Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Ezaelia Forest (v3.9)
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:52 am 

WORKSHOP PAGE <==

MY GOAL with this map is to create something that feels very balanced, and would fit right in with the current map rotation. When complete, it will be fully textured with custom art made by yours truly. I aim to improve on the map designs from the standard ronimo maps, taking what we know about them and sifting through the bad designs while retaining the good ones and adding on top of them. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither are good maps.

FEATURES
1) The main level-feature is a button that releases a torrent of fire which reaches from top lane to just above the droids on bottom lane. If held too long, the button will get hot and you'll start to take damage too.

2) Flowers that hang from the ceiling which stop you for a very brief period and restore your jumps. These can help characters with basic jump mechanics and mostly get in the way of everyone else.

3) Two hide areas in the ceiling of the jungle which can be used in a variety of ways.

4) 5 total health orbs.

5) 6 total creeps, 4 of which are accessible to both teams from the start of the game.

6) An extra set of team-only jump pads above the top-rear turret which can be used in strategic ways.

7) 1 gold solar cube in the center of the level.

8) A number of bouncers which help all characters get higher.

9) Working AI.

10) ZERO moving platforms.

VIDEOS

v3.9 Level Tour with commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI6YQ1L86Xw

Using the flowers to chase a flying enemy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fChK3uKWJK4

v3.0 Level Tour with commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzSTZSp9Di4

v2.5 Level Tour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHCQVzYSTJ4

v2.3 Level Tour with commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS0mx4n3Was

v1.4 Level Tour with commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X_oaK2FZg0

v1.0 Level Tour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYcokHlSWaU

CHANGE LOG

v3.9
-Removed all jump flowers except at the top of the map
-Reworked jungle
-Added platforms for hide areas and made bouncers in the middle accessible from hide areas
-Reworked platforms and health orb locations
-Pushed bottom-front turrets further apart
-Added trenches around the bottom-rear turrets

v3.3 The (final layout update)(jk I lied)
-Raised ceilings quite a bit and reduced the number of flowers (to make air mobility easier)
-Removed the poison gas mechanic (2 unique mechanics is good enough for a map)
-Cleaned up terrain and reworked platforms

v3.1
-Added helpful info in the landing area to explain the features of the level
-Added a visual timer on the button platform to indicate when the button will get hot
-Removed the large hide area at the top
-When someone occupies the hide area, the nearby statue's eyes will glow
-Added level art for the gas vents, and they also take up a little space now
-Reworked the ceilings a bit and pushed them higher
-Dressed the landing area with more basic textures

v3.0
-Reduced hot-button triggering time from 4 seconds to 3 seconds
-Raised the ceilings to accommodate fliers and high jumpers
-Raised the top-rear turrets to where the hide areas used to be and removed the hide areas
-Created a setup with bouncers to get droids to upper lane without reworking the level
-Removed the horizontal gas vents in the jungle and added a second set of vertical gas vents to create a "trap" when they activate. Added another gas vent in top lane to add interest
-Added hide areas at each end of the jungle
-Increased the number of health packs
-Moved the creep in top lane down to the same level as the other one
-Pushed the front turrets and bottom-rear turret back to allow more room to play early game
-Pushed the first team-walls back to open up the level
-Redid the Ai nodes and named areas to keep bots up to date

v2.7
-Changed the damage setting of the gas vents so they hurt a lot more
-Gave the teamwalls an animation
-Applied more standard textures to the each base
-Updated the nodes/named areas so bots can work again

v2.6
-Added way more bouncey flowers
-Brought the top-back turret and base forward to compress the level even further
-Altered droppod pattern slightly
-Reduced hot-button triggering time from 4.5 to 4 seconds
-Moved the hide area that was near base up above top turret and made it cover the ceiling (need to playtest this)

v2.5
-Removed most of the hide areas and scaled down the remaining ones
-Removed the 2 bouncers up top to make it harder to push
-Turned the 2 bouncers in the middle toward the center for more accessiblity to top
-No more moving platforms
-New mechanic: Hot Button. The button that activates the flames will now get hot and hurt you if you hold it too long
- New mechanic: Ezaelia Flowers. These curious flowers that grow in the forests of Ezaelia have the strange property of restoring your jumping ability
-Gave the gas vents a warning before they go off
-Added a second set of team-based bouncers in front of the top-rear turrets
-Added another creep spawn in top lane and moved around healthpacks
-Compressed the map to vertically & horizontally

v2.3
-New gas vents in the jungle area (they're time-based and currently don't have a warning)
-Ironed out the terrain, making many parts flatter
-The whole level was squished slightly
-New jump pads behind top-front turrets that aim backward
-Jump pad in mid was moved to jungle and puts you behind your bottom turret
-Various other terrain, solar, and pathing changes and a few animations

v2.1
-Reworked parts of the level
-Jump pads at base now point upward and shoot you above top turret
-Solar coins added, plus improved droppod solar
-New bush-style hide areas in the bottom lane behind second turret
-Got rid of moving platforms that carried droids, less janky mechanics
-Placed down a ton of AI nodes and gave them names
-Cut down on the number of creeps in the jungle
-Most of the named areas are now covered

v1.45 At last, got droids to push both lanes at the same time. It took some reworking of the level to accomplish. Super droids now spawn as they normally do when a turret dies. The level was compressed from the top slightly to give a more up-close and personal feeling and the jungle ceiling went up a tad. The fire area was adjusted so that it's no longer as much of a choke point, and a health pack was added in the middle. Also there is now a team wall above the top-rear turrets that can fall.

v1.4 Droppods will now spawn you in the correct position. Droids can now access top lane... but at the cost of accessing bottom lane. New hide areas added in the top-center and on top of the health pack above the back turret. Droids no longer drop through the floor on bottom lane. Team walls now behave correctly and will disappear as turrets go down. The button in the center is now delayed by 0.3 seconds but does way more damage. Many more environment tweaks to make traversal more fun.

v1.0 - Layout is complete. Droppods will spawn you under the level unless you hug the wall. Droid waves need to be completelly redone, solar coins need to be added, AI pathing nodes need to be reworked. The Button in the center works and very fun to use though.

Last edited by Luckytime on Sat May 19, 2018 9:43 am, edited 64 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:20 pm 

GALLERY
(PRO TIP - view each image in a separate tab and use Ctrl + Pg Up/Pg Dn to see the progression)

C O P A C E T I C LOCKED

The Aesthetic Layout LOCKED

The Immaculate Layout LOCKED

The Polished Layout
The Refined Layout
The Mediocre Layout
The Shabby Layout
The Conceptual Layout

Last edited by Luckytime on Sat May 19, 2018 11:34 am, edited 76 times in total.

Post subject: Re: My Unnamed Map (Conceptual Drawing)
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:42 pm 

Luckytime wrote:
...I haven't yet figured out how to clear the various boundaries (death boundary, replay camera, deathmatch camera, etc.)

Click on the gear icon (settings), you can change the boundary sizes/positions for those. I think you can hide them with the red & blue box icon, but I'm not positive

Luckytime wrote:
- Also how do I change my character from Lonestar during editing?

IIRC, before opening your mod, if you go to custom game > settings, set it to random naut on respawn, then go into your mod and kill your character with the F4 AI debugger, or just die. You should have a random naut on respawn.

Luckytime wrote:
- Here's an important question: How can I select an anchor when stretching/squashing an object? I don't want to have to keep repositioning it.

I don't think this is possible at the moment, from what I remember Joost saying. Others have requested this feature. One helpful thing though, is to set your scale to only X or Y, so you dont accidentally scale it in the direction you don't want to. For instance, if you want to scale something up and down, you would disable the "X" icon, and it will only scale in Y.

Post subject: Re: My Unnamed Map (Conceptual Drawing)
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:04 pm 

b-lozey wrote:
Click on the gear icon (settings), you can change the boundary sizes/positions for those. I think you can hide them with the red & blue box icon, but I'm not positive

Ok I just entered 0 for all values on the "arena" one.
b-lozey wrote:
I don't think this is possible at the moment, from what I remember Joost saying. Others have requested this feature. One helpful thing though, is to set your scale to only X or Y, so you dont accidentally scale it in the direction you don't want to. For instance, if you want to scale something up and down, you would disable the "X" icon, and it will only scale in Y.

Ah bummer, the X/Y lock is very useful no doubt, and the entire tool is super user friendly from the get-go, but I do hope they keep improving it. The ability to select an anchor would speed up my process by 50% or more.
b-lozey wrote:
IIRC, before opening your mod, if you go to custom game > settings, set it to random naut on respawn, then go into your mod and kill your character with the F4 AI debugger, or just die. You should have a random naut on respawn.

Thanks for the tip!

Post subject: Re: Ezaelia Forest (Conceptual Drawing)
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:10 pm 

Here's a progress picture, I used Photoshop to overlay Ribbit onto my level, and I'm slowly replacing features using the spacing in the juxtaposed picture as a guide. It's a slow process but fun!

Edit: moved the picture to the top.

