Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Sentry's Silence Problem
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:36 pm 

You would normally die before the black hole even ends because you don't get any of your protective abilities.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:11 am 

I've never been able to land teleburst/silence reliably myself. That said, I never seem to be able to stop any enemy Sentry from doing it reliably every time.

The conclusion that I must draw from this is that I suck. :shrug:

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:50 am 

Sentry needs something that is hard to land but prevents black hole escape options to make matchups less one-sided.

To silence an enemy he needs to come into melee range and not be attacked in the last 2 seconds. Consider Sentry being huge and horizontally slow.

Its one of the more interesting things in the game dont remove it its fine

would be down to playtest

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:31 pm 

I've come back from the dead just to drag out my favorite bugbear:
The entire point of Teleport Beacon was originally to allow him to effectively be in two places at once.
And instead it looks like he got balanced around the fact that he could drop in and deal a bunch of burst in a large AoE instantly if he got the drop on you (or you're playing melee).

The long duration for silence makes sense in a context where you have to set the beacon and either evade enemy fire for long enough to activate it mid-battle or ambush people.
It makes no sense in the context of CC on a giant AoE faceburst ability.

Either the duration needs to be radically shortened or Sentry has to lose the ability to faceburst with Telebeacon.

I also quite like the idea of a much larger black hole with weaker gravity so that his signature ability doesn't get completely shut down by Rae, Max and Yuri.

IsoKoala wrote:
The tactic sound scary on paper, but the ammount of people who can actually pull it off without getting hit by anyones AA/skills must be really low? I mean, if someone can do that constantly without getting punished, that someone probably is so good that he would get his games won with any naut anyway... Or is this actually a common combo any Sentry can pull out easily?!?

The people that can do it consistently are usually the very high-ranking ones.
And other high-ranking players can generally prevent them from doing it.
It honestly seems more like a pubstomp tactic than anything, which just makes me hate it even more.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:33 am 

Quote:
It honestly seems more like a pubstomp tactic than anything, which just makes me hate it even more.

Then you need to get better, simple as that. If anything silence beacon is the least problematic part of sentry and it's mindblowing that's what we are discussing right now when there are better horses to care about.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:07 pm 

Mr Nutz jr wrote:
Then you need to get better, simple as that. If anything silence beacon is the least problematic part of sentry and it's mindblowing that's what we are discussing right now when there are better horses to care about.

I think you misunderstand me.

Ordinarily, the silence is fine - A lot of characters have abilities that hard-counter BHS, so pre-loading it, warping into a team-fight, silencing everyone and dropping the Black Hole should be a valid strategy, because the Sentry player has to be thinking several steps ahead for it to work.

The silence becomes a problem when you can instantly drop and then warp to the beacon, because at that point it becomes something Sentry can do on demand (albeit at a pretty obnoxious CD).

Instacasting both sides of the Teleport beacon is a problem.
It's a problem that isn't likely to show up when high-level players play other high-level players, or low-level players play other low-level players.
It shows up most frequently when high-level players play low-level players.
These players already by definition have a massive advantage, which makes teleburst (and by extension teleburst for silence) less a valid extension of Sentry's kit and more an exploit that needs to be corrected.

Just put a 2-second cooldown between droping a beacon and warping to it. Problem solved.

I'd also argue that the 15 second cooldown is no longer justified now that the beacons time out, but that's also contingent on teleburst no longer being a thing.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:34 pm 

Quote:
The silence becomes a problem when you can instantly drop and then warp to the beacon, because at that point it becomes something Sentry can do on demand

Clunk can do the same in an insta-gib fashion, should we nerf clunk because your map awareness is below average?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:34 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Telebursting is absolutely an unintended exploit and that's not even realistically debatable, but I'd be more in favour of properly integrating it into his kit than "fixing" it.

If we're going to balance Sentry's beacon around teleburst, make the interaction baseline and expand its abilities to be used for movement—as was intended.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:36 pm 

Except nobody is asking to fix teleburst besides the one with their brain turned off when scouting the map since it has been on the best balanced spot it has been for a long period of time.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:10 pm 

Camkitsune wrote:
The people that can do it consistently are usually the very high-ranking ones.
And other high-ranking players can generally prevent them from doing it.

Wow, so it's something you can deal with by using skill?! Teleport gives players the opportunity to outplay and counter it with smart play, while rewarding sentry for outplaying his opponents. We should nerf that, right? Anything that heightens skill levels just shouldn't exist in this game.

If you want to complain about pubstomp tactics I could fart 10 out that teleport can't even hold a candle to.