Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: ButterBot - A Genji AI
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:48 pm 

Since the game still doesn't have a Genji bot, and trinary's is still a work-in-progress, I am releasing a Genji bot of my own. ButterBot has performed pretty well in testing and has no serious issues. He is also very good at brawling.

Build

ButterBot uses a brawler build with a greater focus on safety. He gets speed early on to improve escapes and chases.

Download

Veanko wrote:
Ignotis the hedgehog confirmed

STEAM

Last edited by Ignotis on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: ButterBot - A Genji AI
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:42 pm 

Oops! I messed up with Genji's turret checks for state 11, so he never thought he was nearby a friendly turret. That's fixed now.

Veanko wrote:

STEAM

Post subject: Re: [SUBMISSION] ButterBot - A Genji AI
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:10 pm 

ButterBot is now up for submission!

Veanko wrote:

STEAM

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:43 pm 

Don't know if you're taking feedback, but I just wanna say this Genji plays like a human, and sometimes it's even better! He shielded me just when I was about to die to a Rae snipe, saving me from death. Twice.
The pushing from this guy is god-like and I really don't have anything negative to say about this worm.
He may play a bit aggressive, but it isn't really that important to change. Plus, lots of players go in front of a turret to kill 'that low-on-health enemy', right?

Really great job :thumb:

I'm more likely to check on Steam Discussions than here, so if
there's something urgent be sure to report it there.

Yeah, I'm gay

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:58 pm 

Alright, I tested both your genji bot and Trinary's genji at the same time twice, one with your genji on my team and Trinary's on the enemy and vice versa.

Note that all comments unless explicitly stated otherwise are referring to your genji.

AS AN ALLY:

It's hard to make observations as genji was rarely in my observable range: genji tended to avoid action and push undefended lanes. Genji did help damage some turrets while we were occupied in a teamfight, however, but we definitely were struggling in the teamfights and if it weren't for some excellent throws and solid punches I had made (My skolldir game was ON POINT) helping us get an edge and putting the surviving enemy forces on the defensive, we probably would have lost that game. Whenever your genji encountered an enemy in a 1v1 situation, genji tended to die.

AS AN ENEMY:

Genji's threat to our team was minimal. Chasing and killing genji was very easy, as genji would attempt to just run away and not fight back at all (considering how genji is a slower naut, just running doesn't quite cut it for escapes). Genji did use cocoon frequently, but genji failed to act on the cocoon, frequently just cocooning then retreating to a safe space. As a result, most cocoons were not threatening.

CONCLUSIONS:

I do not think this bot would be the best choice for the game, on account of it's passiveness and lack of threat. This bot plays extremely defensively, and having this bot on my team made it harder to win, on account that I had to keep the enemies occupied so thatgenji would feel "safe".

Do not take this review personally, Ignotis. To ensure an unbiased opinion (and to be able to tell the bots apart!), I included a log file into both bots that would reveal who made them after the game was nearing the end (or, when a bot was in the enemy's FINALSTAND), after I had already formed an opinion. This bot is a fair bit worse than Trinary's, which while a bit too aggressive had quite a presence on the battlefield. I don't believe this is an easy fix, and I believe that your time would be better spent maintaining and readying for submission the other bots you've made that I've grown to fear.

OVERALL RATING: 4/10

(EDIT: After seeing KidaFeru's post, it's possible that it was just an unlucky few games of genji as an enemy (It took me multiple tries to get your genji as an ally), I'll try out this bot again if you've updated it.).

Bots I've made:

[In-Game] Derpl viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35642 :drool:

http://imgur.com/5P0Ais3

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:33 pm 

First off, I should probably mention that I know nothing about how bots work and that sort of thing. But I decided to test a few bots and I thought I'd give my feedback.

From what I've seen from ButterBot, he plays alright. I don't know how bad the in-game Genji bot from 2.6 was, so I can't tell if this one is better or not. I'm going to guess that ButterBot is better, since he seems to do pretty well.

I have noticed a few problems with this Genji bot:
    -He seems to have a tendency to run or jump into walls.
    -There was one instance where he was attacking a turret, but he wasn't hitting it because his attack was slightly out of range. Stormdrum was hitting, but it doesn't do anything to turrets. Genji just kept attacking as though he was doing damage to the turret.
    -He sometimes has trouble figuring out where to go and will get stuck for a bit.

For his build, I would suggest that Genji gets at least one of his skills earlier on instead of focusing solely on his autoattack. He should still be able to get an upgrade for his AA if he gets a skill. I think it would be better if he had more tools to use at the start of a game. I would also replace Misfortune Cookies for another Cocoon upgrade. But that's just my opinion. I'm no expert at Genji.

Overall, ButterBot is okay. He does a good job with his autoattack, but I don't think he's up to par with some of the other bots in the game. There's definitely room for improvement.

I'll post more if I find anything else.

In-Training: :ix: :party: :worship:
Alpha Z wrote:
zeg685 wrote:
what's outside?

Everything. Yet at the same time, absolutely nothing.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:14 am 

ButterBot is no longer a submission. He was created in case Trinary's bot didn't turn out to be ready for inclusion in the game, but Trinary did an excellent job and exceeded expectations. Ronimo is wasting their time comparing the two. Congratulations, Trinary.

Veanko wrote:

STEAM

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:30 am 
Ronimo Team Member

During our internal testing your Genji bot actually did well and definitely better than trinary's. Based on the comments by AcetheAlien and TheMesp and on that you have pulled back this bot, we will not be including it in 2.11.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:55 pm 

^^^
No worries. Trinary deserves to get a bot in the game, and testing shows that this one is anything but consistent. Given the state of AI modding, Trinary should be able to fix his issue pretty easily. It sure was an easy fix for Scoop! If Trinary likes, he can feel free to copy the retreating logic from my Voltar bot or work with me personally. Good luck, Trinary!

Veanko wrote:

STEAM