Post subject: Re: Ezaelia Forest (Prototype) Help Needed!
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:02 pm 

#2979N880 for a convinient replay of my experience and very little commentary:
the level design is neat, the jungles look big and great for teamfights and remind me of ribbit or aiguillion but without the weird ledges around center stage, however I'm not sure about teleporting straight into the drill since you can get initiated in the second it takes to regain control over your character instead of getting right back into the walled healing shop, it feels kinda out of place but I get the idea, what about giving the shop the constant effect of increasing everyone's movement speed by 100% for 0.2 seconds or so, that might work better.
other than the apparently obvious clipping through the ground on the spawn area, the weird route the lower lanes take (drop from the ledge instead of go straight forward unless the action is canceled) the lack of an upper lane, nauts not being able to walk through their drill's team wall, team walls not dissapearing when their respective drills get destroyed and so on, I feel as though this map is way too good for some of the starstorm nauts/hovering or flying nauts
:voltarroll: :aylaroll: :huh: :sleep: :facepalm: :tear: :think:.
namely its that it feels as though they have way too much control of the upper lane area. some nauts just disable the button entirely allowing them to do way more work for the agressor in this map than it would do on sorona by putting mines or snares on top of the worm. the bumpers are pretty much safe spots for nauts like skree or voltar meaning they can just hover on top of them and tp without being endangered on a plethera of matchups, maybe putting the bumper a little bit higher from where they are might help fix this problem, then in lower lane its way too easy to disrupt the droid's route by just putting a bull or a totem on top of any of the platforms.
I think the map needs some more stray solar to insentivise walking around the lanes like in most maps, but maybe having a bit more of solar than the average legal map because the map is really big. I like it and I think I might try and edit a version of this map to see the results.

Kewn wrote:
Just wanted to bump in here to say this is the greatest thing.

Oil_Rope_bombs wrote:
I think you guys are just bad,

Jas123c wrote:
kathy wrote:
muncher.gif

this is a very serious question, please help :(

Post subject: Re: Ezaelia Forest Alpha (Video)
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:02 am 

I really liked seeing your design process. Very clear and well thought out. Your map plan diagram is so neat :O

Excited to give this a try :)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:57 pm 

Quote:
The droids that go to the bottom lane will stop at the glass platform and drop down to the jungle if they don't see anybody around. This is odd because they pass over another glass platform on the way there and keep going.

This might be because you built off of Ribbit instead of from scratch and there's still AI nodes and NamedAreas sitting around this area that's making the droids do this.

Quote:
The Blue team is getting stuck behind their own team wall (the very long vertical one at their base) I don't know why, it's set to TEAM_ONE already.

Did you mirror this area from Red's side? Cause there's probably another Teamwall set to "Team_Zero" in that same spot. (There's usually 2 walls used here so the area only opens when both the top and bottom back turrets go down)

Bonus stuff I noticed:
To fix the droppods going through the floor; change "respawnCollisionHeight" on the droppod spawns to set when they will crash, instead of going through the floor.

I'm guessing teleporting right at the team drill is another side effect from using Ribbit as the starting point of your map, you can change this by moving the NamedArea "TeleportpositionZero" and "TeleportpositionOne".

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:59 pm 

BurkusCat wrote:
I really liked seeing your design process. Very clear and well thought out. Your map plan diagram is so neat :O

Excited to give this a try :)

Thanks dude! It's going to get better and better, so watch out!
RoachCake wrote:
This might be because you built off of Ribbit instead of from scratch and there's still AI nodes and NamedAreas sitting around this area that's making the droids do this.

That was the problem! I have a lot of named areas to clean up and change around :tear:
RoachCake wrote:
Did you mirror this area from Red's side? Cause there's probably another Teamwall set to "Team_Zero" in that same spot. (There's usually 2 walls used here so the area only opens when both the top and bottom back turrets go down)

Dude your insight is so spot-on, it's crazy. And you just taught me how to link the wall to both turrets.
RoachCake wrote:
To fix the droppods going through the floor; change "respawnCollisionHeight" on the droppod spawns to set when they will crash, instead of going through the floor.

!!!I will try this.
RoachCake wrote:
I'm guessing teleporting right at the team drill is another side effect from using Ribbit as the starting point of your map, you can change this by moving the NamedArea "TeleportpositionZero" and "TeleportpositionOne".

I figured this one out, if I knew using Ribbit as a base would create it's own unique problems I would have planned better, but it's worth it to have the level feel accurate and up-to-spec. I hope you check back soon, your feedback is juicy and I need more. :chew:

Post subject: Re: Ezaelia Forest alpha (New Level Tour!)
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:22 pm 

Does anyone know why all textures are removed when you start using a base level? It seems like it would make a good reference for the proper way to handle textures and animations. :huh: