Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: MrPOW's Raelynn guide
 Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:25 pm 

Mr.POW's Rae-guide:

Welcome to my first (released) guide! I'll star¨t off by explaining a few things about Raelynn and then show my build.

Raelynn's roles:

- DPS
- Long-range burst (Poke)
- Area Denial
(- Pushing power)

Raelynn's strengths:

- Long range burst
- Good horizontal mobility
- Timerift very powerful
- Versatile
- Full blaster damage on structures

Raelynn's weaknesses:

- Difficult to land escape mechanisms (timerift takes off the boots speed)
- Rather expensive
- One of the lowest speeds without boots

To be kept in mind when playing as Raelynn:

- Positioning is very important for getaways, Timerift placements and snipes
- Vertical mobility is not very good, keep close to bumpers to ease juking

-------------------------------------------------------

The build:
Here I will present to you the usual Rae-build which I go for. I start by listing the different upgrades I choose. After that I explain the order in which the upgrades are acquired and in the end I give general "play style"-strategies and other explanations.

Loadout:

The upgrades that are in bold are upgrades which depend on play style and could be exchanged. Upgrades which are written in italics are alternative upgrades which should be used together. Underlined upgrades are my "bread and butter" upgrades which I usually never take out.

Timerift: Nuclear Warhead, Retro Spaceship, 1.21 Gigawatt Battery (Higgs Grenade / HC-Bomb)

Snipe: Pump Rifle, Flashy Glasses, Iron Rifle (Casettedeck Magazine / Laserpointer)

Cuddles: Skull Bracelet, Joe Doll (Lucky Cat Air Freshener), Receding Ponytail

Utility: Power Pills Light (Baby Kuri Mammoth / Solar Tree), Med-i'-Can, Denny's Boots

Nautsbuilder:

Power Pills Light are bought when they're "needed".

Here's the build in the "Nauts-builder". Kudos to the guys who made it!

Play style:
Try to stay safe from enemy brawlers and initiators and simply try to snipe the droid waves to get Solar or harass enemy 'nauts to scare them off the lane. I use rift as a siege tool when pushing (I don't use droid on rift) or defensive tool when the own turret is under attack.

Alternative build with HC-Bomb:
After snipe upgrades you will only get maximum HC-bomb and then concentrate on the damage upgrades on blaster. You can take Nuclear Warhead though to make up for the fact you can't shoot droids to finish them off after sniping them. As always, keep an HC-charge by throwing out a rift and try to fire off both shots before using rift again for a total of 2 triple-damage shots.

Another build I've been running lately:

Yes, I don't usually take Solar items with it. Keep up your farm by getting creeps and collecting solar around the map. With this build, I concentrate less on sniping constantly but just using it to finish off enemies. Feel free to take any 3rd upgrade on snipe, but you'll be able to decently brawl around lvl 10 with a decent auto attack and a timerift.

Raelynns friends:

Skolldir can provide safety for snipes and bring enemies into bad situations by stun-locking them in timerifts.

Yuri can stack slows with you and speed up Cuddles' DPS.

Derpl provides safety for snipes and snare-traps last forever when enemies are in a timerift.

Clunk also provides safety but adds a lot a damage as well with his bite-splode combo. Easy to finish off people with snipes after they took a lot of damage like that.

Genji can easily set up a timerift-placement and either get the enemy stuck after getting out (place timerift at the end of cocoon) or just take out an enemy for a long time (timerift as soon as cocooned).

Raelynns foes:

Froggy G is a constant threat, being able to dash-'nado you for loads of damage. Try to keep distance. Iron Rifle blocks his stun, giving you time to place a rift to stop his combo. His health also doesn't like sustained DPS, with which you can hit him using your blaster. Cuddles has much more range compared to his fishgun, use that to your advantage!

Raelynn can give trouble by counter-sniping. Iron Rifle gives you an advantage when snipe-duelling. Beware of starting a snipe close to enemy Raelynn, timerifts will devastate you. Fights will be rather straight forward. Snipe from safe distances, otherwise just use blaster. Trap her in your rift if she snipes or place it such that she falls into it and keep her in by bodyblocking.

Leon can and will give you a lot of trouble if he knows what he is doing. Especially watch out for electrifiers. Keep a timerift and try to run after getting him decently stuck. With enough blaster-damage, you can take him on though. Keep jumping to evade his slashes, shoot him up and juke him around your rift.

Lonestar can be quite the pain to take out. This is especially the case early on when they get missile and mites at the same time. You will generally want to keep horizontal distance, because his vertical mobility obviously surpasses Raelynn's. If you can evade his missiles, you will often have the better DPS because Lonestars tend not to upgrade their bullets much these days. Just make sure he can't get close enough to hit all of hit dynamites. A tip for when you're sniping him: Try not to snipe immediately but to wait until he uses one of his jumps, just so he can't mess up your prediction as easily.

Skolldir will pin you down with stun-punches if he gets a throw on you. Until late-game, your timerift won't be good enough to help yourself out, so stay safe. The CC-immunity snipe prevents you from being thrown as well. Even if he still gets his oily boost, you at least won't be punched at the enemies side. The blaster-range isn't high enough to be out of the 3rd hits with range upgrade. Due to this, you got to keep your distance or shoot him from above or below.

General tips / MrPOW's database:

- Iron Rifle stops cocoons from interrupting an already started snipe. Snipe cannot be aimed but triggered. Snipe is fired from "feet", keep on glass platform so shot doesn't get stopped instantly.

- Iron Rifle shield blocks 30 damage. The source of it does not matter, it just has to be up. This applies also to DoT. Low on HP, all your remaining HP being light red but you're safe behind the turret? Start up a snipe and block some of the DoT. It might just save your life.

- Keep in mind Iron Rifle blocks bumper-knockback. Start snipe after using the bumper to make jump-snipes OR start it before to drop through (useful on Aiguillon)

- Bodyblock is your friend when an enemy is in a timerift.

Things take x times longer in timerift:

Code:
Retro Spaceship stages:  (0/2)    (1/2)    (2/2)
Time multiplier:          3      3.3       4

Applies to any status effects like Snare, Stun and even cocoon.

Damage dealt by timerifts:

Code:
Nuclear Warhead stages:     (0/2)    (1/2)    (2/2)
DPS:                          5       17.5       30
Total damage w/o duration:    20       70       120
Total damage with duration:   30       105       180

DPS chart (bold represents "best" in that category):

Option 1: Damage1 + Damage2 + Damage to 'nauts (1105 Solar)
--> 32.5 DPS on droids (13 per shot) / 42.5 DPS on 'nauts (17 per shot)
HC-Bomb => 39 dmg on droids / 51 dmg on 'nauts

Option 2: Damage1 + Damage2 + Fire rate (1065 Solar)
--> 42.25 DPS on droids and 'nauts (13 per shot)
HC-Bomb => 39 dmg on both droids and 'nauts

Option 3: Damage1 + Damage to 'nauts + Fire rate (1050 Solar)
--> 32.5 DPS on droids (10 per shot) / 45.5 DPS on 'nauts (14 per shot)
HC-Bomb => 30 damage on droids / 42 damage on 'nauts

Q&A

Q: Why do you use duration over height?
A: Height can be very useful to catch jumpy people, but I still think that the rift needs to be a constant hinderance to the enemy. If I catch someone in a rift, I can bodyblock them inside for the full 6 seconds if it isn't someone like Vinnie or Froggy. Also, there is many places where the height isn't needed simply because there's a ceiling blocking movement anyway. This decision is a matter of taste though, I also go with height from time to time.

Q: What do you think about extra range on snipe as compared to shield? I feel that a lot of times the enemy nauts just get out of range.
A: I used to run the range upgrade before they buffed the base range from like 16 to 18. Since then, I land most snipes that I need to land. The range upgrade can still be good, it just makes me feel that I will waste snipes attempting to hit people off-screen (where they're mostly safe anyway as you cannot follow up with anything). Some say it's safer to snipe from higher distance, which might be true. I prefer to create my safety with the Iron Rifle.

Wow, now that was a nice session of writing everything down. Hope you guys like it!
If questions come up, I could collect them and add them in the guide (Q&A-style) so if you got any... ask ahead! :rae:

tourrettturan wrote:
1. Best places for rifts on each of the maps.
2. Against Frog: how early do you get iron rifle? around the time he could combo you out, I'd guess. Your BO says already on Level 11, but as always it depends methinks.
3. What are the situations where you spec into Cuddles/Rift first? (noobish question, just wanna hear your thoughts or experiences)
4. Your favorite trickshot or most epic snipe ever? Tell us a story Uncle Pow.

1. The best places for rifts... one of my favourite places is in Ribbit, at the bottom hiding area (not the bigger bush). It's very narrow and people will drop through the platform, so if you wait there and place a rift as they drop... you will surely catch them in it. Same goes for Aguillon, on the hiding area in front of the bottom tier 1 turrets.

2. I generally like having decent dmg and then being able to surely land it. Around level 11, Cocos and Raes will have strong damage from LB and snipe that you can block with your snipe. It's also useful against Skolldir throws, Leon tongues, can free you from Swiggins anchor and generally blocks and incoming damage until its used up. So many ways to interrupt snipes are shut down by it.

3. I like going into the +3dmg on Cuddles rather early, around lvl 8-11. This gives a lot of brawling potential, especially if you go with timerift/survivability/more auto-attack afterwards.

http://en.twitch.tv/mrp0w/c/2196053 (Double-kill on Froggy and Clunk in the air on Sorona)
http://en.twitch.tv/mrp0w/c/2162564 (Randomly kill an invisible Leon in the air)
http://en.twitch.tv/mrp0w/c/2442928 (Kill a froggy while smoothly moving the mouse in the opposite direction he moves.)
The last one might make you think of "lag", but I actually pressed the snipe right when I was aiming at him. The snipe hit-box seems to only hit on 1 frame, but the animation stays on your cursor for a bit after you click. This screenshot shows it pretty well.
http://imageshack.us/a/img838/5111/uvh.png
http://en.twitch.tv/mrp0w/c/3429850 (Bonus clip for the lols :leoneyes:)

Updates:
- 28.12.2013:
Rewrote/Corrected parts of my guide to suit current patch. Removed "Solar per snipe damage upgrade"-part, as flashy glasses solar gain is now static. Answered a bunch of tourrettturans questions. Sorry for taking ages to actually update/answer stuff :ayla:

- 18.2.2014:
Changed up the DPS and total numbers of the timerift dmg to match it with the current patch.

- 25.2.2014:
Shame on me for not noticing the changed HC-Bomb numbers! Updated them ^^

- 27.2.2014:
Replaced Power Pills Turbo with Power Pills Light.

Joost calamitously wrote:
-Fixed that Time Rift got stuck in the ceiling (...)
And thus, my beloved ceiling rifts were banned.

Last edited by MrPOW on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:01 am, edited 18 times in total.

Post subject: Re: MrPOW's Raelynn guide
 Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:16 pm 

Nice guide, but I already knew your build from playing you. You showed me that duration on timerift can be used way better than height thanks to bodyblocking (so now I run that too the few times I play rae). :)

Also interesting to see that 2/3 stages of pump rifle gives the same amount of solar from flashy glasses as 3/3 stages. That will definitely make me stop rushing the 3rd stage whenever I use flashy glasses.

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:52 pm 

Not really a guide, more of a build order and facts/suggestions to know as a Rae.

Still, that being said, this is quite a good "guide". I suggest that you add more teamwork & vs scenarios, and some more emphasis on Play Style strategies.

anything mikal has ever said is automatically funny and i would recommend avoiding that garbage *

I've officially quit endorsing Ronimo due to how Machiel handled a certain scenario involving user harassment.

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:55 pm 

I used to run boots regen and extra hp too.
However 450 solar is way too much for the hp you get.

I switched power pills for piggy bank and never looked back.
They early game is amazing, sure my late game suffers but my playstyle allows
me to sit back and snipe, use boots to escape, use timerift to block off hallways so I can escape (I use height)

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:34 am 

MrPOW Raelynn guide?

If this makes even a few people pick up Raelynn and be half as good as you, then... damn. As if solo-queuing isn't hard enough already :lol:

Good thing matches tend to end quick with good players. Full damage Cuddles (or even full DPS) + HC-Bomb = 1v1 monster. Add on fully upgraded snipe and rift (though not very useful for cutting people off without damage/slow/height), and you have a very scary end-game to go up against.

Though considering the low amount of Raelynns on the leaderboards, maybe she has to work harder for that IMBA end-game than I give her credit for. I don't play her much, so I'm not one to say. Maybe she's just another 'naut that requires too much effort compared to the flavors of the month.

Sam! wrote:
Went 13/1 solo today against a league 1 thornfish froggy no less, almost all kills down to time rifts. Learn how to use them people!

