Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Weekly testing grounds - possible regular event?
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:47 pm 

Eat Your Donut wrote:
Let me know if I can help. I have no experience in organizing this kind of event but maybe I can be helpful in some way I do not see right now :monkey: .

Initially it is going to be creating/reviewing the initial rules. I'll try to get some formalized and posted by midweek. The rules will help guide how many people are needed on Saturdays and what their roles would be.

I'll certainly keep you in the loop!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:16 pm 

:worship: Awesome to have some more people with ideas in the scene that hopefully will amount to something :worship:

As for your post. I'd love to play in this tournament and help you out in whatever way I can. I have some experience in hosting smaller tourneys and other projects like the gfnba. I can definitely help out with setting up a ruleset and some organizing too.

But what exactly do you want? A forever long series of small tournaments, then I'd suggest allowing others to contact you whenever another event is planned. You don't want to get in the way of a big tourney. If you want to host the big tournament yourself you'd probably want some build up for a final tourney or something (maybe a few months away), prize pool would be a big problem with this.

Also can I add you on steam? Easier to discuss things.

Steam | Twitch | Gelati community

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:32 pm 

Kooltje wrote:
:worship: Awesome to have some more people with ideas in the scene that hopefully will amount to something :worship:

As for your post. I'd love to play in this tournament and help you out in whatever way I can. I have some experience in hosting smaller tourneys and other projects like the gfnba. I can definitely help out with setting up a ruleset and some organizing too.

Glad to have another vote of confidence!

Kooltje wrote:
But what exactly do you want? A forever long series of small tournaments, then I'd suggest allowing others to contact you whenever another event is planned. You don't want to get in the way of a big tourney. If you want to host the big tournament yourself you'd probably want some build up for a final tourney or something (maybe a few months away), prize pool would be a big problem with this.

You've sort of hit the nail on the head, a big reason I posted here with the concept before spending time on rules etc.

I want a forever long series of small tournaments. Something to keep competitive breathing between big events. I sort of mentioned in the OP that the missing spectator mode really hurts this.

In my past life, the serious events ran on Saturday and the weekly events ran on Sundays. Given the technical challenge of live spectating, this isn't really that feasible in nauts.

I don't want to, and don't have the resources to, host a big event. I don't want to impede them either. I'm not sure the best way to make it clear to any bystander that my weekly event will be put on hold for any big event weekends, and that my event is purely an in-between kind of thing.

Kooltje wrote:
Also can I add you on steam? Easier to discuss things.

Aye! Redria7 with a nice red orb picture. I'm happy to discuss this and other events/ideas. :) the community I was part of before had some really awesome event concepts that could play out really well in nauts, and I'd love to see some come to life here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:38 pm 
Adminaut

I can shout at gameplay. That's about all I've got.

Maybe that'll help.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:00 pm 

SlowWolf wrote:
I can shout at gameplay. That's about all I've got.

Maybe that'll help.

Shouting at gameplay is good. :thumb:

Actually, I'm interested in compiling a list of caster/streamers. I'd like to diversify this event into a streaming/casting role, and 1-3 individuals acting as admins during the event. By condensing down a simple rule set, each week's tournament can be handed to a set of admins and a caster for a straightforward event, and the load can be spread among casters to spread experience and effort.

I'm not sure if there is any existing list, I haven't researched that, but I'd like to make one publicly available for people to contact and for people to join in and get experience in casting. If there's no list, consider yourself top of the new list! :glasses:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:07 am 

Start a discord server to allow people to ask questions, pitch ideas etc. :raehands:

You can organize this list within discord itself which is one of the many useful features of discord.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:06 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Heya! Great initiative!

While I can't really help you set this up or anything, we're always happy to support community events with some keys as prizes and perhaps some social-media coverage when you need the exposure.

Once you've landed on an idea you'd like to put into action, please get in touch with me on robin@ronimo-games.com and we can talk about what we can do to help you make it even more awesome!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:07 pm 

Robin wrote:
Heya! Great initiative!

While I can't really help you set this up or anything, we're always happy to support community events with some keys as prizes and perhaps some social-media coverage when you need the exposure.

Once you've landed on an idea you'd like to put into action, please get in touch with me on robin@ronimo-games.com and we can talk about what we can do to help you make it even more awesome!

Thanks Robin! Once things are finalized I'll let you know.

Erabos wrote:
Start a discord server to allow people to ask questions, pitch ideas etc. :raehands:

You can organize this list within discord itself which is one of the many useful features of discord.

You and your evil discord ploys... :think:
You might get me to look at it for this erabosu. :tear:

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:21 pm 

Just a comment on casting both semis and the finals. You should be aware that there is no guarantee that these will be "good" games. The drafts may be boring and passive, there may be disconnects, the replay might get corrupted. Or the most likely bad situation is it will be too short (like 10 minute stomp) or it might be a 50 minute stall fest on Sorona.

Having done streams for the WW I can tell you that these issues happen fairly regularly (maybe not the replay corruption). If you commit to doing a minimum of 4 to 5 games every Sunday you are also looking at a 3-4 hour stream each time.

If the tournament you are proposing is less "grande" than some of the others we have seen and more of a constant feature you may want to consider limiting the stream to 1 semi and the finals or perhaps just the finals. In general some flexibility regarding which games you cast may be necessary.

edit: I really really love the idea btw :). I will definitely be signing up if and when this all gets finalised.

Check out my streams: twitch.tv/the_eddster27
Make sure you follow the MS Paint off!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:36 pm 

eddster27 wrote:
Just a comment on casting both semis and the finals. You should be aware that there is no guarantee that these will be "good" games. The drafts may be boring and passive, there may be disconnects, the replay might get corrupted. Or the most likely bad situation is it will be too short (like 10 minute stomp) or it might be a 50 minute stall fest on Sorona.

Having done streams for the WW I can tell you that these issues happen fairly regularly (maybe not the replay corruption). If you commit to doing a minimum of 4 to 5 games every Sunday you are also looking at a 3-4 hour stream each time.

If the tournament you are proposing is less "grande" than some of the others we have seen and more of a constant feature you may want to consider limiting the stream to 1 semi and the finals or perhaps just the finals. In general some flexibility regarding which games you cast may be necessary.

edit: I really really love the idea btw :). I will definitely be signing up if and when this all gets finalised.

Time taken is driving the best of 1 rule until the finals already. Matches usually take around 30 minutes, but as you said there is quite a bit of variance in that.

2 semifinal games plus 2-3 finals games protects us somewhat from stomps making a 1 hour stream, and having so few games also means that worst case a stream shouldn't be passing 5 hours unless every game is hitting the 1 hour mark.

The possibility of an exhibition game between 3rd and 4th place taking place on old AI or on the star storm map would give us the option of adding a bit of time to the stream if it would be too short.

Regarding the quality of the games... I keep bouncing around the idea in my head that somehow the games could be screened somehow, but it seems too subjective. If the flavor of the week is passive boring gameplay, I kind of feel like that's what should be shown. A round-of-64 match may be more generally entertaining than a semifinal, but it is less likely to showcase high level competitive play.

As another factor in the argument, being streamed should be part of the reward for doing well. It would seem unfair to not cast one semifinal match while the other does get casted.

I think if the first week proves to be too much, the initial cut would be to remove the semifinals and show the exhibition match and the finals. However I'd like the semifinals to be shown to give some context to the teams playing in the finals.