Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Strange grid traps
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:48 pm 

I don't understand what's happening. I played this game for years and to my understanding I'm clearly next to the trap, in safe enough distance. Has Ronimo made traps circular hitboxes or does my own hurtbox extend when I descend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv76jUcVRts

Post subject: Re: Strange grid traps
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:01 pm 

must be the disjoints of your feet. you probably know this but nauts' boxes are basically a square that is either thicker or thinner than the character model. I think what's happening here is that when you drop you let your disjoint connect with the area of effect of the grid trap, and the area of the grid trap seems to be a rectangle possitioned on the center of the grid trap, rather than being a disjointed square surrounding the sprite.

The only solutions i've found for this are to either go up or tp. Tp being a classic juke.

Kewn wrote:
Just wanted to bump in here to say this is the greatest thing.

Oil_Rope_bombs wrote:
I think you guys are just bad,

Jas123c wrote:
kathy wrote:
muncher.gif

this is a very serious question, please help :(

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:29 pm 

I have seen an enemy Lonestar encountering this "bug" too.

And Match ID: RL5ZB00
18:54
Chucho bomb was not close but it still sticked to me after I dropped.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:57 pm 

This looks rather whacky, perhaps this happened because of the hitbox on snares.
Not completely sure but I believe it's a circular hitbox, I think this is what might've happened :
https://imgur.com/a/ejMUV

(in case you are wondering, where you see the platform is not where your awesomenaut's feet are, they are a little bit elevated.)

Your opinion is one of the reasons Sentry is in it's current state

Steam
Youtube [best montages]

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:59 pm 
Adminaut

P2P netcode means finding the cause would probably require details from the Derpl's end rather than a replay from your end. Additionally since the replays aren't 100% accurate it just compounds the issue of the trap's position being inaccurate which then makes figuring out the issue hard to do.

Jas123c wrote:
This looks rather whacky, perhaps this happened because of the hitbox on snares.
Not completely sure but I believe it's a circular hitbox

A good guess for sure and I had to check to confirm but unfortunately they are squares.
bullet:HeavyTrap_collisionShape = Square

Glass platforms are fairly jank (seen them fail to stop downward momentum or just flat out change it to nonsensical values) so my guess is in the glass platforms themselves. Dropping through likely caused some jank movement to the right. Combined with netcode rounding it could very well cause you to move right enough on the enemy's client to trigger a trap. It really is anyone's guess though.