Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Level editor contest rules
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:37 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Setting a submission period and subsequent deadline for voting resolves those issues entirely; it is why the model is so widely used.

At any rate, there will need to be resubmissions to the Workshop to conform with the "(contest)" header requirement, so you can tell exactly who is participating. Failing that, pre-existing mods could rename themselves accordingly, which would reduce the clutter, although it would not help the upvotes issue.

I m not sure exactly how the number of upvotes will be determined, given that (as far as I know) only the collective rating can be seen, inclusive of both the positives and negatives.

Any benefit, no matter how numerically small, makes a difference, which defeats the point of it being judged by votes in the first place. Teamwall Madness, for example, has 117 ratings at time of writing, with four stars: hardly insignificant.

I also do not see why submissions should be editable once submitted: surely the most popular ones would have their mechanics recycled for additional appeal?

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:43 am 

I kinda do agree with Lord Protector on this one. All that need be done is add the (Contest) suxif to the name and Boom! The maps that have been developing and growing in popularity by views on Steam and by word of mouth have a strong lead with only 9 keyboard strokes and a click. Personally, I really think that that's incredibly discouraging to people who have yet to make a map but are interested in going for the #1 spot in this contest but being completely and totally overshadowed by maps that were made for the sake of creating maps that got votes months before the contest started, rather than their map made for the sake of the contest.

Ronimo's side doesn't want people who work really hard on a map to feel left out just because they uploaded it a day or two before the competition. I agree that putting your heart and soul into something just to have it be disqualified because it's a day early is incredibly frustrating.

Lastly, can I please get a definition of what an upvote is in the Steam workshop? I don't know if it's rating, that thumbs up, thumbs down thing or what. All I know is that I can't find it for beans, meaning knowing how many upvotes your map has in relation to other maps is difficult and hinders your potential strategies. Can Devs see upvotes? Because if so, I think I have a compromise that solves both of these issues.

TLDR: I agree to both the idea that the ability to change a map's title that already has crap tons of popularity and the idea that a map uploaded a day early that someone's heart and soul was put into both REALLY suck. If devs can confirm that they can see upvotes, I may have a solution to both issues at once.

I'm not sure what I think about this. :think:

Winner of the Awesomenauts Guide Contest

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:32 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Diz Hydron wrote:
... Lastly, can I please get a definition of what an upvote is in the Steam workshop? I don't know if it's rating, that thumbs up, thumbs down thing or what. All I know is that I can't find it for beans, meaning knowing how many upvotes your map has in relation to other maps is difficult and hinders your potential strategies. Can Devs see upvotes? Because if so, I think I have a compromise that solves both of these issues. ...

An upvote means clicking the thumbs up icon. Devs can see upvotes for all maps.

I actually kind of like if people can't see all the upvotes of all the maps: it keeps certain abusive campaigning actions from working. At real government elections you also don't know the result until everyone has voted.

The Lord Protector wrote:
... Any benefit, no matter how numerically small, makes a difference, which defeats the point of it being judged by votes in the first place. Teamwall Madness, for example, has 117 ratings at time of writing, with four stars: hardly insignificant. ...

Teamwall Madness won't be entering since it was made by a Ronimo dev. Same for Sorona Express, Lonestar Bootcamp, Skull Station, AwesomeCUBE and Normandy. The highest number of upvotes any non-Ronimo map has right now is 49 I think, so quite a bit less than the 117 you mentioned. It's still not insignificant, but it's not insurmountable either.

I agree that it would be better if no one had a starting advantage, but disqualifying existing mods also sucks. A solution would be to let existing mods duplicate the mod so that there's a fresh version with 0 votes, but that also sucks since it produces a lot of clutter in the Workshop.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:21 pm 

I really think we need some sort of fair playing field for votes especially when most of the general playerbase won't even be aware this competition is even happening. I'm teaming up with two other people so we can make a great map together for the competition but I don't think we'll be finished for a few weeks to come. Meanwhile, the map I've made by myself has been sitting in the workshop for a while gathering subs+ratings simply because more people have glanced over it and it's had its time on the front page - this goes for other maps too like the beach, volcano, moonrush, okeanos etc.If we put our map up 1-2 weeks before the deadline there's no way in hell we'll be able to get these upvotes.

I think something like simple facebook polling would be best, however there might be too many entries to choose from so I don't know how you'd ween the amount of results down. A voting system where we all start on the same amount of votes really needs to happen otherwise this isn't a contest, rather "the oldest maps on workshop win".

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:04 pm 

I'm the minority I guess, but I'm cool with this voting system. My map may or may not even make the cutoff since it still has a ways to go before publicly publishing and I'm ok with that, simply because of the honorable mention award.

I think the honorable mention award is truly fair because it's up to the devs to hand out. Everyone should just make that their goal (except the true goal is for people to create awesome stuff for us to play right?!?!?!). The #1 spot will be a difficult thing to achieve regardless of how "fair" the voting system is, there's a LOT of competition.

:thumb:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:36 pm 

I totally agree with the fact that old maps should be able to be used for the contest but that's unfair when it comes to voting. For instance, I could just add "contest" to one of my old map and I would already start with 40+ upvotes. I think to give everyone the same chance it would be great to do a poll with top maps a few days before the end of the contest.

Replay finder

More tools here!

:tongue: :party:

Last edited by Blatoy on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:13 pm 

Joost wrote:
No voting system on the internet is safe from abuse.

it's so cute of you to suddenly pretend that you care

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:38 pm 

Ronimo - ETA of prizes for honorable mentions/winner? I assume the badges will be when 4.0 launches, but not sure when the skins will be sent out?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:54 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Hi Belozey, the icons should be available in-game right now. Once you unlock a medal slot, it should be one of the medals you can select. If you don't have it, give me a shout!

For the skins, I'll have to gather up email addresses for the winners and with all the 4.0 chaos going on right now I haven't been able to get round to that. Could you drop me a line at robin@ronimo-games.com so I at least know how to reach you?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:36 pm 

Robin wrote:
Could you drop me a line at robin@ronimo-games.com so I at least know how to reach you?

Done, thanks!