Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Qi'Tara Doesn't "Feel" Right
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:42 am 

Qi'Tara comes with a couple of core concepts that sound good on paper, but don't seem to execute very well. Specifically, I am referring to the stacking DoT and a melee character without any crowd control effects. They sound interesting because they are novel, but the reason they are novel is because they shouldn't be done. There isn't anything inherently wrong with stacking DoT, but whenever people justify the damage by saying "after a while, their health bar begins to fill up with a surprising amount of dot", they are defeating the purpose of an assassin*. The same goes for the lack of cc effects. How are you supposed to effectively kill an enemy when they can walk away without penalty and you have to hug them constantly to do any damage?

It is also clear that Qi'Tara's aim was to encourage cooperation and synergy. This was made obvious by the strange upgrades from the first beta, and the remnant damage vs cced enemies. However, since every naut already fills a variety of roles (there is no such thing as a support naut), it doesn't make much sense to make a new character that is entirely situational. As I solo-queue most of the time, I see no reason to ever trust my teammates before the game even starts to lockdown enemies so that I can play Qi'Tara.

As a result, Qi'Tara pales in comparison to Rocket, whose role was clear from the outset and a joy to play. Qi'Tara has no combo to speak of, her upgrades don't synergize at all**, and there is little satisfaction in playing her. All I can say for sure is that she doesn't sit right with me, but I also hope to convey why that is the case. I would like to hear whether my reasoning is sound and if you see it the same way. As for fixing her, I will make a separate post with some ideas.

*it confounds me that Ronimo builds such dependence on aaing enemies for melee assassins. Penny has to aa all the time, nibbs increases damage potential by doing so, and ksenia must do so in order to reach max burst potential. However, all of these work on droids and creeps, but Qi'Tara must get up close and personal to enemy nauts for extended periods of time to apply her damage

**a good, but not perfect way to measure how well a character's upgrades is to play them in the unlimited power brawl, or just let every character have all upgrades from the beginning

If the leaderboards were truly always designed to be strictly for the matchmaker's consideration only and not for players to climb, I'll film myself drinking several litres of condensed milk and PayPal you all £1,000

Last edited by EgyptFalcon on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Qi'Tara Doesn't "Feel" Right
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:05 am 

EgyptFalcon wrote:
As a result, Qi'Tara pales in comparison to Rocket, whose role was clear from the outset and a joy to play

Rocket is a joy to play because he's very safe and does too much damage :D

EgyptFalcon wrote:
*a good, but not perfect way to measure how well a character's upgrades is to play them in the unlimited power brawl, or just let every character have all upgrades from the beginning

nope, this creates a pretty flawed understanding of upgrade effectiveness/balance

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:31 am 

Quote:
Rocket is a joy to play because he's very safe and does too much damage :D

Even if he did almost no damage, that wouldn't take away how fun he is to play. I play characters for their mechanics, not for their numbers.

Quote:
nope, this creates a pretty flawed understanding of upgrade effectiveness/balance

I am not concerned too much with balance here, mostly design and mechanics. Currently Qi'Tara's upgrades have basically zero connection outside of completely forced synergies.

If the leaderboards were truly always designed to be strictly for the matchmaker's consideration only and not for players to climb, I'll film myself drinking several litres of condensed milk and PayPal you all £1,000

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:37 am 

shooting people with a feather duster is not a fun mechanic