Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Swords & Soldiers

Post subject: How to beat Aztecs with Vikings?
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:01 pm 

I never win when my bro pick Aztecs and do the massive Dartblowers and Necromancer, I tryed almost all, catapults+frost hammers, massive Berserks+Heal and Rage, Thunder dont kill in 1... well, how to win this tactic? Size of map = Medium

Post subject: Re: How to beat Aztecs with Vikings?
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:15 pm 

Vikings deal with massive group attacks in three ways:

1) Catapult - try to keep it healed
2) Frosthammers
3) Freeze+Rage - freeze just ahead of a row of units so that they bunch up. This bunch can then be raged. This maximises damage so that when your bunch of raged units are poisoned and mostly die, at least they did something more useful than killing one dartblower!

Save lightning for the Necromancers - get rid of them early so that they do not raise as many skeletons. In my experience, though, skeletons are not effective against frosthammers - the problem will be if frosthammers are killed by jaguar pounces and/or poison darts.

I also find it helpful to fight near a tower with an axethrower - the axes really decimate skeletons.

If they keep winning, it might be that they have maximised their economy faster than you, so can outspend. There is no way to beat that!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:37 pm 

:monkey:
1. Don't make catapult - it will be mind controlled (built a Sun Giant -> Sacrifice -> Control :monkey: )
2. Save you rage until the opponent use poison cloud - then use it pass the cloud unharmed.
3. Use frost hammer to pass through the skeletons. Kill the necromancer with double lightnings.
4. Upgrade mana regeneration as soon as possible.
5. Without skeleton wave, Aztec has problem to destroy towers.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:06 am 

I am usually beaten with an axeman rush when I play against Vikings on the net.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:43 pm 

While this strategy sounds strange, i tend to beat Dartblowers/fast Necromancers by overwhelming them by using Beserkers, Axethrowers and Heal.

I start with two early Beserkers, to see what the aztec is up to and to buy some time. I tend to Heal them alot, as long as they are likely to kill these pesky Dartblowers. While that, i increase my worker-count, research Axemen - as well as the first mana-rune -, and start to spam them and the Beserkers in a ration of 3/1 and work on establishing a tower on a nice spot.

Once the tower is on a position i want him to be, i have a decent advandage when hitting the midgame. Often the opponent gets defeated before that - if he declines to throw Jaguar Warriors in his mix.

This is only way i tend to win against experienced Aztecs, when facing them as Viking - as i'm a sucky Viking-Player. :)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:09 am 

1. Spam axes- this is standard Viking bread & butter... really low cd, cheap cost, effective, decent hp.
2. Get a tower ASAP.
3. Start researching mana regen early
4. Lightning=>frost hammers ASAP
5. Wait to send units until he is very close (you may send 1 if you are afraid he'll rush early, if so, you must spam... if not, focus on climbing the tech tree+increasing economy). Your units heal when they are close to your base, very useful except vs Viking b/c of the worker zapping.
6. Save money. Viking units are pretty beefy (except catapult) so you can overwhelm him with units if you save up.
7. Necromancers are the biggest threat. If you have plenty of mana don't be afraid to double zap them.
8. If you have lightning fast reflexes feel free to use rage to plow through poison bomb.
9. Try to avoid using rage as much as possible, since your stacked units will get owned by poison bomb.
10. Don't waste mana/gold on heal. Most mana should be spent on zapping threats and using rage when necessary. Lightning is quite spammable, you just need enough mana to make use of it. Target jaguars/necros/workers, whichever you think is the most necessary.
11. Protip- you can use lightning to prevent his units from stacking (darts) by zapping every other unit or so.

This is a very difficult matchup but I've beaten a pro Aztec player w/ Viking, so it's possible. Key thing is to get an early tower+mana regen and of course protect your assets (towers, workers). This is an uphill battle especially after he gets mind control... if you are rolling in $$$, Thor's hammer might be useful if he has a lot of stacked units (also the coup de grace if you go after his workers during a push). I'm by no means a pro Viking player but I hope my advice helps.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:41 am 

Axes all day son.