Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Suggestions and a question for the Level Editor
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:55 pm 

Could you guys add a custom music option to it?
There's plenty of map ideas out there that could probably be made even better if you could import specific songs for the map.

Or if that's too complex, could you add an option to make it so only a specific song in the soundtrack plays on the map? (Kinda like how Starstorm Station was originally gonna have its own song) So this way players can at least mod their own songs in for the map.

Also, are we able to make custom neutral creeps? Or are we limited to the already existing ones?

And ADD SLOPES! :rocco:

Post subject: Re: Suggestions and a question for the Level Editor
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:48 am 
Adminaut

Skip wrote:

Can the platforming and 'physics' engine actually use slopes? As far as I know that'd likely have some slightly unusual effects.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:20 am 

I remember one time on a dev stream where they actually had working slopes and were testing out interactions with them. They canned slopes because it's too hard for them to properly implement them into the game, I guess.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:24 am 
Adminaut

kathy wrote:
I remember one time on a dev stream where they actually had working slopes and were testing out interactions with them. They canned slopes because it's too hard for them to properly implement them into the game, I guess.

Interesting. I honestly would have expected slopes to freak out how collisions work and form like a rapid backwards trampoline :lolstar: Essentially making it impossible to stand on them at all.

I suppose one of the key issues with slopes is many characters are impacted by height change. Especially characters such as Skolldir who can't even point up or down, or Chucho on Ramona who has to slowly climb vertically and can only shoot dead horizontally.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:51 am 

Skip wrote:
Could you guys add a custom music option to it?
There's plenty of map ideas out there that could probably be made even better if you could import specific songs for the map.

Or if that's too complex, could you add an option to make it so only a specific song in the soundtrack plays on the map? (Kinda like how Starstorm Station was originally gonna have its own song) So this way players can at least mod their own songs in for the map.

Also, are we able to make custom neutral creeps? Or are we limited to the already existing ones?

Oh god oh god, custom music with custom levels just screams "lel guys I made a map..." *PICTURES OF RICK ASTLY EVERYWHERE WITH NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP AT +500 dB playing*
I suppose quality content could also be produced though, and would like to see steam workshop implementations possibly in some manner :ayla: .

As for slopes, the engine "technically" could produce optimal results, but as emo stated the collision detections would be weird and the animations might be off-skelter and such, and it would have to be fine tuned. Joost's dev blogs demonstrate how they got trails to work, so I can imagine a similar effect should, in theory, also be able to be applied with physical objects and using tons of triangulation to create a stand-able curve with a descent slope, or at the very least tons of small boxes rendered to create a slope-like curvature structure. This should probably only be a custom-map / level editor feature though, because slopes in a MOBA stage / arena could lead to some really cheap stacking of damage / jukes and would change a lot of the way nauts function and play, assuming higher altitude slopes reduce movement speed more or something similar following physics laws.

All hail Nekomian. :worship:

Devmon52 wrote:
Voltar: is a moving breadstick of death

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:58 am 
Adminaut

Nekomian wrote:
As for slopes, the engine "technically" could produce optimal results, but as emo stated the collision detections would be weird and the animations might be off-skelter and such, and it would have to be fine tuned. Joost's dev blogs demonstrate how they got trails to work, so I can imagine a similar effect should, in theory, also be able to be applied with physical objects and using tons of triangulation to create a stand-able curve with a descent slope, or at the very least tons of small boxes rendered to create a slope-like curvature structure. This should probably only be a custom-map / level editor feature though, because slopes in a MOBA stage / arena could lead to some really cheap stacking of damage / jukes and would change a lot of the way nauts function and play, assuming higher altitude slopes reduce movement speed more or something similar following physics laws.

Firstly, incremental and tiny blocks only works if the engine already has a way to handle "step over a tiny ledge", otherwise you'd never be able to walk up the slope.

Secondly, it doesn't inherently have to change your horizontal speed depending on the mechanics. Anyone familiar with Xenoblade might be aware of the rather funny effect with jumping up a slope makes you plain glide upwards with the same constant horizontal motion while it tries to maintain your jump height above the slope as you move. In essence, you essentially move faster up and down slopes than across horizontal planes, as your horizontal speed would always be the same regardless of vertical motion. (to be clear, in Xenoblade I believe this only happens if you're mid-jump. No idea why, but it's endlessly fun)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:17 am 

Emo Chapington wrote:
Firstly, incremental and tiny blocks only works if the engine already has a way to handle "step over a tiny ledge", otherwise you'd never be able to walk up the slope.

Secondly, it doesn't inherently have to change your horizontal speed depending on the mechanics. Anyone familiar with Xenoblade might be aware of the rather funny effect with jumping up a slope makes you plain glide upwards with the same constant horizontal motion while it tries to maintain your jump height above the slope as you move. In essence, you essentially move faster up and down slopes than across horizontal planes, as your horizontal speed would always be the same regardless of vertical motion. (to be clear, in Xenoblade I believe this only happens if you're mid-jump. No idea why, but it's endlessly fun)

I'm assuming the blocks would have a distributed height and the physics engine would have to allow movement along certain thresholds of heights in this instance (i.e. y coordinates of 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, and so forth but more precisely detailed ofc).

I mean, I was assuming it would be weird if a naut just walked straight up a slope like it was horizontal plane :ayla: . It doesn't have to no, but it would look hella weird if it didn't apply normal curvature physics movements lol.

All hail Nekomian. :worship:

Devmon52 wrote:
Voltar: is a moving breadstick of death

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:43 am 

battle of the downs

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:58 am 

In Fabian's messing around stream way back from almost a year ago, he accidentally made working slopes. Well, almost working. You could smoothly walk up them, Lonestar's bouncy-mite actually bounced up them, but Hyper Bull couldn't go up. That got stuck. It was also a bit glitchy, with the bouncy-mite sometimes pinging off in random directions for no reason. Also, it was extremely system-intensive.

It was made with tiny little collision blocks, and at one point had bounce pads with next-to-no power helping you up. Or something, I can't remember the specifics. Basically it was a Frankenstein's Monster of things that weren't supposed to be. I think the end consensus was that if they ever wanted a sloping map, they'd program actual slopes.

With a big, robotic ass :chew:

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:08 am 
Adminaut

stev wrote:
battle of the downs

Stev, this post is extremely inappropriate and highly unnecessary.
I suggest you reconsider your words next time as this sort of inconsiderate posting will not be tolerated if repeated.
Further action may be taken at a later time if deemed appropriate, however no action shall be taken at time of writing.