Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Ix on Starstorm
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:03 pm 

There are still bugs related to Ix's tether on Starstorm. The other day I got tethered by an enemy Ix, took the bottom portal, emerged from the top portal entrance, and got swapped back to bottom anyway (the tether did not break). The tether not breaking seems like unintended behavior, and even if it was intended, there was a second bug that was even more frustrating. While being swapped, the animation returning me to the bottom took so long that I was killed at bottom before the camera had caught up to me. So to recap, I was swapped when I should have been too far away, and subsequently was vulnerable to enemies when I had no camera vision on my own sprite.

The first behavior is possibly latency-related, maybe it's unfixable. But at the very least you can make the swapping animation speed scale with swap distance so that buggy long-distance swaps don't result in screen blindness when they do happen.

main: :think:
second: :clap:
occasionally also play: :worship: :sleep: :scoop: :GnawShock: :rocco: :thumb:

Post subject: Re: Ix on Starstorm
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:11 am 

The bug is always related to latency.

Once the ping involved is longer than the duration of the teleport (which does have a duration hence why you can i frame dmg by teleporting) you can get swapped back.

This happens since the position where you get teleported to is always determined by your location on the ix's screen when ix presses the swap button. The timing for when you actually get swapped is determined by when the ix presses that button on your screen. (This is why ix doesn't swap to the top of the map).

So there would have to be a creative netcode way to prevent the problem from happening in the first place.

The camera movement absolutely should be fixed though. The same effect can be done in any situation where the target of the swap moves a great distance within the ping difference (such as kb ball, chucho with nitro upgrade, any bouncer, fast falling on nauts like skoll etc.)

(i've passed it onto Ronimo anyway)

Thanks for reporting :D

Check out my streams: twitch.tv/the_eddster27
Make sure you follow the MS Paint off!