Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: AI vs AI matches ?
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:52 pm 

Hi, we are a group student working on an AI project for our studies, and we are considering working with on custom AIs for Awesomenauts.

Our ideal goal would be to have matches of two AI teams against each other, as we are two teams working on it, the idea would be to have our AIs competing against each other.

However, It does not seem clear if it is actually possible to do it, that's why I'm asking here for explanations.

First of all, it does not appear to be possible to have only full AI teams, at least one human player looks required. I guess we could work around this by putting a human player doing nothing in each team and changing it into a 2 AI vs 2 AI game.

It would also mean we need to ensure that AI 1 is used for red team and AI 2 is used for blue team. Given the online docs I found, I don't really see if it is possible, and if it is how to do it.

Would our project be actually doable ? (It would be Awesome if yes !), or should we search for an other game more suited to AI vs AI battles ?

Post subject: Re: AI vs AI matches ?
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:10 pm 

You're correct in that only 2v2s can be done, unfortunately. It might be possible to make a 3v3 with the spawnCharacter block in an ai, but that would require a lot of tinkering about. As well, when you have a lot of custom AIs it is difficult to get exact teams, may require a lot of reloading until you get the right combo. But, I think this is a great game for AI modding! Modding's a lot of fun, and with the debugger, you can watch games unfold while keeping tabs on the ai's pathfinding, booleans, state, messages sent, etc. I'd recommend it.

Bots I've made:

[In-Game] Derpl viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35642 :drool:

http://imgur.com/5P0Ais3

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:54 pm 

As Mesp said, this is totally possible. The only limitations I can think of is that you would not be able to view kills/solar for certain bots and would need to use metaprogramming for certain tasks if you hope to finish this in time at all (provided you are looking for 100% fair matches).

Contrary to what Mesp said, it is possible to decide exactly what different teams are composed of. Just have your spawner bot (the game manager) be the only one to have a file using the Mod_Classname_XXXX.xml naming scheme. All other bots should be named in the format, Mod_XXXX.xml. The spawner bot can then use the class feature of spawnCharacter to decide exactly which class each bot should spawn as. If you use this method, keep in mind that there should only be one bot per team. Otherwise, you'll have other bots, which should not be there, spawned by the game.

EDIT: If you do have success with this, please do publish your spawner bot files. A lot of the modders here would benefit from being able to run automated tests using all-bot matches.

Veanko wrote:
Ignotis the hedgehog confirmed

STEAM

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:38 am 

Ignotis wrote:
As Mesp said, this is totally possible. The only limitations I can think of is that you would not be able to view kills/solar for certain bots and would need to use metaprogramming for certain tasks if you hope to finish this in time at all (provided you are looking for 100% fair matches).

Contrary to what Mesp said, it is possible to decide exactly what different teams are composed of. Just have your spawner bot (the game manager) be the only one to have a file using the Mod_Classname_XXXX.xml naming scheme. All other bots should be named in the format, Mod_XXXX.xml. The spawner bot can then use the class feature of spawnCharacter to decide exactly which class each bot should spawn as. If you use this method, keep in mind that there should only be one bot per team. Otherwise, you'll have other bots, which should not be there, spawned by the game.

EDIT: If you do have success with this, please do publish your spawner bot files. A lot of the modders here would benefit from being able to run automated tests using all-bot matches.

A single problem with this is, I think when you spawn characters, the replay file is bugged and will crash the game.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:19 am 

FlawlessHair wrote:
will crash the game.

Aaaaannnddd...pop goes the bubble :drone:

Veanko wrote:
Ignotis the hedgehog confirmed

STEAM

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:21 am 

Ignotis wrote:
FlawlessHair wrote:
will crash the game.

Aaaaannnddd...pop goes the bubble :drone:

You can still be a Leon watching the game... From far away...

We could also hope that Ronimo fixes the issue...

Last edited by FlawlessHair on Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:53 am 

spawnCharacter is a good idea to make 3v3 possible,I think what needs attention is that bots spawned are treated as 'creep' instead of 'players'

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:54 am 

ParkZ wrote:
spawnCharacter is a good idea to make 3v3 possible,I think what needs attention is that bots spawned are treated as 'creep' instead of 'players'

Exactly.
That's one of the problems.

I actually spent the rest of my night on making BotvBot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGPUU5498XM

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcbz74cb458ve ... 2.rar?dl=0

How to use this version:
Play Leon and go invisible. Try to stay away from fights.
Either be 2 human players, or 1 single.
If 2:
- Stay on each team
- Load Custom AIs and set maximum amount of bots to 2.

If 1:
- Stay on each team
- Load Custom AIs and set maximum amount of bots to 2.
- If there's a lonestar on your team, retry. The lonestar is the idle-bot.

Cons with my version:
- Cannot pick up solar
- Cannot pick up health packs
- They treat every naut as creeps. Not players!
- Does not take turret solar in account.

Pros with my version:
- Has correct respawn times.
- Keeps solar after death
- Is simple and only requires a little bit of modding knowledge. (I could make a guide, but right now it's so alpha that I won't do it)

So eh.. OP!
You can choose to work from my version, or create your own.
I can confirm that it is doable now.
But I can also confirm that there WILL be problems ^_^

How my version works:
Each team has a GameMaster (Froggy).
At the beginning of a match, the GM spawns 3 spawners (Lonestar).
Spawner_1.
Spawner_2.
Spawner_3.
Those 3 spawners then spawn the desired bots from the file "Mod_BotvBot_SpawnCharacter". (These can be editted easily)
The spawners will detect when their own bot dies (Only works with 3 characters, at the moment). If it does, it'll toggle the respawn timer file, and respawn when the time is out.
When they spawn a character it checks what kind of gold income there has been done.
Then it adds that to the spawned character, in form of messages. (Here I think I did something wrong).

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:02 am 

Oh, thanks a lot for all your answers. :D

We'll think about all this together to see what we'll do.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:35 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

FlawlessHair wrote:
... I think when you spawn characters, the replay file is bugged and will crash the game.

Is this still the case? Replays should of course never crash so if this still happens, I should look into it!