Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: New difficulty handling for bots
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:01 am 
Ronimo Team Member

CHANGE OF PLANS!

We are going to enable the botlevel upgrades from code. This way we can dynamically add and remove them based on the average league of the players in the match: in leagues 1-3 we will enabled botlevels1+2, in leagues 4-6 we will enabled botlevel1 only, and in the bottom three leagues we will not enable cheats at all.

The functionality that bots only enable their cheats after dying will be removed altogether.

The reason we need to do it this way is that we cannot dynamically change bot skillLevel without running the risk of bot logic breaking as it might not have been made with this in mind.

Please update your bots accordingly (by removing all botlevel cheats from their logic altogether). I imagine not all bot creators will have time to do so today, so I will remove the cheats by hand tomorrow from any bots that have not been updated yet.

I have already removed them from the default FN_Initialization, so you can use that one again if you like.

Post subject: Re: New difficulty handling for bots
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:35 am 

Joost wrote:
We are going to enable the botlevel upgrades from code. This way we can dynamically add and remove them based on the average league of the players in the match: in leagues 1-3 we will enabled botlevels1+2, in leagues 4-6 we will enabled botlevel1 only, and in the bottom three leagues we will not enable cheats at all.

Sounds like a good change. I Never really liked the gaining levels on death part anyway. It's counter intuitive to punish players for getting kills.

After testing the bots with the solar bug removed, I'd err towards enabling all four levels in L1 (if you can't outperform fully enabled bot cheats in L1 you shouldn't be there in the first place), three levels in L2, two levels in L3, one level in L4, and no levels above that as those leagues are, ahem, kind of trash and run a huge risk of performing worse than bots. This also gives a very nice (and easy for players to comprehend) linear progression.

Does this change how bot levels are calculated in practice mode? How about custom matches, which are technically online matches even with only one player?

Post subject: Re: New difficulty handling for bots - UPDATE PLEASE READ!
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:48 am 

alright. i have updated all my bots. are we supposed to get rid of the Coinregen1 upgrade as well?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:55 am 

Veanko wrote:
alright. i have updated all my bots. are we supposed to get rid of the Coinregen1 upgrade as well?

Coinregen1 is Solar Tree's internal name IIRC.

hahahahaha
you're serious aren't you
god dammit

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:58 am 

DarkDXZ wrote:
Veanko wrote:

Coinregen1 is Solar Tree's internal name IIRC.

I think he means if the bots don't have Solar Tree, since I do think that's enabled by default to help bots keep up in level (this isn't why in beta the bots level uber fast btw, that' an issue we've fixed).

Steam
Professional lurker, terrible poster.
A match isn't over until it's over, never give up.
Help me improve Ted McPain bot! His future is ours to decide!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:59 am 

Wellp, there we go
Slipped in that little tweak while no one was looking

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:08 pm 

Glad I left fixing Rae to the last day :lolstar: No work wasted for me~

Laziest botter on this side of the galaxy!