Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Swords & Soldiers II

Post subject: Crash on startup with Steam Play/Proton on Linux
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:35 pm 

Swords and Soldiers 2 beta 2.1.2 on Linux Mint 18.3 (64-bit) via Steam Play (Proton version 3.16-3 Beta) crashes on startup after briefly showing a black window.

ApplicationOther5.log file when using DirectX: https://pastebin.com/u0Bv4AWi
ApplicationOther5.log file when using OpenGL: https://pastebin.com/KRavHtkc

My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, and the version of my NVIDIA drivers is 396.54. Other Proton versions show the same behavior.

Unfortunately, the stack trace only contains raw memory addresses, and no symbol table is provided with the game. Any hint as to what may be causing this crash would be greatly appreciated (particularly in the OpenGL version, as it seems to make more progress before crashing), as native overrides for affected libraries (specified by the user via winecfg) often solve issues like this.

Post subject: Re: Crash on startup with Steam Play/Proton on Linux
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:19 am 
Ronimo Team Member

We don't support Linux for S&S2, but it would be cool if you got this to work of course. :rae:

In the OpenGL logs I don't see anything useful. It seems to crash when rendering first happens. Relevant here might be that first rendering happens on a thread other than the one where the window is created by SDL2. That's as intended but maybe the emulator doesn't like that? Or maybe it's something else altogether.

The DirectX log is more interesting. Apparently it can't load the most basic of vertex shaders (which is also the first one that's ever loaded):

ERROR HRESULT in DXShaderManager::loadVertexProgramFromFile: -2005529767 (D3DXERR_INVALIDDATA)
Failed to load vertex shader "vs_flatColour" with Error: :16:23: error: syntax error, unexpected NEW_IDENTIFIER

In both cases the driver info in the logs looks fine to me.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:52 am 

Thank you very much for the response, this is actually quite helpful!

I'll try to make some more adjustments (NVIDIA driver downgrades/upgrades, library overrides, perhaps switching Linux distro) to get the game to run, and I'll be sure to report any successful configurations.

Once the game releases publicly, I'll also open up a ticket on the Proton issue tracker and post my findings there (I've been hesitant to do so while the game is not yet available for purchase, to avoid unjustified beta-specific reports of incompatibility causing a poor first impression for Steam Play users interested in playing it).

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:32 am 
Ronimo Team Member

That OpenGL crash you get might actually be fixed in the next beta update: there was a mistake in how we handled threading in combination with OpenGL. On most PCs this didn't cause problems, but on some it caused crashes and it might also be the cause for the crash you get on Linux. There will be another beta update next week, so it's worth a try to try again then.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:39 am 

I have also faced the same error on my system and my system runs Windows 7. I have also visited fix epson error code 0xf4 but found no solution to fix the error