Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: please ronimo! swap max's two skills
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:53 am 

Please swap it so that Slow-mo is in the first skill slot and Scene Illumination is in the second slot.

Reason? Slow-Mo shot requires you to aim and press the skill button at the same time. Scene Illumination doesn't require angular aiming. this is a common pattern shared by 24 characters that should be respected.

Swapping Max's skills as I've suggested makes his general control scheme more consistent with these characters:
Froggy G
Leon
Scoop
Gnaw
Ayla
Voltar
Coco
Derpl
Vinnie
Genji
Rocco
Ksenia
Ix
Ted
Sentry
Nibbs
Yoolip
Chucho
Deadlift
Dizzy
Smiles
Rocket
Qitara
Snork

please ronimo, do this right. keeping the characters consistent is good design and makes it easier for new players to pick up and play. you've done a great job so far, let's keep this going! (well...skree's skills should be swapped too IMO...jimmy's too...and penny/swig are outliers with both skills requiring aiming)

disclaimer: i play on a controller and my control scheme is optimized toward these 24 characters. i want to continue playing new characters without needing to redo my button layout and relearn a game i've already spent way too much time trying to get good at.

Last edited by robochase6000 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:32 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Re: please ronimo! swap max's two skills
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:32 am 

or add character specific key configs so you can just switch them.

"There's only one booty to appease my blasted urges"
:kiss: #Coco's Booty :kiss:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:23 am 

Generally speaking;
Right click = Primary Skill
MMB = Secondary Skill

Rexic The King wrote:
or add character specific key configs so you can just switch them

Would be a nice feature.

2 Balance Rules

1) No upgrade should be mandatory
2) No upgrade should outclass or be overly reliant on another upgrade

My steam
Leader of Team HDTV

Jasper wrote:
Well Lashes and Sunballs are about as strong

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:00 am 

Badass Ketchup wrote:
Generally speaking;
MMB = Secondary Skill

It makes far more sense to group the skills in terms of how you will perform them instead of by some arbitrary grouping like primary/secondary skil. Especially considering that's how the vast majority of characters Currently function.

To me it seems like the designers smartly chose to have most every character follow a roughly similar control scheme. lately though, with jimmy and max, we see an obvious break in this pattern for no clear reason. The only thing I can think of is that whoever is designing these guys now either isn't aware there was a pattern, or they simply don't care enough to follow it. Both cases are troubling :/

While I wouldn't mind per-character controller configurations, I feel like that is an incredibly complex solution to a problem with a common sense answer.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:23 am 
Ronimo Team Member

Badass is correct:

MMB = Secondary Skill

Generally the Right click is reserved for the skill you use most.

That's the pattern. The skill being aimable was never a consideration for any of these, it just turned out that way.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:15 pm 

robochase6000 wrote:
Please swap it so that Slow-mo is in the first skill slot and Scene Illumination is in the second slot.

Reason? Slow-Mo shot requires you to aim and press the skill button at the same time. Scene Illumination doesn't require angular aiming. this is a common pattern shared by 18 characters that should be respected.

Yes, please swap. Because of this very reason when I started playing Max Fucos I've confused skills a lot. Now I've used to it and don't confuse them, but aiming is still inconvinient.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:52 pm 

Jasper wrote:
Badass is correct:

MMB = Secondary Skill

Generally the Right click is reserved for the skill you use most.

That's the pattern. The skill being aimable was never a consideration for any of these, it just turned out that way.

Ayla, derpl, Ted, and Chucho break that pattern :/

If we were talking cars, this would be the equivalent of switching the gas pedal and brake for certain vehicles. Because on a slower car, you'll press the gas more often. But on a fast car, you'll press the brake more often. In reality, there's a lot more internal and external factors at play that determine how often you'll be apply the gas and brake. Car weight, horsepower, the road you're on, current traffic, tire traction, weather conditions, etc

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:50 pm 

robochase6000 wrote:
Ayla, derpl, Ted, and Chucho break that pattern :/

Stance switches are an obvious exception, and I'd still categorize stance switching as secondary.

To use the same metaphor against you: primary skill is the gas and secondary skill is the brakes. You wouldn't change positions of those.

With a big, robotic ass :chew:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:39 pm 

MurlocAggroB wrote:
To use the same metaphor against you: primary skill is the gas and secondary skill is the brakes. You wouldn't change positions of those.

you're missing my point - primary & secondary classification of skills is kind of arbitrary in awesomenauts and leads to a worse user experience.

keeping the gas and brake pedals in the same orientation for all cars is simply good design and more user friendly. because that way all cars function the same. it's easier to pick up and drive - if you know one car, you know all cars.

as another example - there's a reason why keyboards haven't all switched to the dvorak layout - people are used to it functioning qwerty style and relearning how to type is simply not worth the effort.

i recognize that 'primary' skills are generally on a lower cooldown, but i just don't think that's a good governing rule for putting it in the first slot. that argument would be stronger if ALL 'primary' skills had a spammable cooldown of 0-3 seconds - you might want a truly spammable ability to be as easy to press as possible (which is basically what the AA is)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:57 pm 

I don't agree with that at all. Simple skill is RMB. Weird skill is MMB.

With a big, robotic ass :chew: