Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: How the Zork Does Yuri Work?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:07 pm 

I decided after 1800 hours of gameplay, it was time to stop putting off learning how to play Yuri.

So how do I use the guy?

You need to buy flash forward if you want any hope of escaping anyone unless you camp top lane over a transparent platform.

Go up against any hard counter who has the speed or ability to get in close and instantly take all your health such as Ksenia or Nibbs and you might as well just turret camp the entire match.

He's useless in Solo queue as his best special requires consistent good team play in order to actually be useful.

How am I supposed to get even remotely close to control points to place mines on them and deny enemy mobility when Yrui hurts the most from overextension and has several people who shut him down like he's nothing?

Yuri's best security lies in proximity to allies who can act as a discouragement of engagement, yet he's not mobile enough to be able to stick close to anyone.

It seems like getting any substantial use out of laser and mines require proximity to the character's skill ceiling leaving the team dependent bubble special as something that's more approachable. I imagine he functions far better in a team developed around his strengths. Even then, picking Yuri still only sounds like a good idea in drafts as you know who you are up against. He has far too many counters it seems to leave opposition down to luck of the draw. Especially considering that basic mobility is enough to counter him, let alone any minor form of CC.

By the time half the roaster of the game is in your FOV, it's already too late if you are anywhere farther than an anchor dive's length away from turret.

His hitbox is huge for no darn reason.

I seriously can't figure out anything about this guy.

I'm not sure what I think about this. :think:

Winner of the Awesomenauts Guide Contest

Post subject: Re: How the Zork Does Yuri Work?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:27 pm 

Alright. We gotta clarify a few things, the ksenia and nibbs thing was only an issue because you weren't familiar with yuri.
Also that ksenia is one of the best I've seen, if not the best. I wouldn't expect you to do well.

The key to yuris success is his movement. It feels clunky at first but you'll get used to it. You must make good use of turning his jetpack off, he falls like a rock and you can get out of any situation provided you have the height advantage.

Now, onto the build.

Earlygame usually I pick up a bit of everything, but would prefer to get Flash Forward, Mine damage, Slow or Length and Barrier or Regen.
However it really does depend on your opponents, and you may take something else first instead like double regen off the bat for gnaw.

After I'm done with those upgrades, I head towards getting tankier and harder to get rid of. These upgrades are:
Heal bubble, Mine Healing, Hubble, slow/length if you havent, barrier and pills.
Now, once you're at this point, there's a few upgrades you can use to fill the gaps.
The cooldown on bubble is really good, and time primers is also really good. However if there's a lot of nauts who like to try DPS you like ksenia you can get lifesteal.
For the utility row it depends. If you're having trouble sticking around you'll want regen, I prefer boots, or you can get BKM if there's a rae or something. I don't recommend piggy. Boots are very nice.

I'll go watch the replay and give you some more targeted tips.

EDIT:

Alright, I skimmed through it and found a few errors that weren't missing mines or being rusty.
You'd hang onto your abilities a bit too much, often not leaving with bubble active even though you were holding onto it. It still boosts by 10% speed even without FF. It also slows down DoT by 30% as well.
You made alright use of turning off jetpack but you often tried to run the long way where the other team could catch up and kill you. A juke some people do is drop through the 3 platforms above the first bottom turret to quickly drop out of range, but it seemed as though it was just lack of practice. You don't need to pick him up if you don't want to however. I found it easy to play him after 10-20 games however.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:11 pm 

dont jump to conclusions now you say your just learning him but have some seriously misleading claims.
protip: bubble

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:05 am 

Diz Hydron wrote:
I decided after 1800 hours of gameplay, it was time to stop putting off learning how to play Yuri.

So how do I use the guy?

You need to buy flash forward if you want any hope of escaping anyone unless you camp top lane over a transparent platform.

Depends on the map but mostly getting used to his movement. Knowing when to toggle the jetpack on/off, camping over platforms (like you mentioned previously) and saving bubble for the right times goes a long way. After a while, you won't even need Flash Forward.

Go up against any hard counter who has the speed or ability to get in close and instantly take all your health such as Ksenia or Nibbs and you might as well just turret camp the entire match.

I would agree... if Yuri hadn't been buffed recently since now he can tank nukes fairly well (Barrier Magazine is your friend). If you're up against high mobility characters, you may want to consider bouncy mines. It offers a ridiculous amount of area denial in Starstorm and Sorona (in Ribbit and Aiguillon you don't really need them).

He's useless in Solo queue as his best special requires consistent good team play in order to actually be useful.

While it can be frustrating to wait for a good opportunity to use bubble, you can just keep deploying mines until your team mates decide to follow you. It's not particularly exciting but you can deploy mines ad infinitum to frustrate your enemies until you see some good oportunities to initiate.

How am I supposed to get even remotely close to control points to place mines on them and deny enemy mobility when Yrui hurts the most from overextension and has several people who shut him down like he's nothing?

When it comes to early game, you have two options: either keep clearing droids with your mines safely or bait out the enemy team into using their abilities without getting caught and then go in with the bubble. Once again, getting used to his movement is key.

Yuri's best security lies in proximity to allies who can act as a discouragement of engagement, yet he's not mobile enough to be able to stick close to anyone.

I dunno man, plopping bouncy mines all over the place sounds like a pretty good security system to me... but jokes aside, Yuri is meant to enable his team pulling off wombo-combos and blocking their way out with bubble and slow on laser.

