Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: What was the process of making Derpl?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:31 pm 

"Well guys, we need to make a tank."
"Sure."
"Let's give him the biggest single-ability burst in game."
"But tanks are supposed to take damage, not deal it! Well, but it will cost health and be pretty short range like Clunk, right?"
"No health cost, and it's ranged."
"Well, his AA will have to suck then, right?!"
"That will also be great. But don't worry, to use both those things he needs to be immobile."
"Phew, at least you will be able tu run away from hi..."
"And when he is mobile he can snare."
"WHAT THE ZORIAN?!"

Why does this character exist? He has too much hp to be killed easily, too much damage to not prioritize, too much CC to run away from. I get that mobility is pretty important in Awesomenauts, but not THAT level of important.

Zurry, The General
Doctor Koala
Death The Metal Master

Post subject: Re: What was the process of making Derpl?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:51 pm 

Derpl is a very predictable character. His nuke is not even the most damaging ability in the game and is the most telegraphed thing ever.
His kit actually makes a lot of sense, he's immobile, so he needs damage & health to stand his ground. He also needs a way to be able to deal the damage, because else people just keep their distance or walk away. Removing any of the things strong about him would make him garbage.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:30 pm 

It also needs to be considered that Derpl DOES lack something every other tank has, strong health sustain. You cannot, as Derpl, stand wherever you want with your power alone and expect to never die. It can be done with full tank build Clunk (if there are droids) and in some cases Sentry, but Derpl always requires an ally to cover his sustain problems past the usual medican. This actually helps to keep his ability to hold down lanes a bit more in line because it means no matter what he will eventually have to pick up and move because you can either wittle him down till he has to run away and probably die for free because he is mispositioned, or you can target whoever was healing him.

As for what the thought process was when making Derpl, simply put he was the 8th naut ever added to the game and part of the very first awesomenauts character release back on one of the first consolenauts patches back before the game was even on steam.Suffice to say Ronimo's character designs were less refined then (Froggy G had an auto attack that could basically do 300 damage in todays numbers). I think the only major idea they had in their head is that they wanted him to feel very different then every other character at the time and wanted to provide enough built in weaknesses to keep him in line, which I would argue was done successfully if not them having to balance him around a bug from that point onward.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:56 am 

Gameinsky wrote:
Derpl is a very predictable character. His nuke is not even the most damaging ability in the game and is the most telegraphed thing ever.
His kit actually makes a lot of sense, he's immobile, so he needs damage & health to stand his ground. He also needs a way to be able to deal the damage, because else people just keep their distance or walk away. Removing any of the things strong about him would make him garbage.

tl;dr of this thread: "I can't evade the attacks of the most immobile, predictable 'naut in the game. Also I don't buy Baby Kuri Mammoth."

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep:
:LeonWink: :ix: Naut
Not a :glasses: :table: :rae:

Mafia stats.