Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Swords & Soldiers

Post subject: Boulder = self gimp?
 Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:00 pm 

Since the boulder can crush your own units aswell, you'll likely take some losses while using it. Your workers are always spread out and you'll definately lose atleast half of them, and since your enemy likely has a tower up in their base, you won't be able to gimp his economy at all. Sure, you might crush all the weaker units your enemy has but it still takes some time to retrain all those workers while your enemy pumps out more troops.

So I'm asking, is using the boulder really worth it? I understand that in some maps and situations the boulder is wonderful but unlike the dragon and Mr. Thor's hammer it can't be used as much.

Post subject: Re: Boulder = self gimp?
 Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:10 pm 

Practiss makes perfect :P

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:38 am 

I had huge success using the boulder as a "come back" option... the enemy destroys your front most tower, sacrifice a lot of units till you reach boulder mana, maybe more to kill of some tough units using poison. Boulder out. Retrain miners asap and your front tower. Kill of enemy units close to your base with poison.

If timed correctly you will win more than you lose and make progress (of course, try to avoid killing your workes, but i allways loose 1/3 of them)

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:00 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Indeed, unlike the Hammer of Thor, the Boulder is not always useful. Coming back from a heavy attack is one useful way to use it. The Boulder is quite complex to use well, as it gets better in combination:
-Sacrifice some units before casting it, so that you have less to loose.
-Be sure to leave a Necromancer living near the battlefield: it will have lots of corpses to raise against a heavily weakened enemy.
-The boulder instantly destroys the tower it hits. So you can immediately build a new tower on that spot, it you are close enough.
-Never cast a boulder if most of the enemy's army is behind one of his towers.

If used well, the Boulder can turn the tide of battle. :)