Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Weekly testing grounds - possible regular event?
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:22 pm 

Hey everyone. I'm here looking for help/advice/knowledge with events in Awesomenauts.

I'll break this up into sections to give you an idea of what I'm looking to do (or have done) along with why.

• What do I want to create?
  • What problem am I solving?
  • Who am I, what is my background in competitive esports, and why should you believe I can do this?
  • What do I need from you?

What do I want to create?
Quote:
An always running weekly event, where each week runs (mostly) independently of the previous week(s).

Schedule
  • Monday: Signups are opened.
  • Friday: Signups are closed, and a bracket is generated.
  • Saturday, Noon EST: Teams run through the pick/ban phase for their first match-up and play a best of one game. Winners are paired off against each other every hour following according to the bracket. The final match is a best of three match.
  • Sunday, 1pm EST: The 2 games from the semifinals are streamed and casted, followed by the 2 or 3 games from the finals.

General Rules
  • Teams sign up on a thread in the forums by posting with all members of the team
  • Teams must indicate a person of contact. This person will be responsible for connecting with opponents (or with event admins if necessary)
  • Teams may be 3 or 4 members (1 substitute allowed)
  • The person of contact from the winning team will email a ZIP file of the match(es) to the streamer after the event on Saturday
  • Matches that will not be streamed on Sunday may be streamed by the competitors. The semifinals and finals may not be streamed to preserve a minimum of secrecy
  • The top 2 teams each week may not participate in the following week's event (if there is one). This is to allow new teams opportunities to showcase their talent on the big stage

Concerns
  • Specific times on weekends may not be good for people from different countries. My experiences tend towards later in the day to accommodate Australian players, but noon/1pm EST generally offers reasonable times to NA and EU. Thoughts?
  • Only 4-5 games will be cast. Adding the next layer down (quarterfinals) to the schedule nearly doubles that number, but in the case of long matches, the stream time could become excessive. Thoughts?
  • Restricting the top 2 teams sucks, but I want to prevent a stagnant scene and prioritize this regular event as "entry level". I'm not sure if this is the appropriate way to do this, and this rule can be revoked if the community dislikes it
  • A regular event that takes up both days edges out other events. Initial idea is that this event goes on hiatus while other events run, then returns after they complete. With a spectator mode, the community could decide on a day for timed events (Saturday?) and a day for always-running events (Sunday) and the event could run on a single day each week.

Interesting options
  • Additional streamers/casters could allow a succession of streams each with a low burden to stream more of the games
  • An "Exhibition Round" could be introduced between the Third and Fourth place teams. This match would take place on either old AI station or on the new incomplete StarStorm map. The best of one match would be streamed after the semifinals and before the finals to add additional content to the stream and to start introducing the starstorm map into the competitive scene. Also because fun.
  • When actual spectator mode is introduced, the event can be condensed into a single day. This is further in the future
  • If a 2 day event seems dumb and spoilers are a problem, the format could be converted to use "spectator mode" via drop-box. However, given that this is entry level, I would like to avoid technical solutions that require a new team to jump through hoops just to compete.

What problem am I solving?
Quote:
Currently in Awesomenauts there are no always-running events. There are long events that go for several weeks at a time, but there are also down weekends where nothing is happening. There are also circumstances where no event takes place for a longer period of time. I feel that these periods of stagnancy drain the enthusiasm of the competitive scene. New teams have nothing to test themselves with, and old teams have no new challenge to try to conquer. When an event does show up, losing quickly puts you in the back seat for a lengthy period of time with little opportunity to improve.

By introducing an event that runs every weekend, we introduce a regular entry point for players and teams to start treating Awesomenauts as a competitive game. New teams can regularly participate and, from the experience, grow and learn. Scrims offer this same opportunity, but require connections and self planning. A structured event allows a multitude of teams to participate in a game or two of competitive play with minimal required interconnected planning on their part.

Finally, a regular event allows all teams an opportunity to test new strategies and to learn the speed of a competitive nauts match on a much more regular and frequent basis. The large space for improvement opens up for every team given that they can easily play a real competitive match on a regular basis and use the week to digest anything they learned from their game(s).

As a side note, a regular low-key event also provides an opportunity for new casters to join in and test the waters. By growing our casting pool, we make future events significantly easier!

Who am I, what is my background in competitive esports, and why should you believe I can do this?
Quote:
The biggest percentage of my esports history comes from Guns of Icarus Online. I was one of the top competitive pilots in the game for about half a year in late 2013 to early 2014.

After competing in an event that I felt was oversold and failed to offer what I was looking for in an event, I wrote a rule set for a new league system and, with help from several figureheads of the community, I administrated the Hephaestus Challenge, one of the most successful and well received events in the game's history. Similar to Nauts, Guns of Icarus is a small indie game. However, teams require 8 people in order to be competitive, often times needing a number of substitutes. While the team count was only 14, small scale, the players per team was much higher, offering some different challenges.

Following this event, I began to transition from Guns to Awesomenauts, where I had the good pleasure of meeting Popuptwo. I began participating in his regular youtube series Race to Prestige. We participated briefly in the Awesomecup. After this I began streaming nauts on a regular basis (except for a nasty cough the last 2 weeks). With streaming I have returned to Guns of Icarus and cast several matches for their current ongoing event.

After running an event and participating in the background planning of others, I know a decent amount of the struggles that organizers and streamers run into. Clearly this event isn't fully fleshed out, but I wanted to gauge community interest before committing to creating rule sets and post format structures etc. My casting experience is limited, but I believe I have done a solid job with my opportunities thus far and would like to expand that experience into awesomenauts.

What do I need from you?
Quote:
  • Would you be interested in participating in a regular event like this?
  • Would you be interested in helping with administrative details during the actual tournaments on Saturdays?
  • Would you be interested in streaming and/or casting during a Sunday portion?
  • As an event organizer, would this event happening on a regular basis make you feel like you could not create your own event?
  • Would you be able to contribute any art that could be used by the streamers to showcase the event?
  • What are your thoughts/concerns/anything regarding this entire proposal? I want to know what you think!

That about wraps up my proposal. Please comment or message me if you have any feedback you would like to offer!

Post subject: Re: Weekly testing grounds - possible regular event?
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:30 am 

I edited the OP to better display and reflect my proposed event. Previous format was a bit unrefined.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:50 am 

That sounds great. If you ever need administrative help I'm one to offer

Sent from Deez nutz using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:59 am 

Aaron12906m wrote:
That sounds great. If you ever need administrative help I'm one to offer

I'll keep you in the loop!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:26 am 

Your Idea is Solid, but how do you plan to Account for * ups on the Perticapators Part?
Example's Include: People not Showing up, cheating any Possible Systems the Rules may not State Clearly, that sort of Thing. :tongue:

Subs: :worship: :clap: :think:
Trying to Learn: Frizzy McLizzy
Break: :scoop: :aylaroll:
ChrisD wrote:
*Add user Kua to "Never listen to Balance ideas" list*

:CocoWink:

Stream

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:08 am 

Kua wrote:
Your Idea is Solid, but how do you plan to Account for * ups on the Perticapators Part?
Example's Include: People not Showing up, cheating any Possible Systems the Rules may not State Clearly, that sort of Thing. :tongue:

These would be part of the rules that I have to draw up, and the reason having admins/staff/whatever is important.

If people don't show up, the team they would fight gets a pass. If multiple teams don't show up, this chains forwards. A team that is waiting for their opponent will contact one of the admins after a set amount of time stating that their opponent is a no-show. If the other team fails to do the same (ie: both teams are failing to find each other), then the team that did show up moves forwards. If both teams contact the admin, then the match can be created manually by the admin and links forwarded with admin as a proxy.

If there is cheating discovered, then either the rules aren't good enough and need to be amended, or it is a problem with the game itself and should be sent to Ronimo.

Regarding cheating in any individual week, if the rules don't state against it, I'll allow it and amend the rules for the next week.

The great thing about a weekly restart is if something is learned, we fix it and it is in place the very next week. I won't punish a team for something I never said they can't do.

Given the small scale of each weekend, things going wrong, while bad, isn't a major problem. We experience, we learn, and we fix. I don't expect to have any major prizepool, just maybe some skins for the winner if this gets support and Ronimo can help me out, so a week being messed up shouldn't be too big of a deal. Of course the goal is to design it in such a way that we can avoid these from the start!

If a team consistently fails to show or consistently DQ's themselves due to causing trouble, then we start looking at week or multi-week bans for those players. We should be able to avoid problems carrying over from week to week.

Does that answer your question?

Basically the restart time for the event being only 1 week gives us the opportunity to quickly eradicate any problems that arise, without changing the rules mid-event.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:06 pm 

The competitive scene is always in need for more tournaments, so the idea of having something on-going such as a weekly is a great thing to hear.

I don't have any strict opinions or thoughts on your plan at the time of this post, however if you want anyone to talk to about it I definitely don't mind hearing more about what you've got planned on steam.

Me and my team have made a few events for the community, so I believe there might be a thing or two I could help you with if you need anything.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:47 pm 

Yay!!! Like the idea! Can't wait to get wrecked by the good teams :D. Still I need to find a team first :huh: ...

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:19 pm 

Alexeus wrote:
The competitive scene is always in need for more tournaments, so the idea of having something on-going such as a weekly is a great thing to hear.

I don't have any strict opinions or thoughts on your plan at the time of this post, however if you want anyone to talk to about it I definitely don't mind hearing more about what you've got planned on steam.

Me and my team have made a few events for the community, so I believe there might be a thing or two I could help you with if you need anything.

Thanks alexeus! I'll definitely try to get with you in the next couple days to see if we can brainstorm any improvements.

Eat Your Donut wrote:
Yay!!! Like the idea! Can't wait to get wrecked by the good teams :D. Still I need to find a team first :huh: ...

If you can find a team, getting wrecked is always a good learning experience... you may surprise yourself though!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:38 pm 

Let me know if I can help. I have no experience in organizing this kind of event but maybe I can be helpful in some way I do not see right now :monkey: .