Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: [SUBMISSION] Ayla - AylaAI V2
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:47 pm 

a update just went up. a few bug fixes and generalAI tweaks so she should play a bit better. and i have implemented hurlybird's facetank fix so she should actually push now. all of my other bots have also been updated.

this is probably going to be the final update for a while(unless a huge, gamebreaking bug is found) as the submission deadline is coming up pretty soon and im starting to suffer from burnout.

Emo Chapington wrote:
Just did some bot-tests with two others (Atrum and Boolerex): and I gotta say this Ayla was actually one of the best AIs I have seen yet :ayla: She managed to outmatch almost everyone in terms of K/D, and set-up so many kills beautifully :party:

If I may make a few criticisms: she is not very good at realising when droids are more relevant than the enemy: sometimes allowing droids to go free (Despite being really close to turret) because an enemy can be seen somewhere nearish. Her general behavior around sawblade droids is also rather sporadic: sometimes going in rage-mode for a tiny amount of time and jumping needlessly.

I also notice that sometimes she stays in rage-mode for a few extra seconds when retreating: even when she could just walk. This is rather important since those few seconds when the rage is maxed out on self-harm could end up being fatal: or how it actually slows her down when she is descending (at one moment she retreated downwards, but didn't un-rage for a moment: she should be a bit faster at this).

I know this last comment sounds a bit absurd: but her Evil Eye aim is maybe a bit too good :drone: it starts coming as slightly unfair because she has incredible aim and seems to never miss, and it might be more enjoyable if we can actually evade this bot's Evil Eye attacks.
My best suggestion would be to allow her a tiny amount of extra difference in the angle: within a small range, based on RNG: thus allowing her to seem a little more human by aiming a tad too high or too low.

Of course, this is my immediate observations: I'll look at some particular scernarios later when I have more time: but for now I think this is pretty good :ayla:

thanks for the feedback! it is really appreciated. :ayla:

about her evil eye aim. if i were to nerf it i would probably only do it on lower difficulty settings. IMO on the highest difficulty the bots should be as good as possible.

thing is though. im not sure how to nerf it. i don't think its possible to change the angle of her aim because AFAIK its only possible to make the bot aim in 4 directions unless you use AimStickAtTarget(which is basically aimbot).

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:11 pm 

If you play with Ayla bot enough (any of the new bots really) you eventually learn to coax their abilities out. For Ayla you can stay right at the edge of her evil eye range, back up a bit when she casts it, and afterwards you're safe(ish) for awhile to punish her. Unless you're Vinnie, the best way to escape her rage is to move vertically downwards (or upwards if you can put a wall between the two of you) or towards other friendlies. Same as with good Ayla players, you don't want to run in a predictable straight line.

With Vinnie, deal as much damage to him as quickly as possible, he'll start using his spike dive to escape. If you have a ranged attack, stay just far enough behind him so that he won't hit you when he spike dives away. Alternatively, if you can withstand bubble-storm for awhile get right in his face so he'll try to spike dive you but end up too far away when he does.

As far as Swiggins goes, stand on the outer edge of his anchor hook range and jump around a lot. Unless you're really fat and slow you should be able to dodge anchor hook this way as bots cannot lead their targets. At higher levels you can't really 1v1 him, but you can stay on the outer edge of his awareness, make him waste his anchor hooks, distract him from pushing, and if you have the right character slowly chip away at him until he's hurt enough to engage safely.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:27 pm 

hurleybird wrote:
With Vinnie, deal as much damage to him as quickly as possible, he'll start using his spike dive to escape. If you have a ranged attack, stay just far enough behind him so that he won't hit you when he spike dives away. Alternatively, if you can withstand bubble-storm for awhile get right in his face so he'll try to spike dive you but end up too far away when he does.

One sec, making this analysis outdated.

Bots I've made:

[In-Game] Derpl viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35642 :drool:

http://imgur.com/5P0Ais3

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:49 pm 

Ok, I ran some tests with Ayla bot. Is she better than the stock bots? DEFINITELY. Leonbot went 1/17, ayla went 14/11.

Is she fun to play against? I'd say so. She's very fluid.

Additional notes: She uses her abilities very well. I would expect that occasionally she would forget to turn rage off or do something stupid, but that never happened.

