Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: How To: Modding music, launchers and bots for Mac!
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:11 am 
Adminaut

You've no doubt seen Nokos' Launchers, or quite a few Music Packs around the internet, but they often have instructions for installing them on a PC, not for installing them on a Mac.

Installing things on Macsomenauts is a little more difficult, but not impossible. If you need help, then look no further than this guide!

WARNING: While these instructions worked perfectly for me, and they worked for everyone else, you may lose data if you aren't careful. Back up important data before doing anything with Terminal.
It should work fine, just putting that out there to let you know that messing with these things can be dangerous if you aren't careful. Just follow the instructions to the letter and you should be good.

1. Finding the Awesomenauts Directory
Finding the Awesomenauts directory is rather easy, just go
"Users/*username*/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Awesomenauts"...

Wait, what's that? There's no 'Library' in the *username* folder, you say? Well, that's probably because you're on Lion or Mountain Lion, and they hide the Library folder by default (gotta stop people from deleting System32 to unlock god mode on TF2!). So, how do we reveal 'Library' permanently?

1. Open Terminal (that's right, Terminal; don't be scared, now)
  2. Type in 'chflags nohidden ~/Library' (no apostrophes, please), and press enter

That 'should' work. However, if Terminal denies your request (Permission Denied, or somesuch), then input the following into terminal, instead:
'sudo chflags nohidden ~/Library' (once again, no apostrophes)
It will prompt you for an admin password; enter it and you'll unlock your Library folder! Now, you can go back and trace the directory to Awesomenauts' folder.

If you want to hide it again, just put into Terminal 'chflags hidden ~/Library' (again, if it stops you, put 'sudo' before 'chflags' and enter your admin password).

2. Replacing In-Game Music
First, grab your music, and convert it to the .ogg format. There are plenty of ways to do this. I just import the music into Audacity and export it into a .ogg. This conversion is important, for it is the format Awesomenauts' music is in.

Then, go to the Awesomenauts directory. You'll meet face-to-face with a whole bunch of files:
Not a directory in sight. Where's the music? It's hiding.
Right-Click on the 'Awesomenauts' app, and select 'Show Package Contents'. This will open all files tucked away inside the application. Now, go to Contents/Sound. There'll be a few compressed files and a whole heap of '.ogg's.

Now, find the song you want to replace. Here's a list of each song, and what they are in-game:
  • 'MusicCredtLoop.ogg' Music that plays during the credits. Yes, the file name has a typo. :lolstar:
  • 'MusicDemoLoop.ogg' Not quite sure what this is. I do believe it's the music that plays on the 'Buy Now' screen on the console versions of the game, left there for no particular reason. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  • 'MusicIngameBS.ogg' The song "Sirens Before The Storm". Plays in-game when sprees aren't playing.
  • 'MusicIngameCL.ogg' The song "Clunk's Machinery". Plays in-game when sprees aren't playing.
  • 'MusicIngameCN.ogg' The song "Wormhole Surfing". Plays in-game when sprees aren't playing.
  • 'MusicIngameDZ.ogg' The song "Bagpipin' Blastfest". Plays in-game when sprees aren't playing.
  • 'MusicIngameEA.ogg' The song "Eye of Aiguillon". Plays in-game when sprees aren't playing.
  • 'MusicIngameFG.ogg' The song "Interstella Gangsta". Plays in-game when sprees aren't playing.
  • 'MusicIngameLC.ogg' The song "Party at the End of the Universe". Plays in-game when sprees aren't playing.
  • 'MusicIngameMS.ogg' The song "I'll Make You A Star, Baby". Plays in-game when sprees aren't playing.
  • 'MusicIngameOHG.ogg' The song "One Happy Galaxy". Plays in-game when sprees aren't playing.
  • 'MusicIngameSL.ogg' The song "Space, Full Colour". Plays in-game when sprees aren't playing.
  • 'MusicIngameSS.ogg' The song "Spanking Stars". Plays in-game when sprees aren't playing.
  • 'MusicIngameVO.ogg' The song "Gitarren sind AbFab!". Plays in-game when sprees aren't playing.
  • 'MusicIngameYR.ogg' The song "We Will Take You There, Mr. Monkey". Plays in-game when sprees aren't playing.
  • 'MusicJnglLoopX.ogg' The 'jingle' song of every 'Naut, with a slight deviation at the end. Deviation meanings listed below.
  • 'MusicLose.ogg' DEFEAT! This plays when you lose a match.
  • 'MusicMenuLoop.ogg' The Main Menu theme.
  • 'MusicShopLoop.ogg' This plays when you open the shop in-game. You probably don't want to replace this awesome little ditty.
  • 'MusicSpreeX.ogg' The 'killing spree' song of every 'Naut, with a slight deviation at the end. Deviation meanings listed below.
  • 'MusicSpreeTeam.ogg' You know what this is if your team has ever gotten an 'Awesome'. ;)
  • 'MusicStatsLoop.ogg' This plays just after you win or lose a match; it'll play the win or loss theme, then play this.
  • 'MusicTextLoop.ogg' This plays during the tutorial's introductory cinematic.
  • 'MusicWin.ogg' VICTORY! This plays when you win a match.

