Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Swords & Soldiers

Post subject: Stategy ?
 Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:59 pm 

I've bought S&S. I love it, but one thing bugs me.
All the reviews say that there's is so much depth and strategy, but honestly, I havent really discovered them. My strategy was kinda this:

Get as much gold diggers as fast as possible.
Get all the upgrades as fast as possible
Send all your troops as fast as possible.
Wait until enemy is dead.

It worked troughout the Viking Campaign, Part 9 of the Aztecs campaign and part 5 of the Chinese campaign.

So my question is: Is there actually any strategy involved ?

Post subject: Re: Stategy ?
 Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:52 pm 

Play against another person...

Or if you lack a friend then play against the hard AI.

Theres alot of strategy within S&S, if your equally faced by it that is.

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:56 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Quote:
Is there actually any strategy involved ?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer:
When you go head to head vs a friend or play vs hard AI, you definately need some sort of gameplan and ability to properly react to what your opponent is doing...

Singleplayer campaign mode is mostly there to ease you into the game (and tell a fun story). This means, especially in the early missions, you don't necessarily need super-clever strategies to beat those missions (it helps though). Later on, and mostly in the Asian campaign, you will need to do some tactical problem solving, but multiplayer/skirmish is where strategic play really shines. In multiplayer you can't always spam gold diggers and upgrades at the beginning of a match, because your opponent might rush you. From there on out a game might lead to anything, but in most cases, reacting properly to what your opponent is doing and making the best use out of your gold/mana will win you the game, and that takes strategic insight.

currently working on:
UI, daily missions, brawls

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:45 am 

I don't have the game yet, im in the U.S. But i already have a strategy For my deadly vikings

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:23 pm 

I found that later missions in the campaigns really forced me to use various units and tactics to great effect pretty well. only certain combos would seem to work well enough for me.

If you want a challenge, play skirmish on a short map.
You will be like 20 metres from the enemy,
and this means that they get units onto you way quicker and you can't afford to buy everything by far. It really brings out the choice making part i think.

S&S uses timing a lot, and setting up a viking berserk rush at the right time can be very rewarding. there is also the stacking of archers into groups as they accumulate at the frontline to shoot, this both makes them way more powerful as a group but prone to loosing a lot of them to area attacks like poison or flame arrows while clustered. A part added to by ying yang spell. many of the spells are fairly complex in use, such as traps, freezing units temporarily, sacrificing, etc. You also choose what route to attack along with signposts. And finally, what units to build most.

So yes, i am very contented with the degree of strategy in the game.
while movement is automated, it is still deep enough to make my head hurt in a good way.

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:24 am 

i like overwhelming enemies with everything ive got!!!

its great to see your army crush even the most largest force!!! and if all else fails then i let me dragon do talking.........BURN BURN hahahaHAHAHA....(EVIL LAUGH)