Plz no

Pls no Raes buenas

PLS

Last edited by minic78 on Sat May 04, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:07 am 

I find height on rift to be better than duration, namely because time rift is only truly monstrous when fully maxxed out, and when someone is snagged inside it, it's a surefire death. Duration can be easily platformed over while height can catch Vinnie (a naut who is particularly dangerous to Raelynn) and provide an impassable wall until the rift is over.

I think Raelynn is a very skill-reliant character in that her snipes can be tricky to land in situations you need them most, and knowing when and how exactly to deploy your rifts to get the kills. I think Time Rift really is the most devastating ability in the game when maxxed out, it achieves so much and can often win games by itself. If there's anything people need to learn, it's how to use the rifts -- I see too many Raelynns just "throwing it out there" while it sits there doing nothing. One of the even more awesome things about rift is how it's throwable -- you can force it onto the enemies' area of the map and in turn force them to move and give up space.

Went 13/1 solo today against a league 1 thornfish froggy no less, almost all kills down to time rifts. Learn how to use them people!

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:28 am 

Sam! wrote:
I find height on rift to be better than duration, namely because time rift is only truly monstrous when fully maxxed out, and when someone is snagged inside it, it's a surefire death. Duration can be easily platformed over while height can catch Vinnie (a naut who is particularly dangerous to Raelynn) and provide an impassable wall until the rift is over.

I think Raelynn is a very skill-reliant character in that her snipes can be tricky to land in situations you need them most, and knowing when and how exactly to deploy your rifts to get the kills. I think Time Rift really is the most devastating ability in the game when maxxed out, it achieves so much and can often win games by itself. If there's anything people need to learn, it's how to use the rifts -- I see too many Raelynns just "throwing it out there" while it sits there doing nothing. One of the even more awesome things about rift is how it's throwable -- you can force it onto the enemies' area of the map and in turn force them to move and give up space.

Time Rift rushes are extremely underrated.
It's basically a portable Yuri, that can spawn Sawblades.

anything mikal has ever said is automatically funny and i would recommend avoiding that garbage *

I've officially quit endorsing Ronimo due to how Machiel handled a certain scenario involving user harassment.

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:45 am 

I play rae a lot too, and for me she's the second most fun 'naut to play (first is Coco :mrgreen: ). anyway, while I can do relatively good, I still didn't found an optimal build for her. For now I've been using:

Rift:
HC Bomb + Slow + Droid

Snipe:
Damage + FG + Range

Cuddles:
Damage for 'nauts + Speed + Ponytail

Utility:
Pills + Boots + Solar Tree

Still, after reading this topic I'll change Damage for 'nauts to basic damage and I've been thinking on changing droid for damage rift. Yeah, it's a freaking expensive build xD

For start, I get Snipe + FG, collect 210 solar and get boots + solar tree, then start building on pump rifle and get one stage of range. After that I start building on health and her blaster damages, so I can get HC bomb and deal very high burst damage. At this point normally the game in ended, so I don't have a specified order for the others upgrades.

-> I pick solar tree instead of PB because when I got PB I just ended with 120 free solar that wasn't really helping me much, which would be better if they were invested over time, like Solar Tree :P

-> I know med-i-can is more worth than pills in the cost vs benefit relation, but pills just fits better her playstyle for me, especially when I've HC bomb charged and need to get closer and she can afford poke's and (especially) burst. Still, I hope Pills price gets buffed >.>

I still have no idea in how to use the rift decently, it just feels useless for me (but that's because I don't know how to use it lol). It seems pretty powerful though, since I've fought against players that know how to use and is pretty challenging :P

Also, with 1.18 I won't need to rush boots, thank god!

Tired talking about balancing, so good news for you guys! No more wall of texts coming from me ;p

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:00 am 
Adminaut

MikalMirkas wrote:
that can spawn Sawblades.

NEVER underestimate the dome.

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:55 am 

Nice guide. Btw maybe you want to put in your twitch video.
http://www.twitch.tv/mrp0w/c/2191822

MrPOW wrote:
Mr.POW's Rae-guide:
- Iron Rifle enables you to keep sniping while cocooned. Snipe cannot be aimed but triggered. Snipe is fired from "feet", keep on glass platform so shot doesn't get stopped instantly.

I don't understand this part, could you elaborate?

Also, what do you think about extra range on snipe as compared to shield. I feel that a lot of times the enemy nauts just get out of range.

My YouTube gameplay
http://tinyurl.com/nss6dd9

Just the YouTube Beginner Guides
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q195aIf ... wil0hSJ0IO

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next