Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: The Issues With the Awesomenauts Community
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:01 pm 

Hello before I get into my opinion about the state of the Awesomenauts community let me tell you a bit about myself for context. I have been playing Awesomenauts on and off since 2014 and have about 500 hours in the game. I am a decent player and play with quite a few L1 players. Now onto the real topic of this discussion the community. Many of you already now about the state of Awesomenauts community with many people in general chat spouting “This game is dead” constantly. While I don’t believe that Awesomenauts is “dead” I do believe that I can do something to provide a better community experience for new and experienced players. But before I write about what I am going to do let’s talk about what you guys can do. I see this community as split between 3 groups Ronimo themselves, The committed players, and the average players.

1. Ronimo

Many people point to Ronimo as the sole reason that the game is dying. However, while they could be doing better I don’t think they are doing as bad of a job that people say they are. I do have three things that Ronimo could do to help the community. First, they could do more community events. The guide contest that they did a while ago was a good step in the right direction however they kind of went blank when it came to the community aspect of this game. Second, They could fix a lot of the old item descriptions. What I mean by this is the inconsistency with many of the items. (Example. Some items will say total damage when you buy the second tier, and some will only say the same boost twice). The last and smallest thing Ronimo could do is add discord integration. By allowing people to send game invites through discord. This would be a great addition to the Awesomenauts community.

2. Dedicated Community Members

By Dedicated Community Members I mean the people who actively make community content for the game. These are the people that make videos, guides and actively coach players. Starting with videos I think its pretty clear that this part of the community is lacking. These is only one-real Awesomenauts youtuber (Slowwolf) and while I like his videos and I watch everyone that he makes he doesn’t really do tutorials. I believe that more people making videos and informational content for this game would help the community. The second thing is guides. The guide contest added a fold of new and informational guides for this game. However, due to the constant changes and updates it can be hard to keep these guides updated. Both videos and guides take a lot of effort to make and can be hard to do without a lot of practice and skill with YouTube or Steam. However, there is something that most good/great players can do without much effort and that is Helping new players. Just by giving advice and tips to new players such as builds, and techniques could be very helpful. Personally, I was helped by some good players once upon a time and that really helped me get better.

3. Average players

Most of the people reading this post would fall into the category of average players. Average players would love to have the community grow but aren’t willing to do much to actively grow it themselves. Somethings that these players can do to grow the community is to be friendlier to new players, Answer questions and start getting to know the community members. The first thing is to just be friendlier to new players. This seem simple, but I find that many people will hate on players that have only played a few games just because they haven’t fully grasped this game yet. This is just a general call to give new players a break when it come to there first few(thousand) games. You can also grow the community by engaging in discussion on the community tab or just in general chat. The last suggestion I have for players is to friend players and start parties. While you might hate fighting that really good L1 premade party this only happens because there is not enough premades playing the game.

Now here is what I am going to do to help fix the community. I am going to launch a discord server called Awesomenauts World. With the Awesomenauts world discord server I will try and bring the community closer together. The Awesomenauts World discord server has three main purposes. The first is to be a sever for people to find other players in their skill level to play with. The second function of the Awesomenauts World discord server is to help new players. The final use of the Awesomenauts World discord server is to compile guides and strategies. I hope that this server will help the community grow and get better together. Make sure to spread this server with your friends and anyone that wants to learn more about Awesomenauts.

You can join the discord server by clicking this link: https://discord.gg/uWP4G4F

Post subject: Re: The Issues With the Awesomenauts Community
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:37 am 

Skilled players will never share their secrets because they'll lose their ranks if so. They need new players only to stomp them for ez wins.
Average players turn off chat and simply play the game. They don't care at all.
New players struggle because learning any game starting with "hell" mode straight is not effective. They leave or become salty noob feeders like me.

So how exactly your new channel would help people abandon their instincts and become loving fluffy darlings?

Besides there are plenty already. And there are some nice people out there. But they don't want to be nice to at least 50% of the playerbase who are jerks, morons, imbecills, * etc. etc.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:19 pm 

ScR wrote:
Skilled players will never share their secrets because they'll lose their ranks if so. They need new players only to stomp them for ez wins.

How did you come to this opinion? From my personal experience skilled players are eager to help out less experienced players if they ask for help.
I've personally coached people several times, it's not like a good player who streams is scared of people copying his playstyle.
People are often streaming scrims during tournaments.

ScR wrote:
Average players turn off chat and simply play the game. They don't care at all.
New players struggle because learning any game starting with "hell" mode straight is not effective. They leave or become salty noob feeders like me.

That is their choice in doing so, if they want to get better they should learn from mistakes and be open-minded. Players with toxic behaviour like that should be kept away from the game, since they ruin the fun for others.

OP wrote:
2. Dedicated Community Members

On a side-note, I think there are plenty of guides available on the steam community hub. Also watching good players on twitch is by far the best way for new players to get better, and most are eager to help you out in chat.
The problem with most guide videos, is that they get outdated very quickly since the meta is always changing.

Your opinion is one of the reasons Sentry is in it's current state

Steam
Youtube [best montages]

Last edited by Jas123c on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:32 pm 

Jas123c wrote:
How did you come to this opinion? From my personal experience skilled players are eager to help out less experienced players if they ask for help.

Most top players I've played with were toxic. Just personal experience.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:18 am 

ScR wrote:
Jas123c wrote:

I haven't really seen a "top player" who's been toxic. Please enlighten me.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:40 am 

Uiomancant wrote:

Nah I won't buy this. Naming and shaming. :raehands:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:48 pm 

Uiomancant wrote:
ScR wrote:

I know very few toxic "top players", as far as I'm concerned it's a vocal minority. (at least in Europe)
Most toxic players are L2-ish and cannot accept mistakes they are making, which is why they are in L2 to begin with, which probably helps with their toxicity.

Your opinion is one of the reasons Sentry is in it's current state

Steam
Youtube [best montages]

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:34 pm 

ScR wrote:

Nobody does this? Even the best player (niki) would tell you what's what if you asked when he streams. I even remember body hunter setting up a weekly thing where people sent him in replays and he told you what you could do to improve.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:17 am 

Sam! wrote:
Nobody does this? Even the best player (niki) would tell you what's what if you asked when he streams. I even remember body hunter setting up a weekly thing where people sent him in replays and he told you what you could do to improve.

Sigh. I need that "sarcasm" emote so bad.