Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Commander Rocket: What's Wrong With This Picture?
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:39 am 

So I've been playing a lot of Commander Rocket lately; I find that I really enjoy poking with fully-loaded AA bursts and flying around the map off of the Rocket Launch's recoil.
The problem is that, while I've got a build that generally works as far as my individual performance, and seems to work pretty well for team fights... Inevitably my team ends up hitting a wall and losing.

Some notes:
  • The Utilities row tends to be spread out throughout the match rather than at the very end - since it tends to change so much based on performance there wasn't really a good place to put it.
  • Card w/ Kiss is only for situations where I have a teammate I can stay near reliably; otherwise I'm more likely to go for Medal Booster. I'm curious as to whether Head in Jar is actually worth the price since I tend not to fire very many individual rockets unless I'm attacking a turret.
  • I honestly have no idea how to build Rocket Launch; Mother of Bombs would be an obvious choice if it weren't for the overly limited window of use, and both Zurian Bomb Wrangler and Mad Bomb seem a bit too questionable in terms of actual benefit. It tends to come last simply because I tend to need to be in fairly close to actually connect the rockets, meaning that the upgrades are the lowest priority.

Does anything stand out as 'obviously wrong' with this build? Is there a better upgrade than Multi-stage Rocket given the ticks are fairly far apart and don't seem to do much individually?

EDIT: tried to fix build link, not sure if it's showing up properly for everyone or not.

Last edited by Camkitsune on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Commander Rocket: What's Wrong With This Picture?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:55 am 

Your image is broken, thus I'll just drop a build in nautsbuilder, and you can recreate yours.
https://orikaru.net/nautsbuilder#Comman ... 4-22-22-10
Basically for the earlygame you just back the * off and live. You need particles, and 4th rocket on aa as soon as you can. Once you have a fairly good aa you can spec into rocket launch. With nuke bug, you can launch in, drop 500+ damage with aa then leave, and dump another 500 aa if they chase then you can dump rocket launch damage on them. If they're too dangerous you can rely on rocket launch damage to keep them away.

Wraith stone is really good because you can easily slap creeps with your aa which helps massively when your healthpool is nearly nonexistent.

The mother of bombs effect is infinite, you can store it for as long as you need. It cancels if you use rocket launch offensively.

Multistage Rockets is a scam, you should never really pick that up unless the enemy team has a laser trap fetish. Standing near cigars yield 32 DpS per stage, and they home. Each stage of Multistage is 26 DpS, inconsistent and more expensive.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:36 pm 

Your build is actually almost identical to mine.

The only big differences are that I opted for Med-I-Can instead of Stone (I'm avoiding enough damage that generally Med-I-can is more useful, esp. if I can't get reliably access creeps like on 205), duration instead of shield (I'm usually at the edge of the trap and moving around too much), and Toaster Rocket instead of MoB (the bonus only applies if I'm using the rocket to jump in, which doesn't really work as well with Nuke Bug).

Having played a few more matches with him, MoB doesn't mesh well with my playstyle since I tend to prefer to lob the rockets from above where possible in order to get the AoE damage alongside charged rocket. Given rocket-boosting into combat is pretty situational for me I find Toaster helps land the rockets a lot more reliably.

In terms of order, I usually get Plan B on drop, then pick up Slow + Med-I-Can, 8balls, then trap duration.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:31 pm 

Camkitsune wrote:
Your build is actually almost identical to mine.

The only big differences are that I opted for Med-I-Can instead of Stone (I'm avoiding enough damage that generally Med-I-can is more useful, esp. if I can't get reliably access creeps like on 205), duration instead of shield (I'm usually at the edge of the trap and moving around too much), and Toaster Rocket instead of MoB (the bonus only applies if I'm using the rocket to jump in, which doesn't really work as well with Nuke Bug).

Having played a few more matches with him, MoB doesn't mesh well with my playstyle since I tend to prefer to lob the rockets from above where possible in order to get the AoE damage alongside charged rocket. Given rocket-boosting into combat is pretty situational for me I find Toaster helps land the rockets a lot more reliably.

In terms of order, I usually get Plan B on drop, then pick up Slow + Med-I-Can, 8balls, then trap duration.

Well, continuing to keep up with the slow updates, you need cigars. It's just so good. It's 64 DpS to trap at level 2, and is only like, 145 a stage. It's wonderful. Also I should've requested some replays of you doing badly in particular, because telling a person why they're wrong is an effective strat to make them less bad.
Which surprisingly enough, isn't very sarcastic.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:37 am 

You seem to be going for a more DPS oriented build. With that in mind some of the upgrade choices seem... weird.
  • Scorched Cigar Pouch along with Cirean Cigars is a bit of an odd combo. The main concern is that you won't have much range on the slow. I'd suggest trying to either max out the damage of Laser Trap with Multistage Rocket instead of SCP or max out the utility of the ability with range or duration instead of C. Cigars.
  • Plan B Rockets without reload speed is a recipe for wasted Solar, my friend. There's an upgrade specific for when you don't take Reload Speed, and that's Head in a Jar. If you want to run a more consistent DPS build take Head in a Jar, if you want universally good utility I'd suggest Medal Booster Pack along with Card with a Kiss, turning Charged Salvo into more of a backup tool.
  • Wraith Stone. :chucho: Take Med-i' it's better 95% of the time.
  • You also don't really need Space Air on Rocket, though if you're taking Nuke Bug you will be lacking a reliable escape. I'd maybe try something other than Space Air, or at the very least considering Space Air later into the game after seeing how the enemy team plays around you.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep: [Femme :thumb: Fatal]
:LeonWink: (Chinese Ripoff Space Jam) Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:57 pm 

Replies in Blue so I can insert them into the list more effectively.

GuyBrush wrote:
You seem to be going for a more DPS oriented build. With that in mind some of the upgrade choices seem... weird.
  • Scorched Cigar Pouch along with Cirean Cigars is a bit of an odd combo. The main concern is that you won't have much range on the slow. I'd suggest trying to either max out the damage of Laser Trap with Multistage Rocket instead of SCP or max out the utility of the ability with range or duration instead of C. Cigars.
    My typical approach is to use it more as a short-term area denial (particularly when pushing or against a turret) and more importantly for running interference when a skirmish breaks out. Slow also makes it useful for helping teammates make an escape.
    For me the difference is purely mathematical: why would I pay 155 solar for 26.67 base damage when I can pay 145 solar for 32 base damage and make it cover the dropped area more effectively to boot?
  • Plan B Rockets without reload speed is a recipe for wasted Solar, my friend. There's an upgrade specific for when you don't take Reload Speed, and that's Head in a Jar. If you want to run a more consistent DPS build take Head in a Jar, if you want universally good utility I'd suggest Medal Booster Pack along with Card with a Kiss, turning Charged Salvo into more of a backup tool.
    I play Rocket to drop my burst and GTFO most of the time; because of his rather awful movement speed and general squishiness I find that I'm not often trying to rapidfire enemies unless they're pretty close to death and I don't want to/can't use Rocket Launch. I tend to dual-launch the loaded salvo and Rocket Launch together so that I can avoid an immediate reprisal, with Trap thrown down somewhere in the intervening distance if I'm worried about pursuit.
    I'll give LMRE a spin tonight and see if I prefer that to the KissCard.
  • Wraith Stone. :chucho: Take Med-i' it's better 95% of the time.
    I've honestly never felt compelled to take it. :lolstar:
  • You also don't really need Space Air on Rocket, though if you're taking Nuke Bug you will be lacking a reliable escape. I'd maybe try something other than Space Air, or at the very least considering Space Air later into the game after seeing how the enemy team plays around you.
    I generally find that, If I do pick up Space Air, it's towards the end of the game when there's a lot more map to traverse.
    BKM would be a very tempting alternative if I could confirm that it doesn't affect self-knockback.