Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Penny's midair AA
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:44 am 

Hi!
I know that "The game is deadâ„¢", so as this forum, but still :D

I'm having troubles landing AA with Penny while in midair or into tense 4-6 player teamfights. Claw attack works just fine when I stand on the ground with the enemy, but this can happen only with bots. So I wander is it just me being so bad doing smthn wrong or it's a lag issue? In theory I do it right, I guess. Seperate clicks and stuff, and on the screen (and replays) I must be landing a hit, but I don't.
This is really a problem because a Good Penny is an aggressive Penny (the only fun playstyle) and I am afraid to go in deep with pounce+bodyblock thinking I might not be able to get those charges to finish enemy off/pounce away if screwed up.

Gun build works just fine, but playing as CCer support is not always an option. Especially when you don't have any CC 'nauts in your team.

*tech info: I'm a noob (200+hrs), :party: main I guess, stuck in L3 about 4500 but I don't care going higher/lower, always soloQ because I have no friends :lol:

Post subject: Re: Penny's midair AA
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:36 pm 

Pretty much all melee aas in the game have a slight delay between when you click (when the animation starts) and when it hits (when it does the damage). The hit detection happens at the end of the delay.

On the ground this is hardly noticeable since it's very difficult for something to get out of aa range during this delay. In the air however it's a different story since targets can be moving vertically in opposite directions to your vertical movement so it becomes harder to time.
One way to practice could be to try hitting humming bird droids with your melee attack while jumping.

Hope this helps :)

Check out my streams: twitch.tv/the_eddster27
Make sure you follow the MS Paint off!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:05 pm 

eddster27 wrote:
One way to practice could be to try hitting humming bird droids with your melee attack while jumping.

This was never a problem, works just as it should.

I've remembered one more thing thought. With Nibbs I land almost every AA, no matter what, even if the enemy seems to be out of range sometimes. Is Nibbs's AA just more ranged? Or it is because of a shorter delay?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:12 pm 

ScR wrote:
eddster27 wrote:

This was never a problem, works just as it should.

I've remembered one more thing thought. With Nibbs I land almost every AA, no matter what, even if the enemy seems to be out of range sometimes. Is Nibbs's AA just more ranged? Or it is because of a shorter delay?

delays vary for each naut e.g. Leon has a 0.1s delay, Ksenia has a 0.16s delay, Swiggs has a 0.2s delay etc. I'm not actually sure what delay Penny has but it's probably slightly longer than Leon's maybe (this is purely my guess)

Ksenia's was increased due to the clown fiesta aa cancelling caused. Here's a year and a half old thread of me complaining about this exact problem but on Ksenia https://www.awesomenauts.com/forum/view ... hp?t=46583

Check out my streams: twitch.tv/the_eddster27
Make sure you follow the MS Paint off!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:45 am 

Thanks, this actually helped.
The issue was delay+hitbox. When the ping is fine, I can hit everything (when I'm not panicking = almost never) that is positioned slightly lower than myself. My mistake was that due to delay the dmg output occured when the enemy was already high enough where Penny deals no dmg (about on her head level and higher).

This won't change anything though, because you need a team to make the whole thing work. In soloq you're either being carried by the team (so hard they don't need your help at all) or can't carry because you're bad:P