Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Terrible disconnection handler logic.
 Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:00 am 

I got booted from a game. I then got a message saying that I was booted due to poor connection. Well I have 157ms ping to London, from Kolkata, 80Mbs download speed, my computer is brand spanking new and I use fiber. My connection and computer are perfectly fine, and everything else works without a hitch. But these things can happen in a new game, it's quite alright. What is utterly inexcusable is that I got penalised for this.
[s]woo[/s]
Here's the screengrab.

Sure, it's only a few minutes before I can matchmake again, but the fact that my time is treated in such a cavalier fashion is what truly irritates me. I am quite a busy man who needs to make elaborate arrangements in order to play games like these with my friends. The small playerbase already means that a 15 minute game takes at least an hour to actually complete. Matchmaking takes at least five minutes, and at least five to six games found will fail because the opponent quits for whatever reason, and matchmaking has to start over. I will tolerate all of these things. I don't mind playing only a 15 minute game in my allotted 1.5 hour free time, but to then penalise me for the game developer's lack of foresight or whatever is just too much to take. I'm done playing this game until these things are fixed.

And then there's this forum which uses phpBB, which has a terribly dated interface. I mean, imagine my irritation at finding that this forum is using a forum software that does nothing to make the content visible and would rather focus on idiocies like gaudy signatures and whatnot.
While Discourse may not have the best codebase, the UX is modern and puts the content first.
Honestly, can Ronimo's devs be any lazier?

It's a pity that Ronimo has such mediocre devs, since their art and story are simply excellent.

EDIT: Please excuse the hissy fits highlighted in pink. I actually think Ronimo's devs have done a great job, terribly sorry about my language there. I still do think phpBB is awful.

Last edited by SlapstickMarmalade on Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Terrible disconnection handler logic.
 Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:29 am 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
I suggest you look up why you're being penalised for "having a bad connection". It's the same thing that happens in every game like this. You've got all of human knowledge at your fingertips through the modern and focus-grouped interface of Google: use it, honey.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:05 pm 

I humbly thank you for RTFM reply. Google was obviously no help here, otherwise I wouldn't have made this post.
What exactly am I supposed to find through Google? Seems like one overflowing with Google-fu such as you would have the answer to bestow upon a mere bumpkin like me.

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:51 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Imagine this scenario, you mere bumpkin, you:

1. Mark is in a game

2. Mark is losing

3. Mark doesn't like losing

4. Mark decides to quit the match

But wait! He'll get a penalty if he does that

5. Mark decides to pull his ethernet cable out

6. Mark might not have a wired internet connection; if so, he instead sets his router on fire

Now the game thinks he's merely disconnected through no fault of his own

7. Mark ends up out of the match, because he doesn't reconnect, and with no penalty to boot

8. Mark is happy; his allies and enemies probably aren't

9. Mark does not deserve to be happy

Injustice has transpired

Obviously, this is in a fantasy land where there's no punishment for disconnections.

In the really very real world, all disconnects are treated the same because it's physically impossible to ascertain whether or not someone has disconnected as a result of a failing connection or if they've just pulled their cable out/turned the router off—the difference is indistinguishable because both result in exactly the same thing.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:13 am 

For all your condescension, you seem to have missed the part about the server itself booting me.

I am well aware of the possibility of your hypothetical Mark scenario. Not only have I played MOBAs for nearly a decade, I have also been a developer for almost as long as that.

In my case, the disconnection was initiated by the server itself, so it seems to me that there ought to be logic to handle that. Now of course, Mark might have intentionally saturated his network with some sort of bandwidth hogging application. Or perhaps Mark knows how to manipulate packet priority or something. Either way, it may be that the client is intentionally creating a bad connection rather than outright pulling out the cable. There is yet another simple, if incomplete test for this: a ping test. Incidentally, I did that as well and found my ping to be at a very reasonable 130+ms, to the awesomenauts server.
Of course, there are many more tests that are considerably more complicated but I'll let those go because budget etc.

My entire point was that a server initiated disconnect should be better handled.

I would say I appreciate your response, but let's face it, a condescending reply from someone who barely reads my post is something I'd rather not bother with, thank you very much.

Digging a little deeper, I found that the game has no dedicated game servers, just some matchmaking ones and the game seems largely peer-to-peer, with only matchmaking and connection negotiation being handled by the servers, unlike League or Dota, whose servers do pretty much everything.
Well that does remove my anger quite a bit; this sort of set up does remove a lot of control from the server end. Also, this means Romino clearly has a limited budget. In that case, hats off to the amazing job they've done, and I really hope things get better.
Any Romino devs who read this: I'm sorry for the mean jab at your work ethics, but for the love of God stop using phpBB! :D

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:44 am 

SlapstickMarmalade wrote:
For all your condescension, you seem to have missed the part about the server itself booting me.

Thank you. I do try my best.

You seem to have found the answer you were looking for, though, so I'm happy. It seems doing the research and the digging paid off in the end, as the Google Guru suggested it would. Just don't bash Ronimo: that's my job, and I'll be damned if you're stealing it from me.

I also don't know where the actual tech support volunteers are. I'll try doing the summoning ritual again and see what happens. Stay tuned!

EDIT: I am genuinely interested in hearing about what you've been developing, though. Do tell.

ANOTHER EDIT: apparently I can't retrospectively spell. I'd like to "bach" Ronimo, though. Whatever that means.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Last edited by The Lord Protector on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:23 am 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Thank you. I do try my best.

Mhm yes, you do troll fairly well.

You seem to have found the answer you were looking for, though, so I'm happy. It seems doing the research and the digging paid off in the end, as the Google Guru suggested it would. Just don't bach Ronimo: that's my job, and I'll be damned if you're stealig it from me.

No, I did not find the answer I was looking for, exactly. Reading is an excellent aid to comprehension.

EDIT: I am genuinely interested in hearing about what you've been developing, though. Do tell.

Attempted ad-hominem eh? Well how about you show me examples of whatever it is you do for a living and I'll show you mine?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:33 am 

This is a known issue, see here: "Can't join game" glitch and Youtube video.
It's very rare. Most people think it is an issue related to the player, but I believe there have now been at least 3 people reporting this issue. It's a glitch with the game and can happen to anyone.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:36 am 

This doesn't look like the "can't join game" glitch (which is questionably a glitch at best).

Isn't this a "I was disconnected and penalised for a disconnect that I didn't initiate and that is not okay with me" query? If it's not, my response was irrelevant. If it was, my response is bang on the money.

I'm not even convinced that the linked things are glitches, like the people in the comments.

That said:

Attempted ad-hominem eh?

Not really, no. It was a genuine—

Reading as in excellent aid to comprehension.

What is utterly inexcusable is that I got penalised for this.

...to then penalise me for the game developer's lack of foresight or whatever is just too much to take.

Honestly, can Ronimo's devs be any lazier?

It's a pity that Ronimo has such mediocre devs, since their art and story are simply excellent.

—uh.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:17 am 

This doesn't look like the "can't join game" glitch (which is questionably a glitch at best).

I compared the video of SlapstickMarmalade with mine.
Both show an attempted join with a followed error message "49 - You have been removed from the game". It looks like the same thing to me.

Yes, it is a glitch because getting kicked off the game and getting penalized although your internet connection is fine and despite attempting to join back is not a thing the devs put in the game intentionally.