Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Tips & Tricks to Hosting a Tournament
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:39 am 

Hello! I know that I should probably be using this time more effectively right now (i.e. studying for finals) but I have the urge to share some tips and tricks to hosting a tournament. I believe that these are applicable to all tournaments hosted for Awesomenauts. This will probably not be all inclusive of everything that goes into running a tournament, but this should cover a lot of the areas that aren't necessarily covered in current attempts at hosting tournaments.

So, without further ado...

This is one of the most important factors to consider prior to hosting a tournament. Hosting tournaments take TIME. And lots of it! The bigger the tournament, the more time you will have to commit. Know this before you even submit your thread on these forums!

That is not to say that you cannot run a tournament unless you have hours upon hours of free time on your hands. However, it does require time management. Remember that the more complex your tournament is, the more time it will require (both from an administration side and upkeep side).

Sometimes words are not sufficient when dealing with resources, such as time. Let me give you some numbers to put this concept into perspective. For the Awesomenauts League with Bets: tryouts required 10 hours of preparation; Sunday updates required 6 hours of weekly upkeep; monitoring teams and refereeing matches required 2 hours per week; participating in the tournament required 1 hour of getting our butts kicked; and the #ALWB Weekend required 3 full days of behind-the-scenes work.

This isn't an attempt to scare people off from hosting a tournament, instead, a warning that you must be committed to spending time on operating it. Too many tournaments fall apart because the tournament host 'bit off more than he could chew'. Once again, time management skills are very, very important! As an aside, when hosting the #ALWB Season 1: I was going to school full-time, working part-time, and volunteering part-time. And still, I was able to host a successful tournament.

Another important factor to consider, prior to the tournament, is presentation. This is your selling point! You want to show people reading your thread/watching your video that you are willing to put your time into creating something amazing for them. Communicating your idea strictly through monotonous text will not win you any fans. In fact, people will be more likely to ignore your threads in the future.

Since forums are generally text-only, there are a number of ways you can spice up your thread. Take advantage of the BBCode. Including colours, bold text, underlines
    • lists, and
    different sizes of font.
      You can also be creative with indents.
                            Very creative with indents!
    Oh And... wrote:
    Let's not forget quotes...
    Code:
    Or code! Although, generally this is too difficult to read so it's best to forget about this.

Links are also valuable to prevent clutter in one post. Oohhh and images!!

Overall, the presentation of your idea is the focal point of selling it to others. This is not exclusive to hosting tournaments, this goes for anything on these forums. Just remember to use these tools appropriately; using them inappropriately can backfire on you.

Although the previous two concepts are not exclusive to hosting a tournament, this one is. This is a relatively new concept that I have tested but I believe that it is now a crucial part to hosting a successful tournament. In order to prevent (or reduce the likelihood of) 'no shows' and 'time wasters', there has to be a screening process.

A lot of the time teams (and individuals) will sign up for something and decide, before the tournament begins, that they no longer want to compete. Almost 100% of these instances, they will not contact you about their decision to withdraw. This can throw the entire tournament off course and create havoc.

What I have found is that implementing an initial screening process prior to the official start of the tournament is the best way to eliminate these issues. Requiring teams to play an exhibition match and submit their results under your rules is sufficient enough. They don't have to count towards anything either. They are simply just to prove that teams (and individuals) are committed to your tournament and are willing to play by the rules set out by you.

Establishing a ruleset for your tournament is the most important process to hosting a tournament. It should contain all of the rules that your tournament consists of. From the game host procedures all the way to the submitting process. It all needs to be covered somewhere.

Also, stick by your established ruleset! If you bend the rules for one person, you will be expected to bend the rules for everyone. However, keep in mind that there will probably be situations that come up that aren't covered in your ruleset. In these cases, you should use your best, unbiased judgement.

Deadlines. Put them in place and stick to them! If teams do not play their games in time, they NEED to be punished. Otherwise, they will continue to repeat their mistakes. It may be harsh, but if teams are not committed to following the deadlines put in place, there is no other option.

Surprisingly, some teams require a lot of punishment before they learn to follow deadlines. But they need to know that by not following deadlines they are not only causing you troubles but also the entire tournament, which includes all of the other teams.

