Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Ban
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:58 pm 

After starting the game today, I was surprised to see that a chat ban has been put on my account.

Since I know that the Tech forums are not the place to discuss bans, where is the place to discuss them then? I do know that Ronimo has been very silent lately and not really responding to emails. So (if I were to), how or where can I contact Ronimo about this situation?
I feel that the ban is on one hand justified, but on the other hand, it is not.

Post subject: Re: Ban
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:58 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
I've heard that Ronimo is a little more active on the Discord, but I don't know what does and does not constitute acceptable discussion over there—chances are that discussing bans isn't permitted. That said, it's probably your best shot.

However, I don't see why talking about the nature of any ban in principle would be against the forum rules here. These are the same rules from the same Code of Conduct that states—quite explicitly—that duplicate threads earn posters temporary bans. The rules are apparently, at a minimum, flexible.

If you're genuinely not immediately sure why you've been handed a chat ban, chances are you shouldn't have one. Unless it's been dispensed automatically by a series of mass reports, which is a system stupid in itself.

Were you flaming people or something? Did you dare to have a contrary opinion to the masses?

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:03 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
If you're genuinely not immediately sure why you've been handed a chat ban, chances are you shouldn't have one. Unless it's been dispensed automatically by a series of mass reports, which is a system stupid in itself.

Were you flaming people or something? Did you dare to have a contrary opinion to the masses?

I'm sure that I know the cause of the ban and it's not an automated one.
But it still comes as a surprise to me because I feel like I have not crossed the line of what is considered "toxic chatting" and I haven't received any punishment for the same (if not worse) behavior in the 2-3 years prior.

I feel like I'm stressed and pushed by other community members who more often than not like to stretch the facts to their liking and who are very toxic themselves, towards me and others.

That isn't to say my behavior is excusable. I think it isn't. I just seek for a chance to redeem myself and ask for forgiveness. And I'm asking for more specific reasons as to why the ban was set (exact chat logs for example). Knowing my mistakes better helps me to improve.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:27 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Well, no one here can tell you why you received a chat ban, but we could tell you if we think you should have. Usually, a chat ban solely for toxic communication requires someone to go really far off the deep end, in my experience.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:01 pm 

mugg1991 wrote:

I'm sure that I know the cause of the ban and it's not an automated one.
But it still comes as a surprise to me because I feel like I have not crossed the line of what is considered "toxic chatting" and I haven't received any punishment for the same (if not worse) behavior in the 2-3 years prior.

I feel like I'm stressed and pushed by other community members who more often than not like to stretch the facts to their liking and who are very toxic themselves, towards me and others.

That isn't to say my behavior is excusable. I think it isn't. I just seek for a chance to redeem myself and ask for forgiveness. And I'm asking for more specific reasons as to why the ban was set (exact chat logs for example). Knowing my mistakes better helps me to improve.

Although discussing these types of bans or removal of them on forums isn't permitted (even though half of the CoC is, quite frankly, not even enforced by moderation and tech support has not had a dedicated moderator for this sub-forum in probably 3 or so years now), I can definitely understand your frustrations mugg. Especially given what other "community MVP's" get away with without getting banned, it can feel like you have no control or voice over whatever rights you may have in the 'nauts community sometimes, as it's very segregated. This isn't necessarily ronma's fault since they try to do their best to keep the community clean, but they rely too heavily on input from both automated sources and by word of mouth from those that have contributed, whether or not their input is even factual on the matter it seems.

I do think the current system, even if automated, should let you know *what* exactly you were banned for; if it's arbitrary at best, one may not even know they're doing something wrong. There have been multiple people in this community I've interacted with that are toxic beyond belief (every other word out of their mouth is basically mocking others or *zorg*posting memes, even if it's not directly on forums), whom have never been, and never will be, banned simply due to their community involvement. It is by no means a fair or just system no, but ronma is doing the best with what they have is all.

As for your specific issue, I'd ask on the discord under support to PM a developer about a communications issue; if you say something along the lines of "dispute a ban", from what I've gathered they will not take the time to listen simply due to the sheer volume of people doing that on a regular basis to their e-mail accounts already. In this way, a more human conversing can occur rather than it seeming like you just want to get something out of a developer.

Best of luck to you mugg, and remember you can always PM me personally about anything as well and I'll do my best to resolve the issue or forward it if at all necessary; I do still try to provide the upmost support as I can for fellow 'Nauts members, even if people will attest otherwise, and I'm here for anyone who needs it.

All hail Nekomian. :worship:

Devmon52 wrote:
Voltar: is a moving breadstick of death

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:27 pm 

Thanks for your message Nekomian.

I do not use Discord and if anything, I would chat with rather than talk to the devs.
It sounds like there is nothing much I can do in my situation.
Perhaps I should try to PM one of the devs on this forum?
I still feel that the ban was unjust, since people are getting away with much, much worse.

Nekomian pointed out that people who have "contributed" are getting away with bad behavior, but have I not "contributed"?
I guess pointing out hundreds of exploits, flaws and bugs for many years in the game is not considered a contribution (but a nuisance?).

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:38 am 

You could try privately messaging a developer here, but don't hold your breath.

mugg1991 wrote:
I still feel that the ban was unjust, since people are getting away with much, much worse.

If indeed you were being abusive in the chat, or otherwise acting negatively for negativity's own sake, the fact that others also do so—and purportedly get away with it at that—does not justify your doing it.

mugg1991 wrote:
Nekomian pointed out that people who have "contributed" are getting away with bad behavior, but have I not "contributed"?
I guess pointing out hundreds of exploits, flaws and bugs for many years in the game is not considered a contribution (but a nuisance?).

Similarly, acting positively on the forums, or anywhere else related to this game, does not generate "positive karma" such that it can be used to offset later negative behavior.

If someone were acting in a manner that deserves repercussion, it shouldn't matter who they are. Now, you might have a point in so far as there could be some players in this community that are allegedly shielded from repercussion only because of who they are, but that's not a desirable method of fair moderation and shouldn't be encouraged.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:55 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Similarly, acting positively on the forums, or anywhere else related to this game, does not generate "positive karma" such that it can be used to offset later negative behavior.

If someone were acting in a manner that deserves repercussion, it shouldn't matter who they are. Now, you might have a point in so far as there could be some players in this community that are allegedly shielded from repercussion only because of who they are, but that's not a desirable method of fair moderation and shouldn't be encouraged.

This topic is a little old, but wanted to reiterate something; yes it should not matter whom a person is given what they do, but the community is already so small here that some are inadvertently shielded by developers or even by other friends in the community. I've personally been told at one point during balance discussions to stop talking just because I disagreed with a "respected community member"'s own viewpoint. The validity of either points did not matter, it was basically a seniority / popularity contest in this instance. This *shouldn't* happen as often as it does, but it unfortunately can and will continue.

As for mugg's chat ban, you can PM on discord (you don't have to verbally talk with a Dev, we have chat channels and private messages; I only mentioned it because it would be a quicker way of communication than forums PMs) or on forums directly. I'm not sure what you did to get a chat ban, but the majority of the time they're not pre-meditated reports or bans so I doubt moderation would waive it. It never hurts to ask though to learn from past mistakes, so I'd highly encourage it.

Devmon52 wrote:

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:19 pm 

I logged into my account and saw the "permanent chat ban" had been changed to an expired "2 week temp ban".
I was able to send messages in global chat, but I couldn't use commands or chat in-game.
So I'm not sure if Ronimo has changed the ban or if it is a bug with how the ban text is displayed.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:15 am 

mugg1991 wrote:
I logged into my account and saw the "permanent chat ban" had been changed to an expired "2 week temp ban".
I was able to send messages in global chat, but I couldn't use commands or chat in-game.
So I'm not sure if Ronimo has changed the ban or if it is a bug with how the ban text is displayed.

AFAIK nothing chat-related or ban-related will be changed until *next* patch update, but if you PM'd they might've taken your considerations into account and lessened the severity. I'm honestly not sure since this is an individualized thing that you'll have to work with ronma on your own about (since bans shouldn't be discussed on forums here), but hopefully it does all indeed work out :ayla: .

Devmon52 wrote: