Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Sentry's Silence Problem
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:28 pm 

Sentry's Teleport Beacon upgrade "Ringtones for the deaf" is kinda too strong. An area silence effect that lasts 1.5 seconds is kinda op when he can drop onto you from above, shoot a black hole, and then teleport on top of you silencing your team so you can't even use some of your defensive abilities it a little too strong. Maybe change the upgrade to a blindness effect or a slow effect. Please leave any other ideas in the comments below!

Post subject: Re: Sentry's Silence Problem
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:30 pm 

The problem with sentry was, is, and will be the duration of blackhole and how easy it is for his teammates to capitalize on it. Gravity pull factors into this a lot too of course

Radical rework: black hole is now 2x bigger. It has zero gravity pull at base but can be upgraded to have a moderate amount of pull. Say the upgrade does less than whatever the pull was before it was most recently changed by our expert panel. It's just a big ass circle you have to get out of and it can be upgraded to have slight pull

Also the gravity pull should affect allies too lol

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:54 pm 

I'd rather retain its use as a CC skill than turn it into a plain old damage one, given the two options. :shrug:

Big-ass circle with a weaker pull might be cool. Maybe even an amount of pull determined by how much damage the shield takes. There are lots of things more interesting than damage, especially since Sentry is meant to be a tactical character and not a damage, damage, damage monster like he is now. Bigger area/weaker pull could still snare enemies but without necessarily putting a whole team into overlapping hitboxes.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:02 am 

We're still complaining about silence beacon?

How about you kill the minespam build entirely and you gut his shoving potential so he doesn't stall his way to victory instead of whining of something not significantly problematic in the slightest

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:09 pm 

Mr Nutz jr wrote:

How about you kill the minespam build entirely and you gut his shoving potential so he doesn't stall his way to victory instead of whining of something not significantly problematic in the slightest

Actually, Sentry's silence problem is extremely problematic. Deadlift can't usually activate their shield fast enough before they get stunned since they get stunned as soon as sentry black hole tps on top of you. Also, some Awesomenauts that have defensive abilities can't even use them because of the area silence.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:16 pm 

Lodada wrote:
Mr Nutz jr wrote:

Actually, Sentry's silence problem is extremely problematic. Deadlift can't usually activate their shield fast enough before they get stunned since they get stunned as soon as sentry black hole tps on top of you. Also, some Awesomenauts that have defensive abilities can't even use them because of the area silence.

it's not problematic in the slightest, if you get hit by silence beacon, you should be punished by it.
I'm getting sick of all this circlejerk about a part of a char that's not problematic and can be played around (and in the case of DL EVEN MORE because DL keeps sentry in check) instead of a part of a char that's literally brainless and providing way too much benefits for little player input.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:43 pm 

The tactic sound scary on paper, but the ammount of people who can actually pull it off without getting hit by anyones AA/skills must be really low? I mean, if someone can do that constantly without getting punished, that someone probably is so good that he would get his games won with any naut anyway... Or is this actually a common combo any Sentry can pull out easily?!?

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:12 pm 

It's not that difficult since the silence area of effect is pretty large.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:43 pm 

Have you tried not being in melee range of Sentry if you have not used your abilities yet?

Have you also tried hitting the phone booth on wheels when you happen to be in melee range?

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:54 pm 

IsoKoala wrote:
The tactic sound scary on paper, but the ammount of people who can actually pull it off without getting hit by anyones AA/skills must be really low? I mean, if someone can do that constantly without getting punished, that someone probably is so good that he would get his games won with any naut anyway... Or is this actually a common combo any Sentry can pull out easily?!?

i mean it's really just a matter of falling on someone and double tapping quickly...it's not exactly godlike tech, and it's very easy to surprise people with. Melee characters don't have a good response to it. And in practice, a little bit of lag makes it pretty easy to pounce on people with it.

What always made silence on beacon annoying to me was more that he could park his beacon in a highly contested area and effectively shut it down forever. That behavior has been curbed quite a bit now that beacon has a life timer, though. I think the silence duration even took a hit last patch? So it's not particularly pressing to me.