Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: So, you want to organize an event? Awesome! We can help!
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:33 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Heya! Over the last couple of months we’ve seen many members of the Awesomenauts community organize really cool events, tournaments, and competitions. These events help the Awesomenauts community grow, and we’re really excited about them.

If you’re thinking about organizing an event yourself I want you to know that we’re willing to help you where we can. If you’re one of the people that has already been working on an event in the Awesomenauts community, then this post also applies to you! Get it touch, and let’s talk about making stuff even cooler and more awesome!

Please read through this post to understand what we can do for you and your event, and a number of concerns we’d like you to take into account when creating one!

So you have a cool idea? Awesome! Let’s do this! But first, take this into account:
Quote:
    Organizing something will probably take more time than you expect it to.

You probably won’t be able to do everything alone. Do you have some friends who’ve got your back?

You will need a way to manage signups and keep track of the progress of your event. Will you use Challonge, a Google Spreadsheet, or your own solution? Everything is fine with us, as long as you’ve thought it through and you are sure it works!

Got all of that covered? Neato! Let’s get in touch! Send me an email at robin@ronimo-games.com, and make sure to include the following info requested below. Before you start typing everything up though, please take the following advice that we’ve heard from other event-organizers to heart:

Quote:
    Keep it simple. Seriously. This is rule number one. Just keep it simple.

Make sure you give players enough time to do stuff. Matches will probably never start on time and generally last longer than you expect them to. Don’t cram everything into a single day, especially if players are all from different time zones. If your schedule is ruined when a team runs an hour late, you probably want to spread things out a little more.

Give the community something to be excited about! Watching the finals live on a stream is super super cool, especially if you have cool people doing commentary!

Please send us the following info:
Quote:
    Your real name. You do have a name, don’t you?

The name of your event. Your event does have name, right?

A short description of your event. What is the event going to be about? Is it a tournament? A fun get-together? A 12-hour mininauts tournament? King of the Hill Team Deathmatch? Is it going to be a thing for pro-players only, is it invitational, or is it aimed at casual players, open to the entire community, or is it somewhere inbetween?

A timeframe. When will it run, for how long, and how many people / teams are you looking to involve?

Sign-ups. How will people sign up? Are there any restrictions on who can sign up? Do people need a full team, can they sign up individually? Stuff like that.

Entertainment! Are you going to be streaming your event or will you be using our replay system for a super polished youtube series? We would really like your answer to this question to be a resounding ‘Yes, of course!’ If you do, be sure to include a link to either a Youtube playlist or the event’s twitch account so that we know where to send those interested in checking it out!

Your friends. Who is working with you on this event? Do you have someone who is able to stream the games and provide commentary? Answering these questions will allow us to either find new casting talent ourselves or help you with your lack thereof!

Tools. Are you using any tools that will help you run this? We’d love to gather as many community-built tools as possible to help all event organizers have all the help they can get. If you wrote your very own Draft Picker Ultrasupertool 2000™ and wouldn’t mind sharing it with other members from the community, we’d love to hear it!

Other stuff. There’s probably a couple of other things you would like to tell us about your event.

Now you’re playing with power! Where do we go from here? We’ll get back to you and give you a little feedback. We’ve been talking to more people that have been organizing events, so I hope we can give you a little good advice to help things go off smoothly.
You’ve got it. You’re awesome! So, what can we do for you?

If we like your idea (we probably will) and you’ve got solid plans, we’ll help you in any way we can. Which may include any of the following:

Quote:
    We can do a post on Facebook and Twitter to get the word out about your event, call for teams or players to sign up, and plug your stream during the event.

We can provide game and DLC keys as prizes for the winners of your event, or as giveaways during the stream.

We can provide you with assets and a couple of basic templates that can help you prepare banners / announcements.

We can give you feedback and help you connect with other people from our community who might be able to help you.

Time permitting, we’ll try to participate in the chat during your stream!

Additional stuff. Think we can help you in a way that we’ve not mentioned? Let us know, and I’ll see what I can do for you.

Looking forward to hearing from you about your plans, and to help you make this happen! What are you doing still sitting there? Let’s do this!

You can be the Dillon to our Dutch, or the other way around if you prefer. Either way, let's be awesome!

If you have any questions, just let me know at robin@ronimo-games.com. I have included a couple of frequently-asked questions below though, so yours might already be answered!

Can we get Lensflare Cat icons as a prize in our tournament?
- Maybe, but not right now. The icons are reserved for tournaments that have already had at least one edition and that we can be sure will go off fairly well. The winners have to earn the prize, but so does the event! In any case, assigning Lensflare Cat icons as a prize for a tournament is at our sole discretion.

Can I get a Golden Duck icon for running the event?
- Maybe, but that is at our sole discretion. The Golden Duck icon is given to players that have made a strong contribution to our community, and some of the people that have organized events in the past received an icon while other didn’t.

Can we get keys for X/Y/Z as a reward in the event?
- It depends, we can talk about it. We won’t give out keys for rewards that were exclusive to our Kickstarter campaign though!

Post subject: Re: So, you want to organize an event? Awesome! We can help!
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:17 pm 

:thumb:

Steam
YouTube
Twitch

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:44 pm 

But didn't you give out kiickstarter-exclusive rewards for Challengenauts?

tourrettturan wrote:
Ask Jakob, he knows how to beat everything.

Standard SoloQ

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:02 pm 

Jakob wrote:

I think it was Corpit's personnal kickstarter reward, and he decided to use it as a prize

♥    :party:    ♥    :facepalm:    ♥   :ksenia: ♥    :shady:    ♥    :yoolip:    ♥    :chucho:    ♥

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:08 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Indeed, Corpit really wanted to give out the backer-exclusive skins from the Silver tier, so he used the keys he got through a pledge. Any Ghost Leon or Cyber Coco key you see being given away has been acquired through a pledge.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:31 pm 

If I may friendly ask you, why can't backer exclusive skins not be given through tournaments?

Anyways, for anyone that's thinking of doing this, Ronimo are really cool people when it comes to that. Slodder and I already made use of their services for the teacomp composition tournament, and that went really well!

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:41 pm 

Jakob wrote:

The Challengenauts prizes were donated by me and Zold. It was actually a Bronze Coco tier, a Ghost Leon skin from Zold's pledge in 2013 (he just doesn't play Leon). And a Golden Koala from my 2013 Pledge (I kept it unused because I thought it would be an awesome prize later on).

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:25 am 

This is great! I'm glad that Ronimo is making it a priority to help make these community events happen :thumb:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:29 pm 

Robin wrote:
Can we get Lensflare Cat icons as a prize in our tournament?
- Maybe, but not right now. The icons are reserved for tournaments that have already had at least one edition and that we can be sure will go off fairly well. The winners have to earn the prize, but so does the event! In any case, assigning Lensflare Cat icons as a prize for a tournament is at our sole discretion.

what about awc?
if a tournament has as much effort put in as that, would lensflare cats be consired

Frankie3nig has been permabanned by Sony 0

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:54 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

It has already been more than one and a half year since the AWC, and our policy has changed in the meantime.

Even a tournament that is as polished and well-prepared as the AWC would not be guaranteed to receive Lensflare Cats the first time around right now. I won't rule out that there might be exceptions down the line, though that would be at our discretion.