It seems like getting any substantial use out of laser and mines require proximity to the character's skill ceiling leaving the team dependent bubble special as something that's more approachable. I imagine he functions far better in a team developed around his strengths. Even then, picking Yuri still only sounds like a good idea in drafts as you know who you are up against. He has far too many counters it seems to leave opposition down to luck of the draw. Especially considering that basic mobility is enough to counter him, let alone any minor form of CC.

This would've been true a couple of patches ago. However, now Yuri can clear pretty damn well due to the mine damage buff (besides making mines more threatening from the get-go and making them scale much better into the late game) which means you can be really passive with almost no drawbacks. Make them come to you, not the other way around.

By the time half the roaster of the game is in your FOV, it's already too late if you are anywhere farther than an anchor dive's length away from turret.

Not sure what the issue here is?

His hitbox is huge for no darn reason.

It's pretty helpful when it comes to bodyblocking but it does make you more prone to being poked. Medican can help a lot against that sort of team.

I seriously can't figure out anything about this guy.

Well, you have to go in with a defensive mindset. Play safe and stall if you don't see any good chances (or if your team seems to be out of synch), get Medican early if you're getting poked and keep your distance. Bouncy mines lets you focus a bit more on positioning (similar to homing missile on Clunk) so i'd recomend getting them in the aforementioned maps. If you manage to not die in the first 10 minutes as Yuri, there's a good chance you can carry your team thanks to his godly lategame, even if you're not completely comfortable playing him.

Haven't seen the replay but going off of uiomancant, you seem to be alright (probably better than me, even though i main Yuri) so it just comes down to practice. If you don't like his movement and his playstyle, just give up. There's no reason to torture yourself into playing a character you don't enjoy. Either way, hope this helps.

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:20 am 
Adminaut

With how the solo meta has progressed Yuri will be very frustrating now compared to before. He's incredibly good with coordination but if you're out to carry randoms with aggressive plays then you're gonna hit a few roadbumps.

To elaborate, Yuri playing defensively with his team can be near-impossible to collapse on thanks to the constant uptime and high threat of Mines, esp. for mobile characters that would otherwise trounce him. It can be very hard to get in there and once you do Yuri's wombo combo nature can be obscene with even weak ally CCs. However if you're hitting solo Q you'll likely have to be the damage-dealer of the game due to the unreliability of randoms. This means hitting facemines (or 'meatbombs' as some call them) and this is where those more mobile characters just own you. A decent Dizzy or Rocket should honestly never get hit by a facemine and from what I've seen playing not-Yuri the characters that win the 1v1s tend to be the more popular pub picks. Obviously the game isn't just about 1v1s but pub games may as well be so it becomes very relevant here.

That said, Laser is a very good pressuring tool for squishies (which all your bad matchups tend to be) so using your good farm to get these will help a good deal. In general your early is pretty bad but that's made up for with a ridiculous late-game (even in solo play, let alone team play). With a good team they can help you stall but in solo Q you're really on your own to punish over-extensions and simply farm. The gameplan is to tape the 3 key and farm, get your broken items and then own mid-game onwards.

The really broken items being:
  • CDR Warp (no downtime Warp???)
  • Regen Pod (insane healing for 1 item)
  • Time Primer (with teammates that help)
  • Spacetime Continuity Device (hard to shut down, own Smiles)
  • Titanium Spikes (ez dmg)
  • Uranium Spikes (ez bulk)
  • Mine Constructor (good clear, Uranium synergy and owns Ayla)
  • Monocle (ez AA)
  • Hubble (broken AA)
  • Yeti (this isn't funny any more)

The other good items worth considering are:
  • Flash Forward (pretty damn broken with Regen Pod due to how Bubble is coded but I see a lot of value in not running it for a raw shutdown build in Regen Pod/Time Primer/CDR, basically unapproachable for melees lol and you're still pretty damn mobile thanks to base 10% FF)
  • Carpet (still alright but kind of pointless when Titanium Spikes is as good and far more flexible; still a nice sidegrade item if you have >200 ping or are incredibly confident in your facemines; multiplies Uranium Spikes too)
  • Instant Charge Battery (overpriced but the double DPS combo is ridiculously good still, esp. with Flash; usually get as much damage put on enemies by slapping them with Yeti and/or range anyway tho as they increase damage uptime and can enable teammates to land their dmg too)
  • Flyswatter (gives up so much late-game oomph but the economical poke can ease early-game progression; buy at your own risk)

I'm not really a Yuri expert any more tho, barely play him since he's more of an exercise in frustration when playing alone into L1, even when you do well. #1 advice I really wanna give is play him with friends, they can patch up your weak early-game and you can do some funny meme combos while you learn the character. Skolldir/Yuri will always be a good time (for the Yuri) whether you win or lose. For solo play though I find Max is an adequate character if you want a flying outplay character like old Yuri.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:27 pm 

Thank you for sharing your valuable thoughts but I don't think that your thoughts are completely right. maybe i am wrong.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:34 am 

pablo987 wrote:
Thank you for sharing your valuable thoughts but I don't think that your thoughts are completely right. maybe i am wrong.

Without being more specific, this isn't really a helpful post. :shrug:

Outline what you disagree with and why.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:01 pm 

As a bit of a Yuri player myself, my advice is to practice mine placement. Stacking mines is always fun, but it is far better to place mines in areas where your opponents will be running at you. Cover your escape routes when not cutting off lane cyclers. Just plopping a few mines around your general area will greatly help with nauts like Dizzy.

And whenever you run from bad engagements, pop bubble. It's a borderline garunteed escape, especially with Flash Forward.

Murderchild did nothing wrong. :ayla: