Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Remove Moving Platforms
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:24 am 

I'm a new player. I'm playing your game, I'm having a good time.
Suddenly, I realize I can't make this jump because I have to wait for the platform to slowly move into position. Then I see that nobody else has trouble going up without the platform and I think "well that's random and stupid".

Post subject: Re: Remove Moving Platforms
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:20 am 

+1

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:37 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Is this secretly a request to have Raelynn's jump height increased by, like, 0.2?

If so, would "increasing Raelynn's jump height by 0.2" not be a better idea than removing an entire mechanic from every single map?

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:42 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Is this secretly a request to have Raelynn's jump height increased by, like, 0.2?

If so, would "increasing Raelynn's jump height by 0.2" not be a better idea than removing an entire mechanic from every single map?

No it's not. They already did buff all single jump characters' max jump height by 0.5 and it's not likely they're going to do it again. Not being able to make the jump without a platform is fine. The problem is that the platform is unpredictable and places unnecessary limitations not only on raelynn, but all other single jump characters like ted, ayla, and voltar.

Ronimo already removed moving platforms from Sorona, Ribbit, and even Aiguillon so it's not like they're against the idea. For whatever reason though, these platforms have stayed.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:17 am 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Luckytime wrote:
The problem is that the platform is unpredictable and places unnecessary limitations not only on raelynn, but all other single jump characters like ted, ayla, and voltar.

I would say the platforms can be slightly inconvenient if you catch them at the wrong time, I suppose. They are not really unpredictable.

Luckytime wrote:
Ronimo already removed moving platforms from Sorona, Ribbit, and even Aiguillon so it's not like they're against the idea. For whatever reason though, these platforms have stayed.

Fair point, although it might be preferable to instead change how the platforms work.

What if they were still until someone stood on them, then rose (faster than they do now) upwards? Might that be a nicer middle ground?

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:03 am 

The Lord Protector wrote:
I would say the platforms can be slightly inconvenient if you catch them at the wrong time, I suppose. They are not really unpredictable.

If you are in a different part of the map, there is no way to tell what position these moving platforms are in, unless you are somehow counting the cycles. In effect, this makes them unpredictable.

Luckytime wrote:
What if they were still until someone stood on them, then rose (faster than they do now) upwards? Might that be a nicer middle ground?

There is no way to do this, in the map editor at least. And I don't think ronimo wants to introduce a new mechanic in a map that has existed for years. I'm not really sure what you're arguing for tbh.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:28 am 

I've always thought the moving platform in center stage was akward and adds almost nothing to the center stage's punish/neutral game...but in terms of platforming It doesn't bother me, even as single jump nauts that have way lower diagonal jump heights than their neutral position counterparts.
the whole center stage is weird regardless but any minor changes I can think off seem to have a bigger consequence to the design of the map that makes the fix seem better off forgotten.

Kewn wrote:
Just wanted to bump in here to say this is the greatest thing.

Oil_Rope_bombs wrote:
I think you guys are just bad,

Jas123c wrote:
kathy wrote:
muncher.gif

this is a very serious question, please help :(

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:55 pm 

all the more reason to learn how to teleport jump. :raehands:

Yes I know the first jump couldn't have been a teleport jump, but you could've just done 2 short jumps.
What I'm trying to say is that there are work-a rounds to the seemingly 'random' platform movement. I think this adds to the platforming skill.

Your opinion is one of the reasons Sentry is in it's current state

Steam
Youtube [best montages]

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:02 pm 

Jas123c wrote:
all the more reason to learn how to teleport jump. :raehands:

Yes I know the first jump couldn't have been a teleport jump, but you could've just done 2 short jumps.
What I'm trying to say is that there are work-a rounds to the seemingly 'random' platform movement. I think this adds to the platforming skill.

I didn't even know about teleport jump. I hope they fixed that, can't seem to do it myself :think:
Are you saying just wait for the platform to go up? I know you can just wait, but that's the entire crux of the argument I'm making.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:06 pm 

_olaffff wrote:
...but in terms of platforming It doesn't bother me, even as single jump nauts that have way lower diagonal jump heights than their neutral position counterparts.

Where did you get that from? From what I've seen your jump varies randomly. If it is based on something, it sure ain't whether you're moving.