Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Swords & Soldiers

Post subject: Invented Faction - Monsters
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:57 pm 

Hello fellow S&S fans! I invented a faction. It's pretty good. Here it is.

< The Monster Army >
Self-explanatory really. There are no stats (except maybe hp) because I'm lazy and I doubt this will be put in the game anyways. If it somehow is, Romino can make up stats.

Edit: This is kind of not true. What I really meant to say is that I didn't want to (or feel like) putting up all the numbers for all the units and spells. What I did do is put a description that's pretty general, but specific enough so that you can get a feel for how I intended the unit or spell to perform.

I have noticed that there is a day-night cycle in the game, and yet it does not affect the game in any way. Noticing this, I used that opportunity to create an army based around the day-night cycle. Basically, this army is very powerful during the night, and pretty weak during the day. To compensate, it has the weakest ultimate spell out of all the armies (probably).

< Leader >
Who cares, it doesn't affect the game. :ugeek:

< Units & Tower >

< Vampire >
Basic melee unit. Stats similar to that of Chinese swordsmen. Special trait is that when it kills a living unit, it regains a flat amount of health. In daylight, takes large amount of damage over time (enough to kill in maybe 5 sec). When the Vampire dies, it turns into a pile of ash (no corpse for Necromancer :lol: )

< Lich >
Combined ranged unit and mana regen source. Would probably have low hp (maybe Jaguar's amount). Lich's ranged attack does very low damage (maybe 2, 4 damage per sec), but damage is converted to mana. Basically, if the Lich deals 4 damage per second for 5 seconds, he will have dealt 20 damage, and you would also have gained 20 mana. At night, the Lich has a longer range attack and deals more damage (and therefore you regenerate more mana).

< Zombie >
Similar to Berserker, but slower (as fast as Sun Giant) and does slightly less damage. Health would be about the same as Berserker. If it kills a living unit, that unit becomes a zombie. At night, the Zombie moves faster and deals more damage.

< Werewolf >
The most powerful unit available to the Monster army. Would have maybe 200 health (50 less than Sun Giant). He would deal high damage, move fast and attack slightly faster than Berserker or Jaguar. Each attack would stun for a long enough time so that, if uninterrupted, the Werewolf's target would always be stunned. In daylight, the werewolf would become a ragged man, with low health, speed and damage.

< Tower: Chained Troll >
It's a chained troll. Using its large club, it deals damage to all units in front of the tower up to a short distance away from the tower. In daylight, it turns to stone and cannot attack.

< Spells >

< Resurrect >
Turns one corpse into a zombie.

< Ghostly >
Turns one allied unit into a ghost for a short time. Ghostly units cannot attacked, cannot be attacked, are not affected by spells and pass through all units.

< Confusion >
AOE spell, has same area of effect as poison. Enemy unit walks in opposite direction for short time, and takes damage at the end of that time. Does not affect workers or non-living units.

< Dark Cloud >
Is cast on allied unit and follows that unit. Lasts for 10 or 15 seconds. Affected unit acts as if it is in darkness.

< Ultimate Spell: Eternal Darkness >
Would be cheaper to cast and research than other ultimate spells, and have lower cooldown (maybe). When cast, it immediately becomes night.

< Tech Tree >

Column 1: Zombie --> Resurrect --> Chained Troll

Column 2: Vampire --> Confusion / Resurrect --> Werewolf

Column 3: Lich --> Dark Cloud --> Eternal Darkness

Column 4: Ghostly --> Dark Cloud

Edit: If you have ways to improve the Tech Tree, post a comment telling me how I should improve it. This setup is arbitrary.

< Summary >

As you can see, the Monster Army is weak but still playable during the day. This is offset by Dark Cloud, which is probably best cast on ragged man to turn him into a Werewolf. Eternal Darkness is probably the weakest ultimate spell compared to the other factions, but it means more stomping with your better units. I personally think that the units and spells in this army have very good synergy. In fact, it may even be overpowered. Still, if you think about it it's not perfect. The most obvious weakness is the lack of AOE damage. All factions have more units and spells that have AOE effects than the Monsters do, if you count ultimates. The only AOE damage in this army is the Chained Troll and Confusion. However, this is offset by the massive amount of stuns and other effects. There are 2 units that can stun, a spell that can summon a Zombie, the Zombie itself can create more zombies, and an AOE spell that is better than a stun.

Overall, I believe that the Monster Army is a very complex and powerful faction that could add a lot to S&S. :monkey:

Comment with praise/feedback/criticism.

Note: I am constantly editing this, so don't be surprised if there are changes.

Last edited by Oddnoxious on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Invented Faction - Monsters
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:44 pm 

It's a really cool and well thought out idea, but I dont remember a historic faction of monsters! :P

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:31 am 

The Beast wrote:
It's a really cool and well thought out idea, but I dont remember a historic faction of monsters! :P

I dont remember a historic faction with ninja monkeys either :P

YouTube:TheUltimateShade667 for fighting game highlights and speedrunning archives.
Twitch.tv/Shade667 for live speedruns (currently not very active)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:22 pm 

Touche

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:56 pm 

The Beast wrote:

I know this isn't a historical political faction that actually existed, but I feel that it is both a good faction and appropriate for the kind of design and art in S&S. That's just my opinion though, and some will say that S&S should only have historical factions. Personally, I believe that Ronimo did not deliberately choose historical factions; I think it just turned out that way. Also, all of the creatures and the tower (troll) are all historical creatures that have existed in fiction for centuries. So it's technically a historical faction in that sense. :geek:

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:30 am 

Oddnoxious wrote:
The Beast wrote:

I know this isn't a historical political faction that actually existed, but I feel that it is both a good faction and appropriate for the kind of design and art in S&S. That's just my opinion though, and some will say that S&S should only have historical factions. Personally, I believe that Ronimo did not deliberately choose historical factions; I think it just turned out that way. Also, all of the creatures and the tower (troll) are all historical creatures that have existed in fiction for centuries. So it's technically a historical faction in that sense. :geek:

Yeah, like if Greek were a faction, there would be minotaurs and Medusa and all that jazz :)