Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: No-Death Practice Mode
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:22 pm 

Hello,

I'm longing for a practice mode where you don't die and get send to the drop pod. Instead either your health resets or the match jumps back 10 seconds in time. The idea is to be able to practice playing very aggressively without the punishment of waiting after each death. I think this allows players to practice their characters much better as it allows you to replay engagements and see if an alternative reaction might have gotten you the kill.

Please tell me if something like this exists and if not then give me an idea where I have to start to make it possible. I have the programming knowledge of a first year Computer Science student.

We fight for a world without Blind where Nauts can teamfight freely. We stand united and make our voices heard. :rocco: This way, we can make Nauts a better game for our children. :jimmy: Fight the good fight. :ix: Remove Blind from the game. :thumb:

Post subject: Re: No-Death Practice Mode
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:00 pm 

You mean a mode where bots die, but the single player don't?

I believe you could use ASM. Not sure exactly how, but I bet it's possible.

In my opinion, you won't be practicing anything with that mode. All you'll do is be in the enemies' face. It'll be amusing for a short period, and then it'll get boring.
It's like enabling God-mode.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:49 pm 

What is ASM?

We fight for a world without Blind where Nauts can teamfight freely. We stand united and make our voices heard. :rocco: This way, we can make Nauts a better game for our children. :jimmy: Fight the good fight. :ix: Remove Blind from the game. :thumb:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:38 pm 

Samsonite58 wrote:
What is ASM?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31044&hilit=ASM

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:56 pm 

Great, thank you. I will start a serious approach of doing this in between september and october. Are there any other resources, you can refer me to on the topic of how to modify this game?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:31 pm 

Samsonite58 wrote:
Great, thank you. I will start a serious approach of doing this in between september and october. Are there any other resources, you can refer me to on the topic of how to modify this game?

You mean other kinds of programs?

You can use the AI editor. But it is mostly made for creating bots and not actually modifying the game.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:38 pm 

I read the introductory post to ASM on the link you provided. I was asking if there is a full documentation of the ASM editor existing? Also, who do I bug with specific questions? And one specific question: Is it possible to mod the game with ASM so you can jump back in time with a button press? Like, let's say, you died, you press "r" for rewind and jump back 15 seconds.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:13 pm 

Samsonite58 wrote:
I read the introductory post to ASM on the link you provided. I was asking if there is a full documentation of the ASM editor existing? Also, who do I bug with specific questions? And one specific question: Is it possible to mod the game with ASM so you can jump back in time with a button press? Like, let's say, you died, you press "r" for rewind and jump back 15 seconds.

For your question: I doubt it.

I believe you can make a thread in this forum section. There are some guys around here who are more experienced with ASM. Not sure how often they're online.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:23 am 

To everyone who has knowlefge about ASM,

I understand that the ASM editor stores all kinds of game variables that you can manipulate. Is there possibly an entry of a variable that stores the game state? I wanna do something like:

if (health == 0 || rewind button == pressed)
gameState = gameState - 15 seconds;

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:34 am 

Nope, you are never going to be able to do something like that. The game neither saves previous states, nor has mechanisms in place to reverse calculate back to a previous state. Sure, there are replays but those only save the bare minimum information needed to create a replay. Implementing the kind of system you're thinking about would actually involve a ton of work.