Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Swords & Soldiers

Post subject: Re: Missing texts
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:10 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Okay, I made a tiny little testing application to see whether changing some things fixes this problem. Could anyone who has this problem download it and run both the .exe-files that are in there ("luminance alpha.exe" and "RGBA.exe"), and let me know what you see? This is the download link:

http://ronimo.hku.nl/Joost/Swords%20...ont%20test.zip

"luminance alpha" is how the game currently handles texts, so I expect that luminance alpha will look broken on computers with this font-block-issue. I hope that "RGBA" will look good, which would mean that I would know how to fix this issue in a future patch.

What you should see, is a black screen, with at the top some leaves and lots of squashed monkeys. At the bottom should be the same text twice, starting with a few letters and then adding more every second for a little while.

So, what are you guys getting?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:29 pm 

Joost wrote:
Okay, I made a tiny little testing application to see whether changing some things fixes this problem. Could anyone who has this problem download it and run both the .exe-files that are in there ("luminance alpha.exe" and "RGBA.exe"), and let me know what you see? This is the download link:

http://ronimo.hku.nl/Joost/Swords%20...ont%20test.zip

"luminance alpha" is how the game currently handles texts, so I expect that luminance alpha will look broken on computers with this font-block-issue. I hope that "RGBA" will look good, which would mean that I would know how to fix this issue in a future patch.

What you should see, is a black screen, with at the top some leaves and lots of squashed monkeys. At the bottom should be the same text twice, starting with a few letters and then adding more every second for a little while.

So, what are you guys getting?

I think the forum software borked the link.. http://ronimo.hku.nl/Joost/Swords%20...ont%20test.zip with all the dots probably isn't what you intended...

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:21 pm 

hmm. i think most people who have this have ATI radeon graphics cards..
I think i had some text problems with other things too before.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:35 pm 

Just thinking, maybe they don't have the font on their PC? Can be something like that or am I thinking wrong?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:40 pm 

yeah. but i thought the text/font automatically downloads when we download the game?
maybe i can try downloadign the font on google .. i just need to know the name of the font

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:43 pm 

Just wait till Joost c this message and give U that answer, maybe that's the problem or maybe not, but testing makes smart

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:51 pm 

xroyyunx wrote:
hmm. i think most people who have this have ATI radeon graphics cards..
I think i had some text problems with other things too before.

That is in fact the card that I'm using and experiencing problems with. I wasn't under the impression that this was such a rare graphics card to be using, although I'm not really up on my sales numbers.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:20 pm 

So I updated the driver for my graphics problem and my problem went away. Might be something good for everyone else to try.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:06 am 

Not an option for me, ATI drivers won't install properly and the Dell ones are a bit old.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:40 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

hariseldon wrote:
I think the forum software borked the link.. http://ronimo.hku.nl/Joost/Swords%20...ont%20test.zip with all the dots probably isn't what you intended...

No use to fix the link, I'm afraid: I already had some other users try it and my changes did not fix this issue.

fadedc wrote:
That is in fact the card that I'm using and experiencing problems with. I wasn't under the impression that this was such a rare graphics card to be using, although I'm not really up on my sales numbers.

There are so many different videocards out there, that any issue that happens on only one of them is a very rare issue, even if that specific card sold well.

fadedc wrote:
So I updated the driver for my graphics problem and my problem went away. Might be something good for everyone else to try.

This suggests that this is not something I can fix, if it is really just a driver problem. Anyway, good to hear at least someone with this problem got it working! :)

I'm going to keep looking for a solution, but I gotta think about more about it, because the obvious solution wasn't it, so I gotta think of other things to try. Difficult this one is!