Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Universal Charger replacement idea
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:04 pm 

Our favorite tin can is a thrilling beast on the field, however, in some cases he can feel obnoxious to fight against.

Universal Charger, as most of you know, is the upgrade that currently reduces Explode's wind-up time by 0.5s (-33%).

Reducing a skill's wind-up is a very bad idea. Especially when it is the hardest hitting ability in terms of raw burst in the game. The item favors higher latency Clunks and can make Clunk's counters feel even more hopeless. One bite and you're immobile for almost the entire explode animation and then poof, you're a goner.

Therefore, I want to present to you all a revolutionizing replacement idea:
- Universal charger, now grants a 40% speed bonus for 2.5s after using Explode

After Clunk's massive explosion, he visually appears charged with yellow lightning bolts for the duration of the speed bonus. This allows Clunk to either A - disengage a risky situation, or B - continue to chase aggressively.

Due to Clunk being the slowest character in the game, the speed buff needs to be significant in order to have an impact. With +40% speed he reaches 9.8, and with boots, 10.78. The latter speed value is slightly lower than boot-less Coco with one stage of Silver Coating on blaze, 10.21. Clunk also has more than twice as slow acceleration.

The upgrade's name surprisingly fits its purpose, Universal Charger! Revolutionary stuff right here.

#MakeClunkGreatAgain

Post subject: Re: Universal Charger replacement idea
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:19 pm 

Rip slow squishies :chew:
Lonestar is still twice faster and goes like :lolstar:

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:19 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
SequenceBreaker wrote:
One bite and you're immobile for almost the entire explode animation and then poof, you're a goner.

This is not an issue with Explode.

Also, don't balance around latency. It never, ever works.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:06 pm 

Can we stop trying to turn Clunk into a racecar

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:30 pm 

How about a knockback pulse?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:33 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
I know it's a joke, but a knockback pulse at the end of Explode could at least serve some double-edged utility.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:11 am 

It wasn't a joke 8-)

Could be an interesting thing to add some more dimension/teamplay to dive bombs. And also give him the ability to have a bit of space after an explode.

Might be op who knows. Nice thing about the idea is that it already exists in the engine so ronimo could throw it into the beta next week if they wanted to :glasses:

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:59 am 

robochase6000 wrote:
...so ronimo could throw it into the beta next week if they wanted to :glasses:

:lolstar: Just laughing over here

On topic though: Universal Charger is in a difficult spot because explode as an ability is pure hardcounter based. Playing VS the infamous snaresplode combo is often a game of chess where you have to decide who needs to sacrifice himself first to win a teamfight.

If ur lucky u have a bunch of nauts with shields or cc so you can screw explode over. UC is a much needed upgrade for clunk to deal explode damage against these bad matchups, but at the same time some nauts can never fight clunk without their team because UC will always overpower then.

How to fix this? I don't know since hardcounters is a part of nauts. This is the depth you get from any naut with low APM that needs to be relevant.

The best example of this is Snork VS Clunk that completely counter each other, entirely depending on if explode is saved for Snork or not.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:09 pm 

My reasoning for removing UC was not due to latency (it was merely just a side-note), but how it completely nullifies counter-play of the skill when 'Nauts that can't deal with Clunk gets caught (Rocco, Swiggins, Ayla, Yoolip, Snork, Leon, and every other 'Naut without kb or escape). The main way to dodge Explode is to vertically escape it's radius, but with only .2s of time this is impossible. It favors the match-ups Clunk excels with even further.

Giving a speed-up to the slowest character in the game will obviously be controversial, but I think I'm not convinced it's not worth a try. The idea behind it is to give Clunk more horizontal maneuverability for a brief period after burning his main damaging skill. He will still be easy to juke vertically and if speed-up would be that big a problem then we'd have to nerf Ix's speed-up on bond. It will also be a lot of fun, as long as it is a balanced value.

I'm still open for other suggestions of course, but I just wanted to clarify a little that knee-jerk reactions could sometimes hinder the game's creative development. That obviously doesn't mean that I assume that you made that type of reaction, but just in general, I've seen a lot of questioning in the forums about any type of change, and quite a bit of bias accusations (which happens in every balance scenario where players are involved).

I don't want to discredit any feedback though, I'm really happy for the comments so far!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:04 am 

eh while i think the argument to never balance around latency is coming from a good place, it's just not realistic. literally the entire game is built & designed around latency. i'd bet that ronimo made awesomenauts with fairly low latency in mind, otherwise we'd probably be playing a slower paced game.

now that the player counts are getting lower, the connection quality of matches is really starting to show imo. i don't think it's unreasonable to reassess some mechanics that can feel abusive in laggy matches. especially as they become more prevalent.

not really arguing about Universal Charger here. i just wouldn't be dismissive about giving these types of scenarios a second look.