Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Gage's Guide: Covering the Basics for New Players! (Repo
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:09 am 

Micesmack's "Next Steps" Guide

Yes the above guide covers the basics, however the PS4 meta game will evolve, quickly. The same old tactics simply will not cut it within a month or two's time. For this, you will need an intermediate guide to help you adapt to the constantly changing meta-game.

Never, Ever Die:

Micesmack wrote:
- Avoid Death: Death means time off the field, -30 solar for you +120 for the enemy team. You basically give your enemies a free upgrade every time you die + an opportunity to push. DO NOT DIE EVER. I am not saying this to be funny.

- Health + Boots: These are the two best items in the game. Do not even think about leaving them behind until you have 200+ hours in the game. These make you DIE LESS which is your #1 priority! Regen is also helpful! You should aim to have Boots + 2 stages of pills by lv 14.

These two tips right here will bring a league 9 player to league 5 status. At the intermediate level however, these two tips start to change. Enemy teams get better at coordinated ganks, initiators such as Skolldir & Leon get better at keeping you out of your comfort zone, and in general it gets harder to stay alive. The following tips are things that you must keep in mind in order to stay alive in high level play.

- Bait enemy cooldowns: Poke with your AA until your opponent moves in to strike. Dodge their burst, chase with a few more AA shots, and retaliate with your own. By moving last you keep your abilities active, and make your opponent waste theirs. This puts you in a better position for a kill.

- Team up: Having people you can communicate and play with is a must for highest level play. You will coordinate better, you will have someone watching your back, and you can burst down threats better. Try teaming up with anyone, even if you perceive they are worse than you, given time, they will improve, especially in a team setting. A mediocre player who is always around to team up is better than an awesome player who can only be online once a week.

- Watch Your Mini-map while pushing: This will help you watch for threats. If you see blue dots heading your way... Run!

- Get familiar with 3 characters: There is no need to try and master the whole roster. You only need to be good with 3 characters. If two of your mains are picked, you will always have a third ready to go! Furthermore, sticking with 3 characters will lead to a higher mastery of those characters. Playing more with one character will let you know exactly how to move & react in different situations.

Offensive Play:

As much as I like to say "Never, ever die", this won't win you the game alone. Playing a smart offense is crucial to victory.

- Clear Droids Always!: Clearing droids means you get more money & your droids are chipping your enemies turrets. Buy a droid clearing ability early on, and you will reap the benefits for the rest of the match.

- Git Gud w/ AA: Your auto attack should get a lot of use. Making sure you can aim properly can not be understated. Most AA's can add a good 40-50 damage in an encounter if you are aiming properly. Aiming will mean the difference between killing an opponent and letting them escape.

- Push hard after a kill: When your team has a number advantage, that is the time to secure a push NOT GO BACK TO BASE TO BUY UPGRADES! When you apply more pressure after a kill, opponents will move to defend, but since you have number advantage, you can force another kill while they are trying to defend. This is far more beneficial than going back to buy an upgrade.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:47 am 

Micesmack wrote:
- Avoid Death: Death means time off the field, -30 solar for you +120 for the enemy team. You basically give your enemies a free upgrade every time you die + an opportunity to push. DO NOT DIE EVER. I am not saying this to be funny.

I notice great players who consistently have over 4-5 kills and 0 deaths. Sometimes they can reach 14-0. No matter how hard I try, death hangs over my head. I cannot not die, I also tend to be the first to die. It is something I am working on, play more conservatively and not chase a wounded naut blindly on my own since they could be baiting me into an ambush. I tend to win most games even with deaths, but we should try and limit it cause comebacks are tough to pull off.

Great thread, great tips and great people, keep it up!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:44 am 

Sensuma wrote:
I notice great players who consistently have over 4-5 kills and 0 deaths. Sometimes they can reach 14-0. No matter how hard I try, death hangs over my head. I cannot not die, I also tend to be the first to die. It is something I am working on, play more conservatively and not chase a wounded naut blindly on my own since they could be baiting me into an ambush. I tend to win most games even with deaths, but we should try and limit it cause comebacks are tough to pull off.

As someone who doesn't die that often, I'd say the best advice would be to rethink what % of health bar you consider "safe", and when to retreat. I see way too many people running around with little to no health at times, even if they play more conservatively at low health, when their best option is going back to base to refill and get back in the fight at full health.

Also, don't run into time rifts suicidally as Clunk like in that one game. :rae:

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:14 am 

Durandal7 wrote:
Sensuma wrote:

As someone who doesn't die that often, I'd say the best advice would be to rethink what % of health bar you consider "safe", and when to retreat. I see way too many people running around with little to no health at times, even if they play more conservatively at low health, when their best option is going back to base to refill and get back in the fight at full health.

Also, don't run into time rifts suicidally as Clunk like in that one game. :rae:

I hope that 'little to no health' wasnt a stab at me :P :shady:

YouTube:TheUltimateShade667 for fighting game highlights and speedrunning archives.
Twitch.tv/Shade667 for live speedruns (currently not very active)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:05 pm 

That Clunk rift, GOD! extra slow, damage and duration. I learned to stay away from raelyn! But yes, we best go back as much as possible to heal up instead of sticking around...

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:11 am 

Updated with a link to Micesmack's "Next Steps" Guide, posted above, so that people don't miss it simply because it's on the second page.

Keep the feedback coming! Will try to keep things updated as time goes on (though I might be a wee bit slow at it, heh heh).

I main Lonestar and Coco, though I play a fair amount of just about everyone else.

My youtube channel (still young!). I post Awesomenauts things sometimes!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:56 am 

Sensuma wrote:
That Clunk rift, GOD! extra slow, damage and duration. I learned to stay away from raelyn! But yes, we best go back as much as possible to heal up instead of sticking around...

Obviously you want to be on the field as much as possible, but if you have very low health, it's sometimes better to just RTB, especially if you can buy something in the same trip.

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:43 am 

What are the best characters and builds to use for someone still fairly new to the game?
I've been using yuri and leon intermittently but I don't feel like I'm really getting the hang of either.

For a point of reference I have around 30 games played so I'm aware of the absolute fundamentals of the AA.

"Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone, than in bad company" - John Henry Eden

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:26 am 

John Henry Eden wrote:
What are the best characters and builds to use for someone still fairly new to the game?
I've been using yuri and leon intermittently but I don't feel like I'm really getting the hang of either.

For a point of reference I have around 30 games played so I'm aware of the absolute fundamentals of the AA.

I'd stay away from Yuri as a new player. Leon can be okay, but I probably wouldn't start there either. I'd say Lonestar is probably the most friendly to new players, Coco isn't too bad either.

As far as builds go for Lonestar, I like extra stick, bounce, and DOT or lifesteal on dynamite; damage, explode and slow on bull; damage, damage, and either attack speed or missile on auto-attack; boots, and two of pills, regen, and solar tree for utility row.(probably no need for both regen and lifesteal dynamite, but you'll want one of them.)

Last edited by Durandal7 on Sat May 24, 2014 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:41 am 

Lonestar and froggy are ur best bets for starters.

YouTube:TheUltimateShade667 for fighting game highlights and speedrunning archives.
Twitch.tv/Shade667 for live speedruns (currently not very active)