Shes tends to die a lot, but she gets enough kills to make up for that.

Her cheats might be a bit overboard, but thats good: It provides a challenge for the a**hole league one premades that forcestart against bots. HA, TRY THAT AGAIN.

overall verdict: gr8 bot m8 I r8 8/8

Bots I've made:

[In-Game] Derpl viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35642 :drool:

http://imgur.com/5P0Ais3

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:17 pm 

Hello First time on the forum so please bare with me in a post from Joost wanting more testers on the custom bots I decided to try this one out first along with a gnaw bot, this Ayla bot is amazing however I notice two things that could use some improving, one being on ribbit sometimes she sits behind the tower doing nothing while her teammate (a leon) was under attack by me and another getting killed in the process. The next thing is when their main base is under attack she will hide (max hp) in the shop doing nothing, I feel the bot should go out at all cost to defend the base from losing the game. Like I said before love the bot and it convince me to help everyone out with the bot testing ^_^ now on to my gnaw reviews Good Bye.

Toxin189

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:49 am 

bump
this bot is strong. would like other opinions on whether a bit too strong on not

Frankie3nig has been permabanned by Sony 0

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:49 am 
Adminaut

I did a little bit more testing today (Last-minute test! :chew: ), and I have made some new and some recurring observations:

This Ayla is a beast at brawling with rage and timing EE, especially with that aimbot :derp: However, Ayla is very poor at realising when the droids are pushing and she needs to help out with damaging the turret, instead she almost always goes to find an enemy 'naut instead.

After the turrets are all down, Ayla seems fairly okay at pushing the base, but she still neglects turret pushing.

Ayla is very bad with her use of the AA: I had not found a single time she actually killed or did significant damage with it: this leads to a surprisingly weak late-game (Where a lot of the spare solar starts going into her AA).

At one point, the Ayla was dying to DoT, and rather than killing either of the two health critters she walked past, she just continued searching for a healthpack: she should really just go for the first bit of health available.

At one point, Ayla went up the central jumppad of Ribbit, hit me with EE and killed me on her way up :blabl: perhaps add something so she cannot attack with EE for a brief moment after going up that jumppad (For the duration of the jump, obviously stopping at the point where you slow down, and cancel this time if Ayla interrupts or is interrupted mid-jumppad).

Overall, at brawling: this ayla is absolutely vicious and she is amazingly good at knowing when to back-off (compared to bots, maybe no so great compared to L1 or L2 players), however her lack of pushing and her sometimes rather absurd aimbot attaining those kills rather than a proper fight makes her feel more lackluster than she really is.

Still my favorite AI :thumb:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:57 am 

Emo Chapington wrote:
At one point, Ayla went up the central jumppad of Ribbit, hit me with EE and killed me on her way up :blabl: perhaps add something so she cannot attack with EE for a brief moment after going up that jumppad (For the duration of the jump, obviously stopping at the point where you slow down, and cancel this time if Ayla interrupts or is interrupted mid-jumppad).

mang, skills to pay the bills.
all bots can do something akin to that when taking jump pad

Frankie3nig has been permabanned by Sony 0

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:10 pm 
Adminaut

Dr. DaMan wrote:
mang, skills to pay the bills.
all bots can do something akin to that when taking jump pad

I think we need to make a limiter on that though, when you get a 96-damage burst with a huge amount of slowing, just because I walked into the jungle :think:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:41 pm 

a update just went up. she now prioritizes enemy turrets over enemy nauts. and should now prioritize enemy droids attacking her turret over enemy nauts(most of the time at least). all of my other bots have also been updated.

Emo Chapington wrote:
Ayla is very bad with her use of the AA: I had not found a single time she actually killed or did significant damage with it: this leads to a surprisingly weak late-game (Where a lot of the spare solar starts going into her AA).

isn't her AA considered one of the worst in the game though? i don't see many players doing much with it ether.

Emo Chapington wrote:

damn... those skills :ayla:

i do see many other bots do something like this as well. i have been killed many times by surprise swiggins, gnaw and even leon bots before. so i don't think its an ayla exclusive thing.

even so. im not sure if its even possible to check if you recently used a jumppad so i don't think i could implement something like this.