Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

Post subject: Re: Patch 3.1 beta 1 is Live!
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:44 pm 

Talking about the detonatable projectiles, what about Air Strike? If Ted shots the Air Strike and dies, it disappear. Did you guys forgot him? :tear:

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:56 pm 

Joost wrote:
Seralla wrote:
Okay, this has been bothering me since their release. Can you guys go ahead and remove Amy from Lux's lore? I say this because she's completely forgotten almost every time, they're either a team in control of the Naut, Lux, or it's just Jimmy. When Ronimo themselves are going with this aswell I fail to see why she's there. ...

We think it's nice and fun that blue team is a girl and red team is a boy. We're not going to remove that.

We also think it's impractical and too long to call them "Jimmy and Amy and the LUX5000" everywhere. We also don't want to alternate between Jimmy and Amy because that would be confusing. Just imagine fun descriptions like "Amy got buffed because Jimmy didn't do enough damage."

That does leave the question: why not make Amy the default name instead of Jimmy? Well, this character was inspired by Lux, the son of Ronimo lead artist Gijs. Since we were basing this character on a real little boy it felt more natural to us to make the boy's name the default name.

Also, note that there's a bunch of devs contributing to these patch notes so we're generally not very consistent in patch notes. Everyone here writes things slightly differently.

A reasonable response and thanks for the reply. I should point out I wrote an extreme (i.e removing Amy) since that's a more effective way of getting my point across, I don't see any overall reason to remove her. If anything the only time I play Lux is on Blue team. However I still stand that I'd be at least less bothered by this if it weren't for the fact that the game is severely lacking female characters and the one character that is female in this expansion is overshadowed by her other half (not to mention the all-male original cast), partly due to the fact that society for some reason dictates male as being the default.

I'm not saying put more female characters in for the sake of it, it just seems like where the male cast are so diverse, it's a missed opportunity for female representation in a time where sexism in video games/media as a whole is still a common issue.

I'm great at parties. :party:

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:10 pm 

no, people call the lux duo jimmy by default because everyone is associated with the red team in promotional art, not because of some stupid male bias

i like how ronimo insists on keeping their dumb leveling system by making starstorm statue a pain in the ass to get for no good reason

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:19 pm 

Quote:
I don't know if making One-Armed slightly more aim-dependent will make it better. It'll reduce the overall damage, but I still feel that the main issue is how consistently you can pull it off. It doesn't need to activate through bike demount. :chucho:
Also there are a ton of things that need changing buff-wise. Primarily concerning his health, but he also has a lot of mandatory (Team Toddletron, primarily, though Four-Eye Visor could use some tweaks) and completely useless (Mission Brief, Trick-Up-Your-Sleeve, Neon Nitro Muffler {addressed sorta}, Retracting Spike Fender, and how generally useless Space Air Max is on Chucho) upgrades that could use some tweaking.
Again: The main concern is One-Armed, and I want to see something done about that before we start fiddling with other things. Though other things do need changes.

I personally really depend on Mission Brief and always buy it. What do you not like about it? :chucho:

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:26 pm 

After playing more LUX I'm glad you're not overbuffing it. Honestly I feel like it's still really close to being too good (I mean a tank that has one of the best escape abilities in the game isn't the most balanced idea).

Even then I'd like to see some small adjustments to how it works:

-Slightly increase the time that you can "save" your combo with your AA (=time it takes before the AA resets back to the first punch). I'm talking about something like 0.3-0.5 seconds here.
Why? Currently it just feels too short. That combined with the fact that it only has two different types of AAs makes the reseting feel more limiting than on say Skolldir.

-Buff Steel boxing gloves (shield on third AA after using an ability) and Fresh sandpit sand (shockwave on AA). Both of them are pretty much garbage.

Steel boxing gloves is either too situational (since it only activates after using an ability) or has too low duration (only two seconds). Mostly both while also just being pretty expensive for something with that low an uptime.

Fresh sandpit sand is really, really finicky on when it wants to activate. You have to both be on the ground when you're starting your AA and when you're ending it, which means you have to stay on the ground for the whole time which makes you a very easy target while wasting your great mobility. Also the damage is awful for something that situational, but if it wasn't as situatinal it might be good enough.
Test how it would work if it would activate even if you're not standing on ground but "close enough" to it (meaning it would activate while doing short hops). That could be enough, maybe?

Edit: Forgot to add the reasoning behind why I think these two upgrades need changes.
Currently your AA row on LUX is pretty much damage, heal and range since the other three upgrades just aren't nearly good enough (attack speed isn't bad but the second stage doesn't work), but on the beta version I'd expect that there's again only three "viable" upgrades (range is still good but the attack speed is probably going to be loads better). Most of LUX's damage comes from the AA so I feel the AA row needs to be especially well balanced to counteract that.

Edit: Edit: Also possibly slightly increase the damage of Micey and the Missile Factory (the "shotgun"-upgrade on missiles). Currently it only increases the damage of missiles overall by 15% (since it decreases the main damage by that much and both of the side missiles do that much) while making it A LOT harder to land all of them (= you pretty much have to be melee range to be even able to hit them on one target). It's a cool upgrade but not really worth it now, try increasing the damage on the side missiles by 5-10% (or possibly experiment with adding another stage to it so it would end up making the side missiles deal 30% of the main missiles damage for 430 solar).

Edit X3: Also is there anything more pointless to discuss than what name we should use for a character? Wait yes there is but might as well not.

Cool videos.
I stream. Sometimes.

Last edited by tolkki on Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:49 pm 

After playing a few bot matches, I have the same thoughts I have every time I play bot matches: why is Ted bot still in the game. He 1/10 at best against other bots. He shoulda been removed patches ago, at least until someone fixes him.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:57 pm 

conorbebe wrote:
Seralla wrote:
Thijs wrote:
*snip*

Or just call them by their uniting factor: LUX5000.
Like, "LUX receives nerfs" and that jazz.
I've refused to call the duo just Jimmy or just Amy, I go for LUX in general.

Steam: jayemraichu (name: JayEmPlays)
Mah YouTube Channel (AwesoMondays!)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:11 am 

OMG these sweet custom settings!
Frog can fly now :thumb:
best update ever

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:15 am 

Hmm... :think:

This change to the interaction between silence and snipe may end up harming Raelynn more than helping her, because while Rae will still get her snipe out, it means she'll be locked into the chargeup animation, unable to fire the snipe earlier and therefore unable to move.

I gotta test this at some point to see how it goes.

we're giving this thread too much attention for its quality

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:23 am 

ant wrote:
no, people call the lux duo jimmy by default because everyone is associated with the red team in promotional art, not because of some stupid male bias

Perfectly valid point, somewhat like how Red team in TF2 are always the primary team used.

JayEmPlays wrote:
Or just call them by their uniting factor: LUX5000.
Like, "LUX receives nerfs" and that jazz.
I've refused to call the duo just Jimmy or just Amy, I go for LUX in general.

I do this myself, the full name is notably far too long, but as a single unit, they are Lux.

Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next