Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: TUTORIAL - Using replay as Spectator Mode
 Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:28 am 

c l e v e r :clap:

♥    :party:    ♥    :facepalm:    ♥   :ksenia: ♥    :shady:    ♥    :yoolip:    ♥    :chucho:    ♥

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:20 pm 

Joost wrote:
r0estir0bbe wrote:
And my friends didn't believe me that this was surely possible. For casters (e.g. Team Composition Tournament), this is great. But for spectating current matches, I don't like it. I don't know how much information you gain from having full map vision with ~15-20s delay, but it surely matters...

The final online spectator system will probably have a 30s delay, that should be enough to keep problems from happening. Maybe there is some way to force dropbox (or some other similar tool) to add a delay as well?

If the game itself would delay writing files to disk for maybe 10s ... ? That could be enough already, I'd think.

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:29 pm 

Well, at least there is a delay, even though it's close to real-time. :shrug:
Still, this very well may speed up the process of creating the Spectator Mode I reckon. :chew:

Oh, and congrats on the sticky. (yay, I got my thread stickied as well.)

hahahahaha
you're serious aren't you
god dammit

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:49 pm 

r0estir0bbe wrote:
Joost wrote:
r0estir0bbe wrote:
And my friends didn't believe me that this was surely possible. For casters (e.g. Team Composition Tournament), this is great. But for spectating current matches, I don't like it. I don't know how much information you gain from having full map vision with ~15-20s delay, but it surely matters...

The final online spectator system will probably have a 30s delay, that should be enough to keep problems from happening. Maybe there is some way to force dropbox (or some other similar tool) to add a delay as well?

If the game itself would delay writing files to disk for maybe 10s ... ? That could be enough already, I'd think.

I think this should be implemented for sure. It took me under 10 seconds to figure out a way to seriously abuse this.
I will not post it here for obvious reasons though

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:12 pm 

Well, of course this can be abused, but wheres the fun and fair play?

The main use of this is for me will be to use in our next championship here in Brazil.

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:43 pm 

Spotik wrote:
Well, of course this can be abused, but wheres the fun and fair play?

The main use of this is for me will be to use in our next championship here in Brazil.

Oh of course, I'm definitely not saying to remove it.
It's just that this is the internet and people will abuse things if they can...

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:33 pm 

At last, for this time, the "Hu3BR force" gives something really useful to some game community. :D

Just a joke.

Spotik and AchMusso, congrats for you, bros from LBA (or ABL: Awesomenauts Brazilian League). See you at the brazialian brawl. hehe

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:33 pm 

I post here to give all the coming casters some help to set up the Dropbox syncing so that it works. The Dropbox app is really limited in what it can do, so we'll use another tool to create the directory junction. You can use any tool to do that, I use symlinker because it has a nice GUI.
First, rename your original "Replay" folder in the Awesomenauts\Data folder as you want to preserve all your existing replays. Then either create a new folder in your Dropbox or just locate the name of the folder where the replays are going to get synced in the Dropbox itself.
With this, open up symlinker and set it up like in the picture:

This means:
  • Select "folder symbolic link" for the type
  • Select the "Awesomenauts\Data" folder of your installation (notice: not the Replays folder but only the Data folder)
  • Name the link "Replays" (to create the link "Awesomenauts\Data\Replays")
  • For the destination, select the target folder in your Dropbox, e.g. "Stream Replay Team1 vs. Team2"
  • Select for the type "directory junction"

Then hit "Create Link..." and you're done & ready to go. Now, you've got a directory junction (special kind of Windows directory symlink) pointing from Awesomenauts\Data\Replays to the Dropbox folder, meaning that Awesomenauts looks directly into the Dropbox folder.

To verify if you set up the links correctly, here's an image on how it should look like:
On the right is the Awesomenauts folder. Notice that the Replays folder has some funny little special link icon. Then, when opening that folder, you get the exact same contents as the target sync folder on the left - in our case "Live Replay HDTV vs. PhD" inside the Dropbox folder.

Edit: Maybe I'll do a video or something.

Post Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:29 pm 

Ingenious.
However, at least for adsl lines the additional upload will wreak additional havoc to less than stable p2p connections (i.e. all of them), which is about the last thing I need from my opponents to be honest!

Post Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:14 pm 

sydneyfife wrote:
Ingenious.
However, at least for adsl lines the additional upload will wreak additional havoc to less than stable p2p connections (i.e. all of them), which is about the last thing I need from my opponents to be honest!

It's up for the person 'streaming' the match to determine if his internet connection can handle it.
Same as with normal video streaming to twitch or similar, I don't see how this makes a difference (in fact, this is less impact to your connection probably)