For your tournament to be successful, in the eyes of others, it has to be relevant. Starting a tournament in January and not finishing until July because of delays will not yield favourable results. In the past, tournaments have been hurt (sometimes ruined) from having too many delays.

That is not to say that extending deadlines is not an option. Everything is dependent on the situation. However, extensions should not be in favour of a single team but instead the entirety of the tournament. There will most definitely be delays in your tournament (sometimes by only hours; other times by days). Your job is to minimize these delays to the best of your ability to ensure that your tournament runs smoothly and successfully!

Hosting a tournament is not easy. However, if you follow these concepts it will be a lot easier! By committing time, presenting your tournament effectively, and establishing a ruleset and strict deadlines, you will be several steps ahead of everyone else*. Keep in mind, you are not alone with your tournament. There are plenty of people willing and able to help you out! You just have to ask (:

Another thread you may want to check out for valuable information is the one by Ronimo Team Member Robin (So, you want to organize an event? Awesome! We can help!). This thread contains information about how Ronimo can help you with your tournament! Feel free to ask me for further advice or to answer general questions. All of my contact information is in my signature below.

Thank you for reading! And I hope to see more tournaments hosted in the future! Best of luck to you all!

*Results may vary. Side effects may include headaches, face palming, and general frustrations. However, the desired results include gaining pride from your work, growing the competitive scene, and general praises from the community.

Post subject: Re: Tips & Tricks to Hosting a Tournament
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:11 am 

I really want this to be stickied :thumb:

tourrettturan wrote:
Ask Jakob, he knows how to beat everything.

Standard SoloQ

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:30 pm 

Quite well put together, I'd like to add in a few thing things of my experience though:

Leave sufficient time to teams to follow the deadline.
1-2 weeks it more than enough to play a set of 4 matches.
Don't make the deadline too long either or everyone will lose interest.

It's good to have referees. if you host a big tourney one person can't simply control the whole thing.
It's important that you find people that people trust and that are as little biased as possible towards the tourney hoster.
This is even more important when you decide to enter your own tournament. I would say you should always have someone else decide on the matches the hoster's team take place in.

Depending on the target audience it is a good idea to change the way the matches are played.
If you intend your tournament for people of similar skill levels then a double elimination is satisfactory.
However if the skill difference is huge, then consider having a group phase.
This allows the lesser experienced/skillfull teams to still stand a chance of winning some matches and having fun whilst keeping the brackets intact for 'the best'.

Banning is not mandatory for a tournament but helps spice things up. Depending on the banning rules, the tournament will reward teams that play a bigger pool of characters well instead of just a single teamcomp.

That's all I can think of for now.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:09 pm 

Great post.

I can give a little bit of my experience of hosting Awesomefest. The main problem that I ran into is time. You will spend a lot of time during the week helping teams get their * together and having to hold hands to get all of the matches completed on time. It takes a lot of prodding and you have to have a "no *" policy. Basically, if a team is late on their deadline, they are disqualified, and that is that. Catering to every team's need will cause delays and viewers will lose interest.

Another big factor is consistency. I made it a goal to stream each round every Sunday, and I was able to meet that goal, but it takes about 5 or 6 hours of streaming and casting if you are lone-wolfing. It is very tiring and you better have a few Red Bulls ready.

Also, refrain from hosting a tournament if you do not have the power to be able to stream it in a decent quality. If your computer is not up to par, I wouldn't rely on others being able to stream it for you, as you will quickly find that they may not have as much time on their hands as you, and if they can't stream for you, you are all out of luck.

Be able to adapt to community response. Everyone has great ideas and they sure love to shove them in your face, but you cannot be stubborn about your ruleset. There is always room for improvement, and somebody else may recognize where that improvement may lie.

Lastly, do it with good intentions. Doing it for e-fame is never a good foundation to build your tournament on, as nobody likes a narcissist. If you really want to see the game grow and want to give something to the community, that is a great start.

#1 yuri, but you already knew that

Host of Awesomefest, Awesomefest 2, and Awesomefest 3
Casted for ALWB2
Youtube Channel

Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:25 pm 

These tips which you gave are sufficiently incredible to follow.....awesome work!! Love'it. I'm grateful the data you given and this going to be great. :party: