Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Replay encoding requests
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:16 pm 

So after working some more with the replay files and especially the two XML files, I have two requests:
  • For some reason, Chatlog.info is encoded in UTF-8 whereas Replays.info in Windows CP. Could you encode all of your XML files in UTF-8? Decoding from Windows code pages is a pain because it's different on every machine.
  • Chatlog.info is basically a dump of the ingame chat enriched with some XML tags. However, trying to match a text message to a specific players is cumbersome, error-prone and not reliable. Currently, I have to search for the player name of the chat entry in the Replays.info - RTDM and players with the same name break this name matching.
  • Is it intentional that the map name in Replays.info is still the same for Sorona after 2.10? If I recall correctly, it stayed at "Multiplayer4".

Post subject: Re: Replay encoding requests
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:37 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

I don't really see the point of these requests: these files work fine in the game, are easy to read for a human and easy enough to parse for a computer if you know how to handle text formats.

Sorona indeed remained Multiplayer4. The game uses different assets for that name if the replay version is older.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:58 pm 

Maybe some thoughts to clarify:
The encoding of Replays.info is more of a nice-to-have feature, because having a non-UTF-8 encoding just makes things more complicated but one can work around that (as you said). (And I'm not sure why it's not UTF-8. Maybe cause of client encoding with more special characters like Japanese or Russian letters?)

You are also correct that you can match chat messages and players in normal games. This works, because the tuple (team, player name, player class) must be unique for every player. However, this uniqueness requirement is not given in custom games with special settings.
The two settings that break this property are "Random Naut on death" and "Allow same Naut on a team" because the played Naut does not stay the same. The tuple (team, player name) is obviously not unique if you have two players with the same name in the same team.

Ideally my goal is to parse both the Awesomenauts log files and the replays to create a game database containing all the information found, i.e. Players, Awesomenauts, stats (like kills, deaths, rating), chat messages and so on.

Last edited by r0estir0bbe on Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:38 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

I have never encountered several players in a match with the same name. In theory this can happen but in practice it is so insanely rare that you are likely to never encounter it, so just ignoring such matches probably solves it well enough.