Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.

Post subject: Mafia Hosting Tips
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:28 pm 

So I was told to make these, so here we go.

I'll start off by saying hosting a mafia game, specifically a role madness mafia game is what I'm going over because everyone's hosting these, hosting a role madness game is a way harder job than it sounds. No matter how you perceive it, it will probably be way harder than you think.

First, I want to go over how you should probably act as a host.

Tip 1: Don't say anything stupid

Don't confirm anyone's role unless they die. Don't let anyone confirm their own roles. Don't try and make something up. Don't lie for the sake of lying. Don't try and mislead players. Don't be aggressive to your players. Just don't do anything dumb that might make people leave out of frustration or anger.

Just don't say anything stupid.

Tip 2: Your word is gospel

Kind of an extension of the previous tip, but it's very important. Every word you type, everything you say is the word of the king to your players. They absolutely listen to almost everything you have to say. Give them only the bare bones, nothing else. Don't imply anyone's role in anyway. Don't imply the existence of roles. If you're ever asked "Can I be inspected by a cop." DON'T ANSWER anything like that. If you do, you just confirmed a cop in your game to them. Be careful what you answer and how you do it.

Tip 3: Be friendly and proactive

Ask people, ask how they're doing what they think, be more active towards them rather them reaching out to you. It's minor but to them it could be major.

Tip 4: Admit your mistakes

You have to. 100%. Every mistake you made, as soon as you find out, or told it, needs to be addressed. You cannot leave it bubbling under the surface, it only gets worse there. It gets catastrophic by the time it affects your game. Now this isn't to say you need to openly admit on the forum every mistake, but if you mess up a PM, just say to that person you messed up, because again, every word is gospel.

Tip 5: Be prepared to lose time.

The game is only half as fast as you are. Part of the speed is your update speed, kind of like an internet browser.

Now, I'll be going over Role design, because in my eyes, role design is the backbone of the game, and is, without a doubt, no matter how well you did on everything else, roughly 50% of your game. If you have bad roles, you just have a bad game overall.

Tip 6: Be more afraid of being the same, than anything else

I ask you to be creative with your roles. Try something new, no matter how stupid it can go. There's are SEVERAL different ways to interpret how a medic, a cop, a vigilante works. A medic can possibly save themselves, a cop can be told everything or nothing, a vigilante can have a limited amount of kills, it can go a near infinite amount of ways. Try something new, try new roles, just don't copy EVERYTHING. Do something restrictive that makes you think outside the box. Your game will be boring if you reuse everything

Tip 7: Balance

This is definitely hard because we all have our own interpretations of balance and all that, check balance forums here. But at least try. Ask yourself questions. "What if this player died day 1? Does that ruin chances dramatically?" "What if this player is the last?" "What happens after ___ happens?" "Is this role actually useful to ___ faction?"

Tip 8: It's the little things that count

I'm using my game as an example. WinRar never had the 30 day until your powers go away restriction 4 days before my game was going to launch. People thought that was hilarious. That was nearly impossible to happen. Clippy wasn't in the game same time. Clippy was barely relevant ever, and somehow his death overshadowed an actual player's. The little points of story that can come from a role, the little role details and slight chance interactions are what can make your game amazing from good. These are the most memorable moments. Make them happen.

Tip 9: Make more roles than you'd allow

If you're hosting for 20, make 30 initially so you can cherry pick the best out of the 30, instead of keep roles that aren't that good.

Tip 10: Have counterplay

Does mafia have a way to counter a medic? Does town have a way to counter a strongman? Have each role have 2 counters, but not hard counters in a way that nullifies an entire role.

Tip 11: Have good nerfs/buffs.

What I mean by this, is make it fun and don't fight human nature. Don't do something like this:
"Ok, you can only investigate every other night."
"But I want to investigate every night."
"But, you can't that'd be too good."
"But I want to."

People wanna do things, people wanna be active in the game and have an impact, it's why we play, don't try and take that way.

Next is host management.

Tip 12: Plan every possible outcome

And I don't mean just plan around every outcome, what would you DO if this happened. If you roleblock a medic, is that player still healed? What would you PM to the roleblocked, the medic, the victim. If you attack a godfather, what would you PM to all the parties then? Keep track of the order things happen, keep track of what people receive when it happens. Keep track of how buffs and debuffs work in your game. Keep tracks of what abilities nullify others and how everything can possibly work. This is an insanely nerdy job, but it's better than improvising.

Tip 13: Write EVERYTHING down

My google doc of Game 7 is 50 pages long. Of PM's, PM's I sent, encryptions, possible encyptions, all the roles, all the statuses of players and when clues were used, when codes where guessed, and what was guessed. I 100% encourage this, it saved me when I messed up SlowWolf's PM I made day 2 that I deleted by the time it was day 5. It saves to write EVERYTHING down so you can refer to it later.

Now on player interaction.

Tip 14: Relax

Don't panic when someone leaves. Don't panic when a player has to be killed. Don't panic when you have to enforce rules. Don't panic when your games getting swept by one faction.

Tip 15: Come up with a good theme

Make sure research isn't necessary. Make sure everything is common knowledge. Don't force people to have to know everything about a game or a movie or something to have the best chances, it's not fun.

Will edit later if I come up with anything else.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.