Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Ezaelia Forest (v3.3)
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:46 am 

The animation editor can do so much. the possibilities are almost limitless. Here is a looping and active animation I made for the flowers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNm2zJ-AS3g

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:01 am 

Custom particles can do some awesome things as well if you havent dabbled with them, and can be used inside animations. Patches of magical-y fireflies and such spring to mind in a forest. Then there are particle forces you can add in animations which can do some downright wizardry

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:11 am 

stev wrote:
Custom particles can do some awesome things as well if you havent dabbled with them, and can be used inside animations. Patches of magical-y fireflies and such spring to mind in a forest. Then there are particle forces you can add in animations which can do some downright wizardry

Particles are a little intimidating right now, but I'm sure I will take a closer look at the options at some point, and hopefully by then someone will have created a section for them in the wiki.

For now, here is another section of the level which is still a work in progress. It's part of a bridge that extends all the way to the opposite side and makes up the top lane. I'm thinking trees and vines make up the ceiling, the bridge is for upper lane, dirt and grass for bottom lane, and underground will be a cave-like room.

I'm learning the importance of keeping a theme when creating level art, for both colors and imagery. You need something that remains consistent across the map like a color scheme, pattern, shape, anything that lets you easily identify the map as its own unique location. For example, in Aiguillon there are many spirals strewn throughout the level, the colors are predominantly red and blue, and there are hieroglyphs that line the floors.

For my map I wanted the primary colors to be purple and yellow, sort of like the thumbnail on the workshop page, but I still need something in the architecture that makes it feel fresh.

https://i.imgur.com/l8bKtL7.jpg

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:56 am 

New Level Tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI6YQ1L86Xw

Looking to release the next update within the next few weeks if all goes well. :thumb:

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:36 am 

It's looking pretty good, I like the idea you had with the cave. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:34 am 

ima be honest and say i only watched, like, the first quarter of your video. drop sequence: cash; grass + 'solar pumpers' + parallax at bottom of drop: cash. also i really like the white stone thing going on even if you said youre gonna tear it out. though it makes me want to play some kinda castle-like game on the map; offense vs. defense or ctf or something (but just a little). and yeah im not necessarily a fan of the jump flowers, but do what you wanna do. (skipping ahead i happend upon the 'o ya frog cant dash thru this jumpad' thing and 1x vote of disapproval but dont mind me :x)

(clouds still delicious enough to eat)

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:16 am 

stev wrote:
and yeah im not necessarily a fan of the jump flowers, but do what you wanna do.

I can interpret that two ways: either you feel neutral on them or you think they detract from the enjoyment. If it's the latter, I will consider "nerfing" them a bit more.

stev wrote:
(skipping ahead i happend upon the 'o ya frog cant dash thru this jumpad' thing and 1x vote of disapproval but dont mind me :x)

I'm open to changing this, but in Frog's case idk if it will matter because the bouncer is too close to the platform so it might actually be impossible for him to dash through. :shrug:

Today, I drew this column... thing.

Post subject: Re: Ezaelia Forest (v3.9)
 Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:53 am 

I only played on this map like, once with a full house. The flowers seemed a bit annoying to use since they were everywhere. Might be better now though since they're in specific spots.

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:09 am 

Finally, after wrestling with this all day, it's starting to look like something nice. I'm pretty happy with it. :clap:

Uiomancant wrote:
I only played on this map like, once with a full house. The flowers seemed a bit annoying to use since they were everywhere. Might be better now though since they're in specific spots.

Feature creep is real, yo. :glasses:
Like Phil Fish said, when something is this close to your face you stop seeing the flaws. I'm trying it out with flowers only at the top of the level.

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:42 pm 

If it doesn't feel good we can put some on the walls and floor. Textures are looking nice as well.