Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Tips for soloq noobs?
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:47 pm 

So I can call myself a noob officially now. Because I'm not new to the game, know a lot about how to do stuff, but still bad at it. Actually I deserve a medal for being bad :lolstar:

I'm just stuck at several points and can't move on from there. Bots aren't helping because they don't represent human gameplay at all.

Any help with these issues would be great :raehands:

Scoop
Really good if his allies are nearby and he lands hammers. What if he's left alone? He doesn't seem being able to do much on his own. Or am I wrong? Should I defend (he's not good from behind the tower) or should I brawl (act like I'm dangerous) with him (weak burst early-mid, unreliable AA make this hard)?

Jimmy/Amy
Really good brawling and initiating early-mid, but near the lategame I often don't know what to do. Enemies counter my attacks because I already used all the tricks I know and they don't buy it anymore. They stall, then push back and I'm screwed. How to push as Jimmy straight to the enemy core? Or "how to push as Jimmy forward and not to your own turrets"? :jimmy:

Scolldir/Clunk
What is the best way in training throw/bite? Hitbox and delay are so tricky there.. it's hard. Bots won't help, they don't move around as human players do. Going straight into the field is painful because I get strong l2 opponents almost all the time. They don't forgive such poor skills and I'm not learning anything but collecting solar with a droppod.

Ted
How do you guys live with that "no-walking-back" thing? What's the trick?

Lonestar
Funnily enough. I used to do bullpins intuitively but then someting has broken. I literally just did that and suddenly it stopped happening.
What's the theory? Facing the enemy at melee range being centered with him?

Sure! Penny! :party:
Actually only two things.
1. If there's a Leon, I'm dead. He's got like 10 times more DPS. And hitting him with AA is impossible due to some hitbox bugs in the game. And 4 hours of silence vs mine 1.5 seconds at max feels unfair. What's the strategy?
2. How do I brawl a mid-late Ayla? Poking is useless - she has Clunk's level of HP and regen about 200/sec even being enraged. Just... How?

TBH the only truly "easy" character in the game appeared to be Raelynn. Just practice aiming. That's all. Reached lv12 twice faster than with anyone else. And got most win %.

Post subject: Re: Tips for soloq noobs?
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:36 pm 

Scoop: crap soloq naut. not enough dmg. You have to be extremely efficient at getting your dmg off all the time. Lategame his aa is good enough to carry but takes way too long to get going.

Lux: Look for some more creative pins e.g. against a wall in their direction. Rely on danger pins and your aa to do dmg. Super lategame Lux is kinda meh but until then you should be fine just rolling into people.
early game -> kill with cheesy charges
mid game -> kill with aa dps and brawling
late game -> bait the enemy into bad situations to force a good teamfight

Skoll/Clunk: Practice. If you are struggling in games divert almost all of your attention to clearing droids and you will get better.

Ted:
mouse and keyboard helps immensely. The trick is the same regardless: walk back -> jump -> shoot forward while in the air so the momentum moves you back.

Lone: They (ronimo) messed up bullpins kinda. I don't really play Lone so I don't really know the best way to get it to work. Generic answer of "practice" will almost certainly apply.

Penny(1):
Hit your abilities and Leon loses. If he is being aggressive into you then pulse him as he comes in. Then 2-3 aas and a pounce and he dies. If you are being aggressive then pounce and aa at almost the same time then judge whether he is going to back off or fight. If he is going to back off then continue chasing with aas until the pulse can finish (or run if it's not safe). If he is going to fight then dodge the tongue before continuing. Keep the combat vertical and build up charges by aaing him for the pulse.
(there are no aa hitbox bugs in the game git gud)

Penny(2): Don't 1v1 her if she is full. Pounce is fantastic at getting Ayla away from you. Just pounce and then run the other way (mid to lategame you should have stun on pounce which really helps here). Just focus on pulsing her in teamfights, pouncing her out of position when looking to start fights and chasing her down with pounce after fights. If Ayla doesn't have evil eye you can 1v1 her if you hit everything and win.

Check out my streams: twitch.tv/the_eddster27
Make sure you follow the MS Paint off!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:41 am 
Adminaut

Scoop's strengths are in his teamplay so you are right that he can't do that much alone. Whether you're defensive or offensive largely relies on enemy CDs. Obviously don't go out into a Black Hole + Nado + Flame Breath, try to get them to expend skills before being more aggressive with your AA and bindings, as Scoop can be quite a bully even early on. If you're getting poked out use Hammer to get health back to make sure you're always healthy for when your team fights (ALWAYS take Snow Shovel, at least in solo Q).

To go off Eddster's statement on being a bad solo pick I think you need to remember Scoop's strengths and then consider your choice based on that. If I see no-name teammates lock high damage close-range characters I can make an educated guess they'll be suicidal as hell and really benefit from... not dying. They'll land all their damage, at that point I just need to make sure their bad gamesense doesn't throw the game by feeding. Holy Cup does the trick nicely there. You'll be surprised how snowbally a match gets when the ham Chucho gets picks every sticky without dying in the process. Meanwhile if it's a solo Q Lone and Rae then you can expect them to both be suicidal and do no teamfight damage so at that point you need a more solo Q ready 'Naut.

I'm obviously a few ranks below Edd in terms of leaderboard (L1 in the 200s) so take my word with a bit more salt.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:32 pm 

Thanks for the tips. :thumb:

I just had an insight yesterday. I know why I still keep doing so poorly at this game. Lack of prolonged concentration. I play after work, being tired, so it's no wonder.
Clearly saw it in two matches. Rae on 205. Very early game. I drop down through fire... Triple kill firstblood. Damn that feels good! But after that... I mean we got the momentum needed, I ended up 6/0, their top rank ragequit, but the rest of the whole job was made by Chucho who went nuts after that first success.
Then another one. We had a great start, we opened their core, Frog saved me a million times but not for nothing. Great pickups without trading! I mean I even killed voffer! That's huge for me. But then... I just started to do what I shouldn't. I left my team too often, died a lot for that... Our Derpl got that desease too. And we lost... But could win if I didn't start feeding and doing zork. Why I did that? I have no idea. No excuse too. :facepalm:

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:17 pm 

Alright, I'll give some tips for the Nauts I know.

Clunk

I find that in high leagues, snarebite + universal charger are a must for landing explode. Also, Power Converter (heal over time on bite) is a literal lifesaver. It is a must have for me. Generally, my first 4 upgrades are U. Charger, snarebite, Power Converter, explosion damage. The rest falls down to spacing and going in when the opportunities present themselves.

Lonestar

Bullpins have indeed felt weirder nowadays, but there is a trick. You want to bullpin your enemies while they are in mid-air.

Ted

I'm afraid to say anything because eddster is the Ted guy and I don't want him to yell at me.

OTHER GOOD SOLOQ DUDES

Chucho

Good at pushing, stickybombs are a good poking tool. Once you get how to chain his damage together (Neon Nitro Muffler into stickybomb), he gets really dangerous.

Skree

Though his DoT saw makes him kinda wonky, Skree still has great saw and AA damage. Plus, they're giving his saw direct damage again in the next update, so woo.

By the way, have they fixed the saw still being DoT in the beta?

Murderchild did nothing wrong. :ayla:

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:06 pm 

I always take AOE for Clunks AA at beginning. Clunk has absolutely horrible droid clear without it, so if enemy is trying to push at all, it helps a lot. Or, you have to kill enemies very fast... Mid/Endgame Clunk is beast anyway so AA dmg upgrades arent so needed for him. Oh, and I also take the homing missiles for him. They have many many uses for almost free price. Never even tried to take regen bite upgrade myself. The +44% dmg upgrades and snarebite do good for me. The max Health from bites upgrade is useless imho, Clunk has good HP without it, and usually when you die, youd die no with or without it. Dmg to Kill instantly helps more..And heals you as well.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:20 am 

IsoKoala wrote:
I always take AOE for Clunks AA at beginning. Clunk has absolutely horrible droid clear without it, so if enemy is trying to push at all, it helps a lot. Or, you have to kill enemies very fast... Mid/Endgame Clunk is beast anyway so AA dmg upgrades arent so needed for him. Oh, and I also take the homing missiles for him. They have many many uses for almost free price. Never even tried to take regen bite upgrade myself. The +44% dmg upgrades and snarebite do good for me. The max Health from bites upgrade is useless imho, Clunk has good HP without it, and usually when you die, youd die no with or without it. Dmg to Kill instantly helps more..And heals you as well.

I used to do similar stuff. Also I like the multihose idea (megaheals). But that all is not very effective to kill people. I've seen godplay Clunk once. He went for full dmg on bite, explode and double missiles after bite. He timed it perfectly so it was something like snarebite-explode-double big missile in under 1 second. No enemy could survive that. Technically we won simply by pushing for free because enemy team was dead all the time.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:39 pm 

ScR wrote:
I used to do similar stuff. Also I like the multihose idea (megaheals). But that all is not very effective to kill people. I've seen godplay Clunk once. He went for full dmg on bite, explode and double missiles after bite. He timed it perfectly so it was something like snarebite-explode-double big missile in under 1 second. No enemy could survive that. Technically we won simply by pushing for free because enemy team was dead all the time.

Yeah thats how you Clunk. But it doesnt even require any "godlike" skills. I have many matches with 25+ kills as Clunk. For me it requires opponents that are not in L1 though.... as Clunk is still punishable after the explosion.

Easiest kills are often near enemy turret. Enemies stay too long, too close, thinking that they can escape even after getting snarebite. But it doesnt work like that - you start charging the explosion before using the snarebite, jump at the turret and bite at the same time. You barely even need the snare when timing properly, but having it is always a good insurance.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:56 pm 

IsoKoala wrote:
Easiest kills are often near enemy turret. Enemies stay too long, too close, thinking that they can escape even after getting

This one is a mystery really. I've seen this countless times on both sides.

Hey! There's an angry little dragon attacking our turret! Let's get closer and look how cute she is!
Hey! There's an adorable vixen chipping our turret! I got only 300hp but I wanna hug her!
Hey! There's a killer robot behind the turret! Let's go out and die! :lolstar:

Hey look at this guy's fists! Let me ask him... Awawawaw put me down! Not that way, you...

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:55 am 

Ok, last one.
How do I win matches solo? It happens too often. I get "well, not bad" enemies that stick together and teammates who never group up, no matter what.
So, basically I'm trying to clear and push both lanes and fight enemies at the same time. And it's not working, ofcourse, I get outpushed.
What exactly should I do in games like that? I know they could be won. But I don't know how. What are my priorities?