Replace 'X' with any of the following tags and you have yourself your 'Naut's theme:
  • AY: Ayla
  • BF: Genji
  • CK: Chucho Krokk
  • CL: Clunk
  • CN: Coco
  • DZ: Derpl
  • FG: Froggy G
  • GN: Gnaw
  • IX: Ix (who would've thought)
  • KS: Ksenia
  • LC: Leon
  • LX: The LUX-5000
  • MF: Max Focus
  • NB: Nibbs
  • PF: Penny Fox
  • PY: Professor Yoolip
  • RC: Rocco
  • RL: Raelynn
  • SC: Scoop Of Justice
  • SD: Skolldir
  • SK: Skree
  • SL: Lonestar
  • SW: Swiggins
  • SX: Sentry X-58
  • TP: Ted McPain
  • VO: Voltar
  • VS: Vinnie and Spike
  • YR: Yuri

Found the song you want to replace? Good. Back it up to another folder. Now, rename your song to match the filename of the song you want to replace.
For example, say you want to put customsong.ogg into the game to replace Derpl's Killing Spree. You'll back up 'MusicSpreeDZ.ogg' to another folder, rename 'customsong.ogg' to 'MusicSpreeDZ.ogg', and put it into the Sounds folder. This will replace that song with your new song.

But you're not done yet; Steam will attempt to replace your hard work with the original file again if you go back now. To stop this, right-click your newly-installed song and click 'Get Info'. Then, in the General section, tick the 'Locked' box. This will prevent anything from modifying the file, so Steam can't replace it. Don't forget to untick this box when you want to replace it later!

Now, boot the game up and try it out; your new song should be playing where the old song was located. You can do this with every single song listed above, so have fun and experiment; Steam can easily re-install Awesomenauts if you muck up somewhere. Just stick to the .oggs, though, and you'll be fine.

3. Replacing Launcher Files
First, get your launcher from here, or make your own to fit the dimensions needed (download one of Nokos' as a guide, then modify it to suit your needs).

Go back to the Awesomenauts directory:
Right-click on the AwesomeLauncher and click 'Show Package Contents'. Go to Contents/Resources, and you'll find all the sprites you need to replace in .png format. Back the sprites up, replace what you want to replace, then lock them all (right click, Get Info, General, tick the 'Locked' box).

Now, boot up Awesomenauts, and you should see your brand-new launcher. Don't forget to 'Unlock' the files if you want to replace them in the future!

4. Adding Custom Bots
Download a bot from pretty-much-anywhere (search the modding subforum). Make sure to extract all the bot files from whatever zip or other compressed format your download is in.

Go back to the Awesomenauts directory once more:
Right-click on Awesomenauts and click 'Show Package Contents'. Go to Contents/BehavioursCustom and place all the bot files in there.

Now boot up Awesomenauts and start a custom lobby. Go into the settings and tick 'Load modded A.I.s for bots (if available)'. When you start the custom match, your bots should be there!

5. Conclusion
I hope this helped any Mac users having trouble modding their game. If you spot a mistake or are lost at some point, let me know. :monkey:

Last edited by FishmanDerp on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:09 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: How To: Modding for Mac!
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:36 pm 

How can i book mark this more than once?
I need liek this everywere feck it get this babby stickyed
THANK YOU :leoneyes: :leoneyes: :leoneyes: :leoneyes: :leoneyes:

Reifiui wrote:
Catti is the forumer that we need, but don't deserve

I'm open to art Commissions!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:03 am 

Holy * thanks dude!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am 

Now I can metal while I metal!

Excellent...

FeshmanDirp god amung mun

EldridgeSandokan wrote:
I dont just suck...

I also blow. :rae:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:30 am 

Bump, so more mac users will be able to see this and finally be able to have their favorite music on Awesomenauts.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:46 pm 

Re-favoring this thread since i lost it before :shady:

Reifiui wrote:

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:56 am 

Needs a sticky

I'll play with you as long as your not a jerk, just PM me!
Steam ID: SilverSun!
Please don't be mean, no one likes a jerk-face

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:30 pm 

I think we should ask a mod, like Fishman, to sticky this. :ayla:
No, wait... :aylaroll:

hahahahaha
you're serious aren't you
god dammit

Post Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:02 pm 
Adminaut

Oh, hello old thread. :derp:

Updated it with some new info to reflect the new songs (Spanking Stars, McPain's themes, the 'Awesome' theme). I don't think I missed any songs, but you never know... :leoneyes:

Anyway, I may consider stickying this. I just want to make sure that its not too cluttered up there amongst the other stickies. :P

Post Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:04 pm 

I say sticky it since macs are stupidly compicated ^^

Reifiui wrote: