDP 1024-65535.
Yes this range is very large. This is no ideal solution at all. We are talking with Steam about this. Hopefully we have better solution soon.

Port forwarding howto:
How to enable port forwarding.
How to check if port forwarding is setup correctly.

Steam Support:
Troubleshooting Network Connectivity

If you haven't checked the FAQ / troubleshooting post please take a look at What can I do about network errors and high ping? and How to get the best matchmaking.

Post subject: Re: How to configure your network for best online play
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:34 am 

Thanks for posting these, glad my annoyingness of the topic got through. :p

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:27 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Yeah, we actually do something with feedback on the forums! 8-)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:50 am 

Could not figure out how to turn on plug and play on my router, it don't seem to have an option for it for some reison but i did open the ports.

I am wondering if it works better if i do the 2 options or only one of em is needed to have the best online experience for awesomenauts.

More to come...

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:59 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Solidsnakedog wrote:
Could not figure out how to turn on plug and play on my router, it don't seem to have an option for it for some reison but i did open the ports.

I am wondering if it works better if i do the 2 options or only one of em is needed to have the best online experience for awesomenauts.

They both achieve the same thing. So if you already opened those ports manually, then enabling plug and play has no additional effect for Awesomenauts. :)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:48 am 

I am very bad with internet connection, routers, modems and all that stuff and I don't have the router's password since I'm not the admin. Is there some sort of possible workaround?

It's a bummer, whenever I play the game shows I have 0 ping and everyone else has 500-600 ping, but it actually feels like I'm at 500 ping too. It also occasionally disconnects me.

Also, why would there be a problem with ports when I play all my other steam game with good ping, Hell I have a ping of less than 40 in most Killing Floor servers.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:37 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Do you have Adobe Air installed? For some people deinstalling that fixes ping issues in Awesomenauts (and in DotA 2 and League of Legends, so Adobe Air is doing something really weird there).

Restless Frager wrote:
It's a bummer, whenever I play the game shows I have 0 ping and everyone else has 500-600 ping, but it actually feels like I'm at 500 ping too. It also occasionally disconnects me.

That 0 is not your ping. Those 500-600 are your pings towards every individual player.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:16 pm 

Joost wrote:
Do you have Adobe Air installed? For some people deinstalling that fixes ping issues in Awesomenauts (and in DotA 2 and League of Legends, so Adobe Air is doing something really weird there).

Nope, I don't. Plus, I play league of legends with an average ping of 90.

Joost wrote:
That 0 is not your ping. Those 500-600 are your pings towards every individual player.

Oh that makes more sense.

Well it turns out that port forwarding fixed the issue. Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'd be curious to know why this must be done, is there a problem in the game's netcode or is it just something about steam being rotten?

Last edited by Restless Frager on Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:02 pm 

> Open/forward UDP ports 3478, 4379, and 4380 to the ip address of your computer.

Are you sure there is no typo in this? I assume it should be like
4378, 4379, 4380

regards

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:50 am 

Alamgir wrote:
> Open/forward UDP ports 3478, 4379, and 4380 to the ip address of your computer.

Are you sure there is no typo in this? I assume it should be like
4378, 4379, 4380

regards

Nope the ports specified are right, where ever you check on internet, you'll see those same ports. Hell, even my router had the ports pre-selected for being opened when I selected "Steam" in the drop-down menu.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next